UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Mar 2018, 11:54 am   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Wiring Larkspur power-connector.

I've recently managed to acquire a new Belling-Lee plug/socket of the type used as DC connectors on various bits of Larkspur gear, and want to wire it as the input socket to my R209.2 (previous owner having removed the original socket so there's just a wire poking out of a hole).

The line-socket I've got has a simple press-on rubber cover and no kind of cord-grip for the cable. I'm thinking the 'correct' way to wire this would be to lopp each of the 2 supply-cores round the central 'bollard' part on the rear of the socket before soldering them - that way there will be some degree of strain-relief. Then maybe after putting the rubber cover on, a couple of cable-ties round the tube where the cable emerges to hold things tight?

Has anyone seen how the Army had it done in the 1950s? I half-imagine something like the old type of circular-cross-section rubber-sheathed cable with a couple of strands of reinforcing-string, and the strings being tied off round the 'bollard'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bl.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	158904  
Old 9th Mar 2018, 12:06 pm   #2
ex seismic
Heptode

Default Re: Wiring Larkspur power-connector.

My original one seems reluctant to come apart and I don't really want to stretch the elderly rubber too far. I can tell you that the cable although a loose-ish fit in the cover, seems well anchored when gently tugged.
My experience says that there will be a cord in the cable for securing to the plug, as you think, although I have also seen wires wrapped round posts. All in all not much help I'm afraid!

Gordon
Old 9th Mar 2018, 12:16 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Thanks for the info: I can understand you not wanting to pull yours apart and split the rubber.

Will have to see if I can find some suitable cable-with-string. Only circular cable I can think of that still has string filler is the flex used on irons, but the chequered cloth braiding generally found on that would look spectacularly out of place on a R209!
Old 9th Mar 2018, 2:39 pm   #4
normanmk1
Triode

Hi,
I have an R209 mk1 and had to obtain and wire up the same type of plug. I was told to wrap the wires first round the trough in the end of the pin then solder.Once the lead is fixed tie a piece of lacing cord or heavy thread round the centre bakelite piece of the socket and tie the cores into place to act as a strain relief.
Hope that makes sense and helps.
Good luck.
Kevin.
Old 9th Mar 2018, 3:28 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanmk1 View Post
Hi,
I have an R209 mk1 and had to obtain and wire up the same type of plug. I was told to wrap the wires first round the trough in the end of the pin then solder.Once the lead is fixed tie a piece of lacing cord or heavy thread round the centre bakelite piece of the socket and tie the cores into place to act as a strain relief.
Hope that makes sense and helps.
Good luck.
Kevin.
Thanks - that's pretty much what I was planning on doing in the absence of any other preferred solution.

Now, where's my spool of waxed lacing-cord?
Closed Thread