UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2019, 3:58 pm   #1
JennieB
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ferguson Studio 20D - how to remove turntable

We have an old Ferguson as above where something may have “shorted” when we tried the play a record, and we smelt a bit of smoke. We are now trying to dismantle the turntable to look inside and the screws on the turntable haven’t allowed for it to be lifted.
Should we be going in from underneath the unit? Thanks in advance!
Old 16th Jan 2019, 4:32 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson Studio 20D - how to remove turntable

https://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_mult...erv_manual.pdf

I've never worked on one.

Lawrence.
Old 16th Jan 2019, 5:48 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If there is a "short", it is rather unlikely to be the mechanics of the turntable unit per se.
Please fully explain what happened from the moment you switched it on to play a record. If you have no experience of fault funding on mains operated electronics I would not do ANYTHING until you have more advice from here.
Old 16th Jan 2019, 8:03 pm   #4
paulsherwin

The 20D is a music centre from around 1980. I've no experience of dismantling one, but you don't usually get at the electronics by removing the record deck. I would expect access to be from underneath.

If you are very lucky, the X2 mains suppression capacitor will have failed short circuit taking out a fuse internally or in the plug. However, it could be many things, and you are unlikely to be able to fix it without some basic skills.
Old 17th Jan 2019, 8:27 pm   #5
Silvered_Mica
Pentode

I've just been looking at the service manual that was posted above and it would seem you need to remove screws D in the first exploded view and draw the board out from the top.

If you do manage to get inside it check the fuses, there is one on the back and two inside if one has failed don't just change it and hope for the best as it could do more damage. Post back and let us know how you get on.