UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2010, 8:05 am   #1
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Smile Can we have a new list of 'recommended' suppliers?

I saw that the ‘supplier’ section of the main website has been removed because it is out-of-date and was wondering if it might be a good idea if all the experienced restorers shared their experience of sourcing parts for repair work.

A quick search on the Internet brings up lots of sites, and if it were Ebay anyone could quickly get an idea of what they were like by their star rating. Is this a good time to get a new list of ‘recommended’ suppliers with some sort of feedback on their performance?

Perhaps we could have a standard format with some kind of rating?
For example:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Company:
Tel No:
Email:

Can supply: Capacitors / Resistors / Valves / Cabling / Hardware

1-5 stars - Help & advice with product selection
1-5 stars - Prices
1-5 stars - P&P costs
1-5 stars - Speed of order processing

Comments:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I can imaging that the rating might cause a few problems (I can feel the moderators blood pressure rising as I type!), but can we at least go for an up-to-date list of suppliers that members regularly use and are happy to give repeat custom to?

Personally my ideal supplier would be happy to offer advice on component choice, have all the bits I need at a reasonable price and a fair rate of p&p. I am also a bit of a fan of small independent outlets.

Finally, if anyone would like to PM me any to avoid I would appreciate it!

So what do you think?
Chris
Old 22nd May 2010, 8:24 am   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Can we have a new list of 'recoimmended' suppliers?

I will put this to the other moderators.

It is highly unlikely that we would agree to your star rating proposal. This is a public forum, it can be accessed by anyone even non members.
Old 22nd May 2010, 9:43 am   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Most suppliers have more expensive lawyers than we do.

Methinks it would be a recipe for disaster!
Old 22nd May 2010, 9:52 am   #4
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Perhaps another way is for people to "propose" a supplier for listing and if a certain number of people second it (or at Paul's discretion!) then it gets listed. That way, we know that the supplier is really being used and it wouldn't have got that far if there was a problem with them.

I find the "star" rating difficult to apply. Does five stars for delivery mean they came round and delivered it personally ? And prices, well, they are subjective unless they are excessively expensive, in which case they wouldn't be nominated in the first place.

I would suggest that the supplier were contacted - if they don't know it is listed somewhere then they can't be expected to notify any changes.

Would also suggest perhaps the supplier would then be allowed a paragraph (or set number of words, or something) where they could describe what they supply - I've bought stuff from suppliers before not realising the full extent of what they stocked. I guess it borders on advertising , but in the first place it is triggered by forum users and we aren't talking flash-animated shiney adverts, just a paragraph of text.

To the list of details, I'd add a section where they could list any events they regularly attend (with big red warning that it doesn't mean they always attend - check with supplier).

TTFN,
Jon

PS : The requirement for multiple nominations means that just because a supplier isn't listed doesn't imply they are bad and avoiding any kind of rating should mean that there shouldn't be any nastiness with the system.
Old 22nd May 2010, 10:45 am   #5
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Default Re: Can we have a new list of 'recommended' suppliers?

OK dump the star rating, I can see that it might not work and I don’t want this idea to fall at the first hurdle.

Perhaps replace it with a checklist of what the business offers??

Help & advice with product selection: Yes/No
P&P costs: Based on weight/Fixed minimum price etc
Speed of order processing: Next Working Day/Within 1 week etc

I understand that there are potential pitfalls, but it is my understanding that at the heart of this forum is the concept of sharing knowledge. Those of you ‘in the know’ know who to buy from and who to avoid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_Nukem View Post
Perhaps another way is for people to "propose" a supplier for listing and if a certain number of people second it (or at Paul's discretion!) then it gets listed. That way, we know that the supplier is really being used and it wouldn't have got that far if there was a problem with them.
Good idea, and exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of.

Quote:
I find the "star" rating difficult to apply. Does five stars for delivery mean they came round and delivered it personally?
I really mean, did it arrive whilst you still had some interest in the project! I think next day dispatch is a pretty reasonable expectation for ‘in stock’ items.

Quote:
… prices, well, they are subjective unless they are excessively expensive, in which case they wouldn't be nominated in the first place.
Agreed, although you only know something is expensive if you know where to get it more cheaply.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris
Old 26th May 2010, 11:37 am   #6
BakeliteBear
Pentode

There does not seem to be much interest in this one - is it dead in the water??
Old 26th May 2010, 11:50 am   #7
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

If we leave out the "recommended" part and make it a list of useful suppliers so that we can find where to get siome obscure device or material that would take the controversial element out of it. Entries would include typical parts supplied, especially where these are not widely available. Could include factual stuff like p&p costs and hints on website navigation - even the RS site isn't easiest to find your way around. Avoid anything about rating the service.
Old 26th May 2010, 12:25 pm   #8
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeliteBear View Post
The mods are thinking about this and working out how best to proceed. There are several 'issues' to be considered so we won't be rushing into anything.

Ultimately any decision will be taken by Paul Stenning, the forum owner.

Paul
Old 26th May 2010, 1:35 pm   #9
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Another message board had problems relating to a list of suppliers.
They took legal advice and found that a list detailing who did what, postage charges, etc was fine and as long as they stuck to facts (minimum order charge, for example) they were absolutely safe from the ire of anyone.

