UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jun 2019, 4:00 pm   #1
John M0GLN
Octode

Default American metal valves

Hopefully in the right section

Found something out last night when testing an American metal cased 6L6, I had always assumed these valves were glass inside the metal envelope similar to the EF50, anyway I just touched the outside of the valve and found they aren't, I then had a look online and found this,

http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-018.htm

which explained the construction and also said,

“Although the RCA design of metal-envelope valve was far more versatile, and commercially far more successful, than the British Catkin type, it had a serious limitation in that the metal envelope had to be kept at a voltage below that of the cathode. Otherwise the envelope would behave as an anode and collect electrons. For most purposes this limitation did not matter since the envelope was normally 'earthed' to chassis and hence to the negative return of the HT voltage. “

Looking at the data sheets for the 6L6, pin1 on the metal valve is the envelope and on the glass version it is NC, so really the AVO valve data book should have shown pin1 earthed for the metal version, it also makes substituting a glass valve with a metal one slightly more involved if one wanted to.

John
Old 21st Jun 2019, 7:14 pm   #2
ionburn
Heptode

Default Re: American metal valves

This came at a good point. I have been experimenting with a 6K7 today and am finalising a circuit. I saw the 'M' connection in the data book and connected it to ground naturally but it is good to see that is advised. Thank you!
Old 21st Jun 2019, 7:57 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The metal envelope is traditionally grounded: indeed one of the pins on the original octal-base is 'reserved' for this purpose! [later glass-body valves often usurped this in order to accomodate a dual-triode like the 6SL7GT]

I always liked US metal-envelope valves. They were sometimes wantonly overdriven - I remember seeing a design of a "120-Watt" HF transmitter using a pair of metal 6L6 which included water-filled cans welded over the metal envelopes to dissipate the heat!
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 3:50 am   #4
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

By pure coincidence, I had just archived this article on American Metal Valves yesterday.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The advent of American metal valves.pdf (800.3 KB, 91 views)
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 8:10 am   #5
Argus25
No Longer a Member

I have been using American metal valves all my life. They have distinct advantages with the shielding afforded by the metal envelope. There are metal versions of most types.

If they are stored in humid conditions the metal rusts under the paint. If they are smoothed down with 1000 grade paper and treated with organic rust converter and re-sprayed with HOLTS black lacquer that can be restored to an excellent finish with no rust. However if they have been stored well often there is no rust at all. They were/ are much more robust to surface damage that the typical metallised glass types.

RCA also made a 1" cathode ray tube in the same case as a metal 6L6, with the metal to glass bond for the faceplate.

Many manufacturers went straight for a metal 6k7 for a radio's IF just to avoid a shield assembly required for a glass type.

Also, one of the most revolutionary metal valves ever produced was the 6AG7. It was created especially for video output stages in pre-WW2 TV sets. Prior to that the valves used were borrowed from other types such as the 6AC7 or the 6V6. It's very difficult to out class a 6AG7.

Last edited by Argus25; 22nd Jun 2019 at 8:28 am.
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 9:08 am   #6
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_VK5TM View Post
By pure coincidence, I had just archived this article on American Metal Valves yesterday.
Very interesting article.

Thanks

John
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 9:27 am   #7
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
Also, one of the most revolutionary metal valves ever produced was the 6AG7. It was created especially for video output stages in pre-WW2 TV sets. Prior to that the valves used were borrowed from other types such as the 6AC7 or the 6V6. It's very difficult to out class a 6AG7.
I've built a crystal oscillator with a 6AG7 and I'm using this as my excuse for not checking whether the metal shells needed earthing, the 6AG7 shell is internally connected to the suppressor grid and automatically goes to earth so I've never had any shocks off it.

John
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 10:05 am   #8
G4XWDJim
Octode

The 6AG7 is one of the valves on my list to try as a suppressor grid modulated QRP PA transmitting valve. I have a few ready to try when I can get round to it. Has anybody else tried it - was it effective. Is g3 big enough to exercise control.
Jim
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 1:36 pm   #9
John M0GLN
Octode

I was going to reply to this question by saying that as g3 and the shell were connected, it probably wouldn't work as they would both rise to the anode voltage now they were not earthed, however I thought I'd better check first and have found this out, there seem to be 2 variations, the General Electric data sheet which you would assume would be the definitive one shows g3 and M on pin 1 with pin 3 NC, however I also found another diagram showing g3 on pin 1 and M on pin 3, I checked my valves and I have both, the one in my oscillator has the GE base with both on pin 1, but the 2 others I have are wired separately on pins 1 and 3.

John
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 2:11 pm   #10
Argus25
No Longer a Member

I'm pretty sure the valve was designed by the television department of RCA, not GE. Looking at RCA's data sheet, G3 is connected in the valve to the "shell" and to pin 1 and therefore behoves the user to ground pin 1.

I have not seen any variation of the 6AG7 that was different from this, and every 6AG7 I have seen was a metal valve, they were never made as a glass variant, as far as I am aware.

Pin 3 is N/C on a 6AG7.

Last edited by Argus25; 22nd Jun 2019 at 2:16 pm.
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 3:42 pm   #11
John M0GLN
Octode

My apologies as I seem to have got my pins mixed up, I've re-checked my 3 valves and M is on pin 1, but to confuse things for me both the Radiomuseum,
https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6ag7.html
and the Valve Museum
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0042.htm
show M on pin 3, however the Valve Museum also have a pdf which shows pin 3 as NC.
Someone's mixed things up like I did.

The RCA data sheet is as you correctly write showing pin 3 NC and also that they were the developer.

So it looks like modulating g3 as G4XWDJim would like to do is impossible as it's going to rise to the anode voltage without the earth.

John
Old 23rd Jun 2019, 10:47 am   #12
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Here is a project with an American metal valve and a British radio:

http://worldphaco.com/uploads/THE_ED..._640_RADIO.pdf

The reason the chassis in this radio looks much better than anyone else's 640, is because it gets rubbed down with WD-40 every year. But because people don't understand WD-40 very well they are reluctant to use it for certain applications and there are many myths about it that are believed.

I have recently performed an "accelerated corrosion experiment" involving approximated steel and brass, with a control, in a hostile environment that has confirmed the excellent corrosion inhibiting effects of WD-40. I will post it within the next two weeks.
Closed Thread