UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2006, 5:49 pm   #1
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

Default Noon Opening Time for NVCF?

Has any thought been given to opening the NVCF later, say at noon? I say this because of those of us without cars who have to depend on public transportation, which is abysmal early on a Sunday morning.

It would also be a blessing for those who have to drive long distances to the venue. Now they have to rise at some miserable predawn hour in order to arrive on time.
John.
Old 29th Mar 2006, 6:00 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Noon Opening Time for NVCF?

It is not something that has been suggested or considered before, and I can't see it happening.

With the current opening times people can leave after lunch and get home at a reasonable time even if they have a journey of a few hours. Even the organisers can get home before bedtime, which helps with work the next day.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 29th Mar 2006, 8:23 pm   #3
Alvin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHGibson
Has any thought been given to opening the NVCF later, say at noon? I say this because of those of us without cars who have to depend on public transportation, which is abysmal early on a Sunday morning.
What a brilliant idea!!

Alvin
Old 29th Mar 2006, 9:57 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

If it started later, it would presumably need to finish later - and I quite like being around at the end to pick up the odd bargains from stallholders who don't want to take them home again.

In my case, with a four-hour journey back to Cumbria, that could mean quite a late arrival home.
Old 29th Mar 2006, 9:57 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

So why hasn't anyone:

a) Suggested this formally to the committee?

b) Thought about how this would affect the early entry times and the financial viability of the event?

c) Suggested it for any other vintage radio events - Harpenden, Wootton Bassett, Shifnal, Cowbit.....?

I can't see this being viable for any event because it would shorten the event. It wold have to end at 4pm whatever time it starts if we are to be out of the hall within the alloted time. People won't want to be there any later with work the next day anyway.

A shorter event would reduce the number of sellers attending, which would affect the number of visitors attending, and make the whole event less financially viable. Since the event is already having to relocate to save costs to make it viable, the idea of shortening it (for the convenience of a few visitors) simply does not make sense.

Paul Stenning
Old 29th Mar 2006, 10:02 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll
If it started later, it would presumably need to finish later - and I quite like being around at the end to pick up the odd bargains from stallholders who don't want to take them home again.

In my case, with a four-hour journey back to Cumbria, that could mean quite a late arrival home.
Precisely. Even later for the stall-holders and later still for the organisers. An early start on a weekend is less of an inconvenience for most people than a late finish with work the following morning.

If you have a long journey and are that desperate to get in early, why not stay at a local hotel overnight?

OK, I know why - money. You are more interested in saving £50 than in the long-term viability of the event.....

Paul Stenning
Old 29th Mar 2006, 10:28 pm   #7
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Speaking as someone who frequents about 20 shows/events each year, I would think that a noon opening time would be the beginning of the end - certainly the event I ran last year had almost no-one arrive after 1pm - most of us have other family commitments which are strained on weekends.

From a Wetwood/Sambrook point of view (Radiophile events) we usually set up from around 9 am on the Saturday, and work through till around 9.30 to 10pm that evening, we then retire to a local hostelry for liquid refreshment and a sympathetic landlord

Sunday starts at around 6.30 am for the Stewards, arriving at the hall for around 8am to continue with organisation, once the auction opens for viewing we work flat out then on till around 5pm when the last buyers have gone, have a cuppa, then start clearing up - it is not unknown to be parking vehicles at Radiophile HQ at gone 10.30pm, once an evening meal is consumed and a general chat about planning for the next event we get on our way some time around 1am on the Monday

Add a 2 hour drive for me (some come from further away) and it ends up a very bad Monday......

So, as Paul says there would have to be some extremely compelling reasons to open late, and probably double the volunteer force....

Hope the above info opens a few eyes......

Cheers
Sean
Old 30th Mar 2006, 12:32 am   #8
murphymad
Heptode

Hi All,

The very simple and direct answer to opening the NVCF to the public at any time later than the advertised 10:30 is no!

There will be a shuttle bus available from Leamington Spa station throughout the day, and as it is only 4 miles from the Warwickshire Exhibition Centre, I see no reason why anyone will have to wait at the station very long, so the public transport issue is covered from the railway station. The bus will run from 08:30 until 16:30.
There will be a log of the numbers and times of people using the bus, and if it is not used, it will not be there next year. Simple!

I think the answer with all these types of events is that you will get up early enough and travel if you want to be there.

Mike...
Old 30th Mar 2006, 1:47 am   #9
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

Perhaps the existing hours should be kept but the event switched to a Saturday when public transportation availability is superior at early hours.
John.
Old 30th Mar 2006, 7:51 am   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

John,

You obviously have not read any of the responses above, as you are still thinking about your own inconvenience above that of the everyone else and even the viability of the event.

I suggest you try organising an event yourself to see how much work it is and what's really involved, before coming up with random ideas for time/date changes etc.

Discussion closed.

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread