UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2016, 5:02 pm   #1
Wendymott
Octode

Default OWON digital scope Model SDS7102V

Hi peeps. I know this is not "vintage" but it is test equipment. I bought this scope about 18 months ago from the far east, and when working it is a fantastic scope. However it had an unusual problem, where after switching on and going through its boot up cycle, it works fine. However after being in quiescent mode, i.e no actual input signal... all the functions freeze, and the only way to get it to work again is to reboot. This is very frustrating, as I can be in the middle of some measurements, and maybe pause for a while, then it does its fault mode. I wonder if any of the members have bought this item and come across the same fault.
OWON have replied to my email, suggesting it is a firmware fault, and will send a new system file, but I just wondered if any other member has had this fault... and if the firmware will fix it.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 6th Jul 2016, 7:01 am   #2
DaveVoorhis
Tetrode

Default Re: OWON digital scope Model SDS7102V

I have an older Owon that doesn't do this. A firmware upgrade is worth trying.
Old 6th Jul 2016, 11:02 am   #3
MrBungle
Dekatron

If the firmware upgrade fixes it you're a lucky person.

A lot of the cheaper digital scopes seem to have some serious quality control and software issues from experience. I've had Siglent and Rigol devices myself after taking recommendations on a certain forum owed by a guy called Dave and I'm back on the old analogue crates for the moment now because of software and reliability problems. However it's hard to go back to something without nice things like FFT and automatic measurements. Therefore I'm going to plonk the cash on a feature-wise inferior but better warrantied Tektronix TBS1102B next year and hope I don't get burned again.

As for Owon, I have a friend with an Owon unit that both the channels didn't work at all out of the box. The warranty replacement has more than a few triggering bugs in it as well.

YMMV but I hope it works for you.
Old 6th Jul 2016, 2:27 pm   #4
dave cox
Nonode

Does the scope have the option of a 'full reset', if it doesn't do this on each power up ?

Probably worth checking if there are any online comments about the S/W version before you install it or checking that it can be uninstalled without too much grief Also make a note of the current version.

I suppose overheating is a possibility (although your description doesn't include any time element). If I am in doubt I try operating said equipment in front of my ginormous fan after robustly securing it to the bench

dc
Old 6th Jul 2016, 4:09 pm   #5
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Peeps. I thank you for the trouble of replying...
Mr Bungle...I dont consider it was a cheap buy... but maybe so..with the specification at 100 Mhz and 1G/s sampling, maybe it is too good to be true.. I have had a reply from the makers, but as yet no Firmware upgrade... I have re requested.. Yes I agree Dave Cox..I will note the firmware... and I have the firmware they sent me last year which is installed, supposedly to cure this problem last year... I dont often use this scope, I normally use the Hitachi 60 Mhz analog scope, which is more reliable.
I too was thinking of the TeK 1102...if this does not get resolved I may get one anyway.. If you cant spend your retirement lump sum on decent test gear... what is the point.. Dave Cox./.. I cannot see a "master reset" either in the I/B or on the item..

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 6th Jul 2016, 10:10 pm   #6
MrBungle
Dekatron

It certainly is expensive for the average person indeed. It rather stings to pay that for something. However it's very cheap for a 100MHz oscilloscope simply because the market for such devices is very small. If everyone needed an oscilloscope than we'd be in a much better situation but alas, all the commercial development has been producing phone handsets and LEDs television for under £200 that are actually quite good. I think that's what Owon, Rigol and Siglent are trying to do but we've got to suffer through a decade or so of mediocre devices before we get that quite good one like we did with the handsets and televisions.
Old 8th Jul 2016, 3:58 pm   #7
Wendymott
Octode

Well peeps. I downloaded the upgrade.... eventually... My Dell laptop didnt want to play.. but my tower did...and the soak test of 4 hrs seemed to be ok...so if it continues like that I will be happy.
Thanks for your comments.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 24th Jul 2016, 10:36 am   #8
Paul Collins
Retired Dormant Member

I must be lucky I have Sglent1102CNL, never skipped a beat, that said I still to this day prefer my Farnell cro.
Old 24th Jul 2016, 10:47 am   #9
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Paul... I still have my Hitachi storage scope too.."just in case".

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Closed Thread