The risk was in making any statements regarding the worthiness etc, or otherwise, of any particular supplier.
Old 26th May 2010, 2:13 pm   #10
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Stepney View Post
The risk was in making any statements regarding the worthiness etc, or otherwise, of any particular supplier.
You wouldn't need too really, if you assumed that only the names of suppliers who have given good service would be mentioned, I can't see any forum member asking for a dodgy supplier to be added, but then you could draw the conclusion that those not on the list might be suspect.

John
Old 26th May 2010, 3:24 pm   #11
BakeliteBear
Pentode

OK, so there is some life in this one! I fully appreciate the need to think this through; I was just surprised by the apparent lack of interest in the thread.

Those of you who do a lot of radio work will know exactly where to get all the bits and pieces you require, and indeed will have a stock of parts to dip into. I am the same with vintage telephones, but it has taken me many years to source all my suppliers.

I guess most of us are aware of RS, but I agree that the volume of products they offer is a bit overwhelming and I personally would benefit from someone pointing to the specific components which are suitable for vintage radio repair. Also, for ‘occasional’ radio restorer the P&P rate of some suppliers makes the purchase of a few components uneconomic.

I know useful suppliers are often mentioned in threads. Has anyone archived the suppliers mentioned??

Chris

Another thought...I am a member of the THG (Telecom Heritage Group) and some suppliers offer discounts/deals for members. Perhaps some suppliers might be happy to offer something to individuals who contact them via the forum list?? Perhaps a 'voucher' code or something like that??
Old 25th Jun 2010, 11:00 pm   #12
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeliteBear View Post
The mods are thinking about this and working out how best to proceed. There are several 'issues' to be considered so we won't be rushing into anything.

Ultimately any decision will be taken by Paul Stenning, the forum owner.

Paul

Any news??
Old 26th Jun 2010, 8:22 am   #13
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
I feel that it could be dangerous to have any form of recommendation about suppliers whether good or bad.
I would think a simple list of the companies and basic details of their services could be drawn up.
Forum members could then choose if or if not they used them, comments though can lead to litigation.
Old 26th Jun 2010, 10:30 am   #14
dallaslaff
Pentode

Hi, Trevor's got it spot on, a simple list of suppliers, what they supply, contact details (Web address, phone number, Etc.). This would be a useful tool for all and prevent any contentious problems of rating suppliers. Also, this would prevent repeat threads on "Where can I get, Capacitors, Resistors, PP9s.....?
Les
Old 26th Jun 2010, 12:16 pm   #15
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaslaff View Post
Hi, Trevor's got it spot on, a simple list of suppliers, what they supply, contact details (Web address, phone number, Etc.). This would be a useful tool for all and prevent any contentious problems of rating suppliers. Also, this would prevent repeat threads on "Where can I get, Capacitors, Resistors, PP9s.....?
Les

I happily agree with the above, and would settle for a simple list with contact details and what can be supplied, P&P charges etc.

That sort of list was in place before and we were told that it was removed because it was out-of-date. If that is the case, I can't see what the problem is with updating it.

It is a little over a month since I started this thread and I get the sense that the moderators are not keen! Perhaps the lack of action is down to my ill-considered suggestion regarding ratings. I do fully understand that these sorts of things can get out of hand. If, however, the moderators are simple against the whole idea, please just say so and this thread can be put to bed
Old 26th Jun 2010, 1:41 pm   #16
paulsherwin

The mods are actively discussing this at the moment.
Old 26th Jun 2010, 5:44 pm   #17
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The mods are actively discussing this at the moment.
OK Paul, I will be interested to see what the conclusion will be.
Old 27th Jun 2010, 11:53 am   #18
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

I have seen a few other forums use this method of rating suppliers and I personally think it is wide open for abuse or misinterpretation.

It is easy for people to make comment on a forum on the quality of a supplier but it is one sided. I do not think it is fair on suppliers. As an example you may find a supplier being marked down because his product range is not large enough but what he does do he does very well .pricing is another issue , I have heard it said many times on here that supplier X is too expensive. It is upto the individual to determine if he is willing to pay a supplier's price or not , he should not be marked down for it, there often is very good reason that his prices maybe higher.

It would be better to have an approved suppliers list detailing what they offer and if there is solid proof any supplier is not upto "scratch" in terms of service etc then the Mods can remove him from the list.

As for comments about lawyers get real .... Legal fees for libel etc are horrendous , common courtesy and respect + Mods is all that is needed.

Mike
Old 27th Jun 2010, 12:01 pm   #19
Station X

Quote:
Legal fees for libel etc are horrendous
So they are. That's why big companies like Microsoft with stacks of money have corporate lawyers and can afford the very best people to represent them in court. Little people like us have mortgages and High Street solicitors. Knowing that something is true isn't the same thing as proving it in court.

Any list of recommended suppliers would be just that. Further comment wouldn't be allowed.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Jun 2010, 5:18 pm   #20
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Quote:
Legal fees for libel etc are horrendous
So they are. That's why big companies like Microsoft with stacks of money have corporate lawyers and can afford the very best people to represent them in court. Little people like us have mortgages and High Street solicitors. Knowing that something is true isn't the same thing as proving it in court.

Any list of recommended suppliers would be just that. Further comment wouldn't be allowed.
Graham, you cannot get blood out of a stone. if there is no money to be got from the case you would be advised not to pursue. What they would try to do is involve the IP and get the forum struck off.It is the IP they would go after.

I am not saying Libel from forum comments is not to be taken lightly far from it it is very real. I am saying the system employed should be a service to the suppliers as well as the users.

Mike
Closed Thread