UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2019, 12:54 pm   #121
bikerhifinut
Octode

Default Re: Switched or Unswitched Sockets for HI-FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramophone1 View Post
I spent six pounds on a crabtree switched double socket, and I thought that was expensive.
I would hope that what you bought was a "proper" Crabtree socket, manufactured to a high standard of reliability and intrinsic safety

A.
Might be off topic, but intrinsic safety applies to equipment that can be used in explosive atmospheres, either gaseous or dust.

Intrinsically safe power connectors, such as would be used in an oil refinery, are a very specific design such that if disconnected they can not initiate an explosion. ATEX is the relevant standard.

A regular domestic mains plug and socket, switched or not, is definitely not intrinsically safe.
I'm sorry, and maybe i should know better having been involved in such environments for much of my working life.
In a moment of madness I used the more general meaning of the word intrinsic, that is to say that as part of its design and construction it was safe to use in its intended environment. I'm always wary of bargain electrical products these days and it's no guarantee I guess in this era of counterfeiting but I expect my electrician will be fitting proper branded sockets etc etc. He know my feelings on this.

A.

Last edited by bikerhifinut; 18th Jan 2019 at 12:55 pm. Reason: bad spelin
Old 18th Jan 2019, 1:42 pm   #122
Scimitar
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut View Post
expect my electrician will be fitting proper branded sockets etc etc. He know my feelings on this.
Except that many of the "lesser brands" knock spots off the "market leaders" like MK. Give me BG sockets every time. Never will an MK product, bar blanking plates ever cross my doorstep again.
Old 18th Jan 2019, 3:53 pm   #123
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Switched or Unswitched Sockets for HI-FI?

I've used MK for years and gone out of my way to get them, but over the past decade I've become progressively less enamored. Their stuff seem to have been repeatedly improved in the cost effectiveness direction. Finely engineered to be only just good enough for average use.

David
Old 18th Jan 2019, 4:09 pm   #124
Refugee
Dekatron

The last of the good MK sockets has rotary shutters.
The later ones are no better than basic "bulk pack" ones from electrical trade counters.
Old 18th Jan 2019, 10:20 pm   #125
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
Except that many of the "lesser brands" knock spots off the "market leaders" like MK. Give me BG sockets every time. Never will an MK product, bar blanking plates ever cross my doorstep again.
I agree entirely! Old MK stuff from the '70's & '80's was great, although I never was a fan of the classic MK plug with the screw type terminal posts. At least then an MK plug & socket could pass 13A all day without getting hot!

As an electrician, over the last 10 years or so, I've considered MK as the product of last resort. A couple of years ago, I had to use an MK 32A switch with neon to run a ham cooker in a butcher's shop. This was a 23A purely resistive load so well within the switch rating. Firstly, the whole connection arrangement of the neon was dreadful and then after a week the whole thing melted resulting in me having to drive 100 mile round trip to replace it! Replaced with a GET one at lower cost and no further problems.

Their consumer units were made of the most nasty plastic imaginable and I refused to use them at all.

MK's only saving grace so far is their MCB's & RCD's. These still seem to be good quality and I've never had any problems with them so far!

All the best
Nick
Old 18th Jan 2019, 11:50 pm   #126
bikerhifinut
Octode

I seem to have dragged this off topic.
Apologies all round.

I am sure my professional electrician will fit appropriately suitable hardware and quality wiring to a high standard.
I have to trust somebody and as he's the guy with the certificates I can only go with his guidance.

Ok I will let you get back to the humorous electron hunt.

A.
Old 19th Jan 2019, 1:48 am   #127
AC/HL
Dekatron

Topic? Which one?
The original one was a bit tongue in cheek anyway, and it meandered from there.
The OP bailed out at post 75.
Old 19th Jan 2019, 12:43 pm   #128
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: Switched or Unswitched Sockets for HI-FI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
The OP bailed out at post 75.
But unless I am seriously mistaken - and my sincere apologies if I am - post 75 was by dglcomp - who was not the OP: gramaphone1
Perhaps I have misunderstood something . . .

Al.
Old 19th Jan 2019, 1:35 pm   #129
ajgriff
Nonode

The OP has not visited the forum since just after #75 was posted and it would have been the last post he could have read. See public profile. I assume that as a moderator Bill will have access to more detailed information.

Alan

Last edited by ajgriff; 19th Jan 2019 at 1:45 pm.
Old 19th Jan 2019, 1:59 pm   #130
Radio Wrangler

The first few posts provided all the info the OP needed, the rest is just the regulars getting some entertainment from a pet subject. If the site ever seems too bloated, it's fine by me to dump my posts in the thread.

David
Old 19th Jan 2019, 2:02 pm   #131
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Switched or Unswitched Sockets for HI-FI?

O.K. Alan: thanks.

All I was trying to do was to clear some confusion that seemed to have arisen and contribute to the efficient running of this forum.
I have every confidence that the moderator, Bill, AC/HL, is in full control of this matter.
I have nothing else to add.

Al.
Old 19th Jan 2019, 4:20 pm   #132
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
The OP has not visited the forum since just after #75 was posted and it would have been the last post he could have read. See public profile. I assume that as a moderator Bill will have access to more detailed information.
No, just his last posting time, same as you saw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The first few posts provided all the info the OP needed, the rest is just the regulars getting some entertainment from a pet subject. If the site ever seems too bloated, it's fine by me to dump my posts in the thread.
We're occasionally criticised for attempts to keep threads on topic. As a counterbalance threads such as this one run for a while, until the inevitable post too far. This seems a logical place to end this one, so "That's all folks"
Closed Thread