UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2018, 2:28 pm   #21
Richard_FM
Octode

Default Re: Is there any interest in old VCRs

My parents bought me an SLV-E730 in 1999 for my 21st birthday & it still works just fine.
Old 21st Sep 2018, 2:32 pm   #22
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio263 View Post
Have I missed any more good 'uns?
Surely the HR-7200 (3V29) is a classic? Robust, easy to maintain, very predictable fault pattern, good performance for an "entry level" machine, and they were everywhere until about 20 years ago, in various guises, often enjoying a new lease of life as ex-rental stock in student digs etc.

Both original and pattern (e.g. Konig) parts seemed readily available at very competitive prices until not too long ago, and you could pick up a good fixer-upper for £10 or so at most boot sales.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 21st Sep 2018 at 2:41 pm.
Old 21st Sep 2018, 3:15 pm   #23
McMurdo
Dekatron

I pulled a nice Panasonic out of a skip back in the summer. Nothing wrong with it and the tape inside was fine too. I think it was an NV-F65 or similar. I pulled the SMPSU out to check the pesky capacitors and found they'd been done.

Must've been quite a dear buy when new. I have put it into stock. I am interested in them when they work and they're a decent make!
Old 21st Sep 2018, 3:24 pm   #24
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Surely the HR-7200 (3V29) is a classic? Robust, easy to maintain, very predictable fault pattern, good performance for an "entry level" machine.
I agree and have two in my VHS VCR collection. One is a Ferguson 3V29 and the other, is a Telefunken VR520, with VHF and UHF band coverage, but for UK System I transmissions (made for the Irish market, I expect). The instruction booklet is in English.

I laid in a stock of "clearance" genuine JVC parts several years ago, so I hope to keep them fully operational for many years. Top loader decks have less to go wrong and there are far fewer plastic parts to disintegrate.
Old 24th Sep 2018, 10:08 am   #25
Studio263
Octode

I've always thought of the 3V29 as a bit 'blue collar' (and that the JVC version is needlessly ugly). Also, those nasty little paddle switches that break off too easily? No thanks. Between them, the Hitachi VT-8500 (tough / solid) and the Panasonic NV-333 (slick / stylish) have the middleweight top loader segment of this era covered surely?
Old 24th Sep 2018, 11:04 am   #26
mark2collection
Hexode

I still use my Ferguson 3V23.

It's big, heavy, complicated (by 1980's standards) & performs as well as you'd expect of a VHS machine.

When it gets really windy, I place it in the shed. (Yep, it really is that heavy!)

Later HiFi machines include Panasonic NV-F55 (owned since new) an NV-FS90 (HiFi/S-VHS) plus my trusty JVC HR-S4700 (also HiFi/S-VHS).

Then there's my Red Sony SL-C20.

A snippet of some or soon to be, classics, surely?

Mark
Old 26th Sep 2018, 10:20 pm   #27
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I have two working NV-FS90s (used solely for long-duration hi-fi sound recordings) and a recent LG VCR linked to the TV set. Much of my children's earlier years was captured on VHS or VHS-C, and I am just too lazy to transfer all those tapes to another format.

Being able to play VHS tapes saved me some money last week; a museum was offering a rare archive railway film, at a cost of £20 burned to a DVD, but they had a spare VHS copy which they sent me for nothing!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 11:12 pm   #28
kirstyd
Heptode

Theres an old Ferguson Videostar lurking in one of my customers homes covered in years of dust .The walls are lined in row after row of VHS tapes also covered in thick brown dust with a nice topping of Nicotine
Old 9th Oct 2018, 11:08 am   #29
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have a JVC HR-J665 here which I bought new back in the day. The manual is dated 1999. It is a NICAM (so hi-fi stereo) model with automatic tracking, probably nothing special at the time, but it is still working fine. It has never had any repairs, and I don't think I have even taken the top off.

I use it for playing pre-recorded music compilation and concert tapes that have never been released on DVD. Works fine through the SCART input on my LG LCD TV.

This fits the example of the later higher quality type which is still useful for general use, rather than as a collectable.

I have been looking on eBay for another similar one to use in the bedroom. There are plenty listed for around £30, normally as "working" and often with no remote control. I don't know how many of these actually sell at these prices though. I have just bought an Akai on there for £22.50 with remote control and free delivery, apparently owned by the seller from new (it hasn't arrived yet).

There are loads of pre-recorded VHS tapes on eBay too, though I suspect a lot of them don't sell. All the ones I've wanted I have got as the only bidder, with postage often costing more than the tape.

Overall I would say there is still some interest though not a big demand. As others have suggested, either the early models for collectors, or later hi-fi stereo ones in good condition for general use, would be worth salvaging. Nondescript mono ones, especially if not a decent brand, are probably not worth the bother.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 11th Oct 2018, 7:35 pm   #30
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
...a museum was offering a rare archive railway film, at a cost of £20 burned to a DVD, but they had a spare VHS copy which they sent me for nothing!
Briefly OT: If you are a rail enthusiast, you live in a good place.
Old 11th Oct 2018, 7:55 pm   #31
The Philpott
Dekatron

I will need something on which to play my VHS tapes so if there are more people like me then there is interest. I consider the tapes that i do have as a desirable collection, but the player itself is just 'necessary'. I had 5 players...now have 3, and when they start to act up, (and they eventually will) i will be scuppered until they're mended or replaced. The vast majority of my tapes have turned out to be way more durable than i expected; the only ones that are rubbish were rubbish when they were new.

Dave
Old 11th Oct 2018, 10:33 pm   #32
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

There was a lot of negativity about magnetic tape as a durable format over the decades Dave but it was mainly wrong. It was evident to me that material I recorded and used for a long time from the sixties, was going to sustain despite some adverse experiences. Until more recently 2" Video seemed to be used as a significant archiving medium for all sorts of info by large organisations and stored underground.The same thing is now being said about DVD Discs [as opposed to HD's]. In the end, we wait to see!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 11th Oct 2018 at 10:38 pm.
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 7:34 pm   #33
avocollector
Heptode

The only problem I've had with VHS tapes is white mould that does not seem connected with anything - can appear on a tape between two perfectly good ones!! Otherwise I had one tape break.
Closed Thread