UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2004, 7:45 pm   #1
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Lubricating variable resistors

What magic potions do you find effective on switches and pots? How do you get them inside some of the better sealed parts?

I've just bought a can of PTFE dry lubricant. It's absolutely magic on locks etc as it does not gum up or attract dust. I wonder if it would be any good on pots etc.
Old 27th Mar 2004, 7:55 pm   #2
Steve_Johnson
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Lubricating variable resistors

I normally go for Electrolube EML or Servisol Super10...but yes, getting inside some of the pots is tricky sometimes when there's no obvious hole to squirt in!

Steve J
Old 27th Mar 2004, 8:25 pm   #3
quantum
Retired Dormant Member

I also use Servisol although recently I've used Maplins own switch cleaner - seems to be just as effective although I haven't been using it for long enough to see if there are any longer term implications.

As for pots which are bad and are sealed - I tend to take them apart or if that is not practical I try to replace them with a pot that does have holes for applying cleaner.
Old 27th Mar 2004, 9:10 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Hi all.

The best thing to use on pots and switches is a proprietry switch cleaner. I remember once, someone used an unknown brand of cleaner and it disolved the track in a pot! He thought it was all the dirt running out!. Another time he used it on a system switch in a dual standard TV and it went up like petrol.

You should find that anything supplied by RS, Maplin, CPC or Farnel will be perfectly OK.

You're right about some pots. The really good ones do not have any holes to squirt the stuff in and I've had to take a few to bits. So far I've not had to scrap a pot and always managed to re-assemble it OK.

Rich.
Old 28th Mar 2004, 8:17 pm   #5
PaulR
Dekatron

In my fairly limited experience I have found that just squirting in switch cleaner works for a short while, but the crackling soon returns. I have started to take the pots apart as a matter of course. As much of a problem as dirt seems to be that the spring that carries the wiper becomes loose and allows the wiper to lose contact with the track. This problem particularly affects those with a combined on/off switch, presumably because of the greater use they get.

Taking it apart allows for the careful re-tensioning of the spring. Probably many repairable original pots are replaced when the switch cleaner does not work.

Paul
Old 30th Mar 2004, 3:15 pm   #6
Gordon
Pentode

Quote:
What magic potions do you find effective on switches and pots? How do you get them inside some of the better sealed parts?

I've just bought a can of PTFE dry lubricant. It's absolutely magic on locks etc as it does not gum up or attract dust. I wonder if it would be any good on pots etc.
PTFE is an excellent insulator so I guess would be no good on the inside track of the pot.

Gordon.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 29th Dec 2004 at 12:48 pm.
Old 30th Mar 2004, 4:30 pm   #7
Tim
Dekatron

Might be good for variable capacitors and tuning drive shafts,pulleys etc. though.