UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jun 2006, 8:35 pm   #1
hmv1944
Tetrode

Default 'Sound Sales' equipment - general interest.

I have been given a large radiogram labelled "Sound Sales" but no model name or number. A label on the (permanent magnet) speaker gives the address of Sound Sales as "West Street, Farnham, Surrey". Inside are two chassis; An RF IF section and a PA section. It did have a deck but this is missing. The large speaker and case may well sound very good. Valve line-up: X65 KTW63 DH63 on RF IF chassis and 6J7 6SN7GT 6SN7GT PX4 PX4 5Z4G on the amp section. One of the smoothing caps is dated JUL 47. There is a large mains transformer and two other transformers, one output and one driver perhaps? I imagine it was a kit but the standard of construction is very good. I wonder if the chassis were bought in from another manufacturer; if so, can anyone point me to possible make, model and circuit? Thanks, Alan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Top-view-PX4-amp.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	4106   Click image for larger version

Name:	top-view-RF-IF-section.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	4107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Under-view-PX4-amp.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	4108   Click image for larger version

Name:	under-view-RF-IF-section.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	4109  
Old 8th Jun 2006, 9:28 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Mystery 'gram with PX4 push-pull amp

Hi Alan,

Not much information here I'm afraid, but Sound Sales were a manufacturer in their own right of various chassis for institutional and high-quality domestic use, at least from the early post-war years until around 1960 at a guess - their products appear in the first Hi-Fi Yearbooks. From the amount and nature of the extra drilling on your tuner chassis, I'd guess that in more basic equipments it carried power supply and amplifier components too: I think most of the Sound Sales items that occasionally appear on eBay have been of that nature, a fairly compact receiver chassis with large round tuner dial enclosed in a metal box for school or similar use. You'd probably be lucky to find any service data. Then again, you're lucky already, as the amplifier's likely worth a small fortune

Paul
Old 9th Jun 2006, 12:16 pm   #3
murphymad
Heptode

Alan,

You have a very nice sounding, extremely well designed and built Amp and tuner in un-molested condition.

It is well worth restoration and will sound far better than you may think.

I have restored a couple of these units and they are well worth hanging on to. Yes they are worth a good deal of money, but hey, it's only money instead of a really nice piece of quality early hi-fi to listen to.

I have the service (in hand written format) to get this going again if you need it, but it really is so simple and reliable you should have no real problems with it.
The original Sound Sales Speakers are wierd to say the least, but sound good!

Mike...
Old 9th Jun 2006, 7:08 pm   #4
hmv1944
Tetrode

Thankyou everyone! The front of the tuner section does indeed have a very large metal dial marked only in wavelengths. The lower part of the coffin style cabinet which houses the speaker is constructed as an enclosed box lined in thick felt on all faces, apart from a small section cut out alongside the speaker which is offset to one side. It is possible that there was a second speaker at one time. I wonder what style of turntable it would have had when new - c. 1948?
Alan..
Closed Thread