UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2010, 9:37 pm   #1
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Default Cheap rechargeables.

Noticed a few people on various parts of this site looking for rechargeable batteries - perhaps this might be of some use - try Aldi -they do packs of NiMh cells -from memory AA/AAA in four to a pack , C & D in two to a pack at ( again from memory) around £2.99 per pack ,and PP3 ( THINK IT'S ONE PER PACK).
Old 8th May 2010, 9:31 pm   #2
sentinel040
Hexode

Location: Near Lichfield, Staffordshire, UK, most of the time and Crystal Palace, S London, some of the time..
Default Re: Cheap rechargeables

I have also seen AA/AAA two packs of NiMh cells in Poundland, admittedly they are not the highest capacity ever seen but they are more than adequate for some duties. Hope this helps someone.

Ian
Old 9th May 2010, 10:22 am   #3
funkhausen
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Cheap rechargeables.

I've purchased both the Poundland AA's and the Aldi ones, though I can't say much about the Aldi ones yet as the set I had them installed in was stolen! I note that the D cell NiMhs are 4Ah, which compared to most of the competition makes them very good value. Not that 4Ah is much for a D but you'll notice the consumer D's are usually only around 2800mAh.

The Poundland ones I'm not sure about yet, need a few more cycles maybe, they didn't seem to hold a charge for particularly long.

I'd also recommend Home Bargains - they have packs of 4 1300mAh AA Famearts for £2, and an excellent deal on a Camlink charger with 4 AA 21000mAh included for less than £4 I think.
Old 9th May 2010, 10:28 am   #4
funkhausen
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry the Camlinks are 2700mAh! Even better.
Old 9th May 2010, 2:51 pm   #5
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

The pound shop AA rechargeables I've seen have been NiCd. Lower capacity, but they tend to have lower self discharge rates then NiMH.

True NiMH D cells have capacities starting from 4,500 and up to 10,000mAH. They tend to be pricey. A lot of what are sold as NiMH D cells even by leading brands, are just AAs in a D cell wrapper. The volume of AA cells sold, must be many times that of D cells, so that goes some way to explain it.

I've used the Lidl NiMH cells quite a bit, including the Ds, rated at 4,500mAH. (£2.50 a pair) From my rough experiments, the D cells don't manage anything like 4,500mAH, but I gather that the claimed capacity, even with cells from leading brands, tends to be very overstated. Maybe you can contrive some conditions such as some very low discharge rate, where they can do it, when they're new.

The self discharge rate seems to increase quite a bit after a lot of charge cycles, but they're fine for the money. I imagine the Aldi NiMH cells are much the same.

Pete.
Closed Thread