UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2018, 4:49 pm   #1
stereomaster
Diode

Default Amplifier for use with DLS-1 column speakers?

Hi everyone, I am new here and I am very interested in this subject, I just bought a pair of DLS-1, unfortunately without amplifiers. The sound is superb, but I wonder how these speakers sounds with an STD373?

Now my best match is using an old germanium amplifier Korting Neckerman, this is the best sound I have obtained, from 10-12 amplifier, the smallest, ugliest and cheapest of all sound better by far. I used Dual CV40, Optonica 3636, HK 650, HiFi Studio 6000 and many more, even a Bang&Olufsen 2000 de Luxe, Rote , but no better results than Korting.

Now I am looking for a valve amplifier, it is impossible to find an STD373 but I have a schematic, maybe this will help me to look for something closer to this.

If you have the diagram, please send it to me, I am pretty sure that is a classic PP with EL34, but is better to be sure.

If some of you tried with good results other amplifier, please share your experiments, I really don't know which way to go. SE or PP?
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 1:06 am   #2
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: Amplifier for use with DLS-1 column speakers?

Interesting discussion here - https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=141013
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 7:15 am   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Welcome to the forum. Nice finds, did you buy them in Romania? If so how did they get there? Maybe from a school or institution perhaps?

Finding the original amplifiers is going to be tricky unless you have deep pockets, finding original or similar OPT's to build an amp around even harder. However if they did come from a state institution, might be worth asking around schools etc, see what they tucked away in old storerooms. Wasn't isn't there a big music school in Bucharest?

What are the drivers in the speakers, single full range or two/three way?

Andy.
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 12:24 pm   #4
stereomaster
Diode

Nice to see there are still people who apreciate this old but good stuff, today the only word I can hear about the new speakers is "resolution" and "power", nobody seems to want to hear some nice music.

I bought them just judging just the outside, without knowing anything about them, the only label on the right corner is writen more like "D.L.S.I" than "DLS-1", no "EMI" or other word to give me some idea what brand is it, So I found nothing on internet looking for DLSI, I just took my chance, Just seeing the finish I was thinking that may be a quality product...

They were abandoned in a warehouse of the (only) former state record factory, staying untouched and full of dust for at least 20 years. Already done searching every inch of warehouse, ask everybody, looking everywere, no trace. Probably amplifiers gone long time ago, seems that the old guys who worked with them (and know what it is about) are retired or even dead, and the new guys consider tube amps just garbage.

I also bought some small EMI/Capitol speakers and a pair of Tannoy Monitor Gold 15" and others.

I will put up some pictures, the speaker is an EMI oval 13/8 and two identical tweeters in parallel.
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 5:40 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

If you find a new guy with a "garbage" amp to dispose of, you could be on to something...

For DIY, if the speaker drive units are the twin tweeter EMI 13x8 jobs, something like the Mullard 5-10 amplifier would be ideal. Apart from the transformers which you will have to pay the going rate for to get good ones, everything else is readily available and not astronomically expensive.

http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-003e.htm
.........O..Chris....O

Last edited by Herald1360; 2nd Mar 2018 at 5:45 pm.
Old 20th Mar 2018, 12:56 pm   #6
stereomaster
Diode

Some pictures from the storage room where i found them, few details of speakers and on final position with some good company
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2423.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	159530   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2427.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	159531   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3579.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	159532   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2920.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	159533   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2929.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	159534  

Old 20th Mar 2018, 1:08 pm   #7
stereomaster
Diode

Some more details..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2922.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	159535   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2923.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	159536   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2924.jpg