UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jul 2010, 8:46 am   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Bakelite sheet and other items.

Occasionally forum members have asked about sources of paxolin and ebonite sheet. When looking at the website of a German vintage electronics supplier I came across this, which I quote verbatim. The size is ambiguous - ie, does it mean 49.5cm x 28 cm? I assume that it does, because 28 square cms as stated makes no sense. However, if he used the squared notation as shorthand to infer a square sheet, 49.5 x 28 isn't a square - it's oblong, rectangular, or whatever.

Maybe something is lost in translation, but if it does indeed mean a piece of bakelite 49.5 cms x 28 cams (19.5" x 11.25") it's remarkably cheap, even with P&P on top!

The link is here:

http://www.die-wuestens.de/eindex.htm

Might be worth a look for anyone on the lookout for say a panel for a 20s/30s vintage radio.

Hope that's of interest.

David
Old 15th Jul 2010, 10:24 am   #2
bluepilot
Heptode

Default Re: Bakelite sheet and other items.

Looks like the guy is German, so I would tend to place more trust in the German verion of the site. If you look there, it's described as "Hartpapier", which translates as "hard paper", i.e. some sort of resin-impregnated paper. Bakelite may well be a mis-translation as German for Bakelite is "Bakelit". I suspect you're getting some sort of fiberboard rather than real Bakelite.
Old 15th Jul 2010, 10:50 am   #3
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Is real Bakelite still allowed to be manufactured? I'd have thought all the Phenol might be very hazardous to health.

http://www.inchem.org/documents/iarc...27-phenol.html
Old 15th Jul 2010, 2:02 pm   #4
Guitarist28
Heptode

Hi Dave,
I would have thought that the manufacture of Bakelite in this day and age is highly unlikely. This would not be due to the toxicity of phenol but more done to its durability, resilience and molding capacity. In this regard, Bakelite compared to modern plastics is a truly 'crap' product as it breaks easily and can't be molded well at all.
Unfortunately, its looks great when polished up which is unfortunate for all of us!

Regards

Rob
Old 15th Jul 2010, 2:15 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Maybe it's some form of synthetic resin bonded paper (SRBP) - Paxolin perhaps?
Paxolin sheet, tufnol etc, is widely available from suppliers in the UK, but is quite expensive.

Whatever it is that's on offer, I thought it sounded cheap, at just 8.9 Euros (about £7.50) for a 5mm thick sheet, but I didn't explore the postage costs to UK.

David
Old 15th Jul 2010, 8:47 pm   #6
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I think smaller items have been made until recently .I saw a repro Bakelite cased clock a few years back that was definitely new.I think urea formaldehyde type of thermo sets are still used for some switches and sockets ,
What type is melamine?
Closed Thread