UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2010, 5:55 pm   #1
jim_jobe
Heptode

Default Electronic Organ on tip.

If anyone is interested and lives close enough, I've just been to my local tip and there's a large elaborate looking, double keyboard type organ lying there which could probably be negotiated for.
The tip is on Dallamires Lane, Ripon. It's closed for today and I'm off on holiday tomorrow morning so I can help no further I'm afraid,
Jim
Old 2nd Jul 2010, 9:57 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Electronic Organ on tip.

Unfortunately these things are more worthless than a 50's radiogram
I had an immaculate yamaha twin keyboard organ, i ended up donating it to a local care home...

Mark
Old 5th Jul 2010, 6:07 pm   #3
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

Some have a nice pair of 10" to 14" speakers, perhaps suitable for replacements in Valve PA/band gear.
Old 8th Jul 2010, 1:35 pm   #4
jamesperrett
Octode

There are very few electronic organs that have any value these days. I've even heard tales recently of people having problems finding homes for Hammond tonewheel organs which are probably amongst the most desirable amongst organ afficianados. If it isn't a Hammond tonewheel, Vox Continental or Farfisa portable it will probably remain homeless.

James.
Old 8th Jul 2010, 2:07 pm   #5
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Or an EL90.
Old 8th Jul 2010, 6:54 pm   #6
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

The organs James mentions were favoured by professional musicians so they retain their popularity even if only due to their connection with classic bands and recordings. Most others fall into the category of 'home organs' in which field supply now greatly exceeds demand, the latter having fallen to near zero with the demise of home music-making in general. A common scenario is that the offspring of the late owner have the organ in their living room, perhaps have a soft spot for it, but find it redundant because no-one knows how to play it! (One advantage of radios is that even today most people know how to use one, TRF sets excepted.)

Recently I had lined up in my office a 1939 Hammond, 1956 Compton, 1977 Yamaha and a basic 2-manual Italian. Their current values are in the ratios 100:10:1:0. The Yamaha cost £6-8k new, is mint and 100% working, yet the previous owners had advertised it without response and it was threatened with being broken up. Odd, really, that things can become so completely irrelevant in one generation.

Lucien
Old 8th Jul 2010, 10:14 pm   #7
Peter.N.
Dekatron

There is still a demand for modern digital organs such as the Yamaha EL series and tone wheel Hammonds - but that's about all.

Peter
Old 13th Jul 2010, 4:24 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

There's a typical 1970s electronic organ (don't know what make etc) in our local RSPCA charity shop, optimistically priced at £150. It's been there for some time now...

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread