UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jul 2016, 11:49 am   #1
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Default Marconi 2019A Error Number 15

Nothing about this in the manual and I can't find anything useful online.

I've had problems with this unit for a long time (I have another thread, as yet unresolved) and had resigned myself to using it for anything above 5MHz only. However, I powered it up this morning and as soon as I tried to enter a frequency, I get '- - - 1 5 - - -'. Anyone know what this is telling me?

Jon.
Old 7th Jul 2016, 12:10 pm   #2
Jonster
Heptode

Default Re: Marconi 2019A Error Number 15

I have come across a couple of faulty 2019s where the fault was caused by a 5v regulator giving a low output. I would check the voltage rails before doing anything else.
Old 7th Jul 2016, 1:30 pm   #3
Ti Pwun
Heptode

In previous voltage checks I tweaked the pots so that the 5v, -15v, 15v & 24v rails were exact but they were only slightly out so that wasn't going to cause a problem (4.8v instead of 5v, for example). That made no difference.

I checked them again today and those voltages are OK. I did, however, find 24.4v where it states 20v and 10v where it states 9v, both unregulated. Whether or not that's an issue, I'm not sure yet. Will keep probing the other boards, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AE1_Voltages.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	127144  
Old 7th Jul 2016, 5:35 pm   #4
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

This seems familiar... about 20 years ago I bought two 2019s really cheap because they had a similar error on the display and the vendor didn't know what it meant.

I think it was error 15 and it's to do with the selection (or health?) of the internal or an external 10MHz reference. The dealer had two of these generators and I bought the first one at a rally and I bought the second one from his house as he lived locally. I think I got the first one for £120 and the second one for £100. This was about 20 years ago and it was a monumental bargain back then.

Have a play with the INT/EXT reference settings or try feeding in an external 10MHz to the rear panel because you can get in a muddle if the settings have been accidentally tampered with. Also, the error can appear at startup only in some scenarios if the oven is cold and it may be that your 10MHz OCXO has failed. On one of my 2019s the OCXO had failed and on the other it was an incorrect setting. It was a long time ago but I think that the error code was 15 on one of them at least...
Old 8th Jul 2016, 3:56 am   #5
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Yes, that definitely is the right area; I had been disconnecting some of the plugs yesterday and the error went away when I disconnected the PLBH plug on board AA2/1, which connects to the frequency standard board AA3/2. I was able to use the unit at that point.

Not sure if the fault is going to be on the AA3 board itself or in the OCXO beside it, but I suspect something on the board is going to be faulty.
Old 10th Jul 2016, 8:28 pm   #6
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Quick update: I was getting 4.3v on the 6.2v zener (D3 on board AA3/2) so I replaced it and the error is gone. Still can't use it below 2.5MHz but that's another story...
Old 11th Jul 2016, 11:44 am   #7
MrBungle
Dekatron

Congratulations. I'm crossing fingers mine doesn't do anything funny. I paid a mere £10 for mine! It came with a body bag of things that had been replaced in it including a full attenuator assembly.

Nice units to work on though - very well designed!
Old 11th Jul 2016, 2:40 pm   #8
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Indeed they are. The 'no output below 2.5MHz' thing is kicking my behind a bit but at least the individual boards can be removed. I added a short flexible extension cable so the top portion can be lifted while the unit operates but other than that, is is very well designed, as you say.

I paid £140 for mine from a member here and I thought that was decent, despite the issues I'm now having with it, but I'd bite the guy's hand off that had one for sale at a tenner, that's for sure - even a non-working 'scrapper'! I definitely want to get this working properly again.

Jon.
Old 11th Jul 2016, 6:46 pm   #9
MrBungle
Dekatron

Interesting - I've had a scan of the schematics and the only frequency reference close to that is the BFO section at 2.03125 MHz. I haven't analysed the full block diagram of it properly yet as merely an end user so YMMV there of course!

The person I purchased mine from was about to take it to the dump. I was at his house 40 miles away in under an hour!
Closed Thread