UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2019, 9:03 pm   #1
nigelr2000
Heptode

Default Dansette Popular

I had a man bring me a Dansette in for repair, as usual the red TC-8H cartridge was dead so I obtained one of the new copies that are now available, trouble was the end cap of the cartridge carrier was missing, on this tonearm it forms a part of the cartridge mounting so working from just pictures I designed and printed up an end cap, the screw for it came from a defunct Garrard turnover cartridge I had lying around. The numbers/letters were filled with black boot polish.

I think it looks quite good and the owner was dead pleased when he picked it up today.

These new TC8 copies are great and work well but a bit pricey at £35 inc delivery but at least there is now an alternative to trying to find a working old one.

Pictures of the design and the finished product
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191101_100119.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	192994   Click image for larger version

Name:	dansette.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	192995   Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom..jpg
Views:	158
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	192996   Click image for larger version

Name:	topdan.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	192997  
Old 2nd Nov 2019, 11:29 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Popular

Yes, looking good, but it's still a mono non-compatible cartridge that will spoil modern stereo records. Fine if the owner just wants to play his/her 60s Beatles and Shadows 45rpm singles, though.
Old 3rd Nov 2019, 12:00 am   #3
nigelr2000
Heptode

Default Re: Dansette Popular

He is mainly rock and roll but I warned him about not playing stereo records on it, I did an RGD one for him as well fitted with a stereo compatible cartridge so he will have to use that for his newer material.
Closed Thread