UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2015, 2:30 pm   #1
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Philips B3G63A

Currently restoring my Grandfathers old Philips B3G63A but it needs a bit of TLC. Fortunately I have the Service Manual and Full Schematics for the Radio.

I do, however, have a number of questions.

Took off the back cover (probably for the first time ever) and everything inside seems good but very dusty as you can see in the attached images. Sound is o.k. but turning the dials is very crackly - probably need some Servisol?

Fortunately the dial cords, flexible metal tubes, pulleys and tuning scale pointers are all intact - can these cords be lubricated?

All valves are working and glowing nicely although the Scale Lamp doesn't work - are there replacements to be had for these special Philips lamps, type 8028D-00. It has a clear tubular bulb and an M.E.S. base, and is rated at 6.5V, 0.3A.

As expected the black pitch type capacitors seem fairly leaky but look easy to replace - there's about six in total

I looked up RS Components (UK) for suitable replacements and found three options for one of the capacitors but not sure if these are appropriate for Vintage Radios: -

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/passiv...4294959626&m=1

I also need a 1.6kv ceramic disc capacitor to replace C66 0.001uF on the output transformer - advice please on which type to replace this with?

Apart from these I will replace the the mains lead with a new 3 core cable and look at options to repair the cracked cabinet in due course - see attached picture.

Hope you can help with some of my questions - thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips_1.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	112020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips_2.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	112021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips_3.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	112022  
Old 21st Aug 2015, 9:51 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips B3G63A

Hello Donald and welcome.

6.5V, 0.3A, MES lamps used to be ten a penny and not a Philips special in spite of what they'd like you to believe, but they're awkward to get hold of nowadays. Search online and see what you get. 0.15A would be OK too. CPC seem to have them: http://cpc.farnell.com/lux/6240-99-9...-2w/dp/SC13367

Best caps to use are the MKT1813 series from Vishay-Roederstein. Farnell do them, as do the BVWS if you're a member:
http://www.vishay.com/docs/26013/mkt1813.pdf
http://uk.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/sto...e&pf=110320629

1.6KV sounds a bit extreme. Usually 1kV is ample in this position.

N.
Old 21st Aug 2015, 10:45 pm   #3
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Might be wrong but do BVWS supply non members with there excellent quality componets?
Old 21st Aug 2015, 11:33 pm   #4
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks Nick - extremely helpful and just the type of information I was looking for.

Got the bulb(s) ordered tonight but the capacitors will take a bit more time to research.

Hamish - I'll check out if BVWS supply to non members?

Anyone advise me on lubricating the dial cords - I have Muc-off dry lube and TF2 Lithium Grease from a previous project??
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 12:10 am   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

If the capacitor on the O/P TX is already a ceramic disc, it's likely to be fine. Provided it's across the primary and not anode-chassis its failure would not be catastrophic for anything else.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 3:24 am   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
do BVWS supply non members with their excellent quality components?
Yes, but not at the special Members prices. Along with the goodies package it's yet another good reason to join.
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 2:05 pm   #7
jonnybear
Octode

For capacitors I would use axial type rather than radial, as these will look more authentic, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-047uF-47...3D111436110582.
I repaired a Philips cabinet with far worse damage than yours with car body two part filler, mine had pieces missing, I finished up spraying the case to cover up the problem, unfortunately I did not take photos of the repair, but I did for a similar GEC,https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=107011. If the dial drive wire is broken or rusty, it is best replaced, I have a some if you get stuck.
John
Old 24th Aug 2015, 2:06 pm   #8
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Yes, but not at the special Members prices. Along with the goodies package it's yet another good reason to join.
Had a look at the BVWS website but couldn't find anything on component prices (members or non-members). Also don't know what you mean by a "goodies package"?
Old 24th Aug 2015, 3:48 pm   #9
AC/HL
Dekatron

On joining, members get, amongst other things, a CD of Trader service sheets. It may be on a DVD now, it was 4 CDs from memory. Also, the excellent quarterly magazine.
Attached is the advertisement from the latest issue. Smaller quantities are available at meetings.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf img008.pdf (1,018.9 KB, 695 views)
Old 24th Aug 2015, 4:45 pm   #10
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Cannot praise the BVWS enough for so many positive reasons.
Old 25th Aug 2015, 10:26 am   #11
DonaldStott
Octode

I think I've caught the bug ...!
Just waiting for various components to arrive then I'll embark on the Philips B3G63A restoration.
As the set is working I don't think there is too much wrong with it but I do like to be thorough and careful.

Although I've restored many items of "modern" hi-fi equipment - turntables, amps, speakers (crossovers) I fully appreciate that Vintage Valve Radios are a different kind of challenge so I'd like to learn a lot more about them. There is lots of free advice and guidance on this website under the Repair and Restoration Information Index and I reckon I'll sign up for the BVWS membership as well. I do, however, feel that I need a more solid grounding in the theory and practice of how valve radios work and how to restore them, especially as the Philips B3G63A and myself are the same age!!

The name Tony Thompson crops up a lot and I've noticed these two books on Amazon which seem very similar and are the same price: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vintage-Valv...0493321&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vintage-Radi...0493321&sr=1-2

Can anyone advise on which one is best or if there is something more suitable.

As always any advice or guidance is warmly appreciated and I'm enjoying the helpful and friendly nature of this Forum, unlike some others I've been involved with.
Old 25th Aug 2015, 12:00 pm   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

They're the 3rd and 2nd edition of the same thing respectively.

Both very good and I have the earlier version.

But Paul Stenning's website (which you've already discovered) is second to none IMHO.

Nick.
Old 25th Aug 2015, 1:34 pm   #13
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks Nick - it's the 3rd Edition for me then.

This looks like a serious tome at £44.09 for the paperback: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0750639954/
Old 25th Aug 2015, 3:14 pm   #14
paulsherwin

It's a good read with lots of good anecdotal stuff but you don't need to buy it to work on old radios. 1950s sets in particular aren't difficult to work on for anyone with component level electronics experience. In many ways the circuits are simpler than transistor equivalents. You just need to adjust to the higher voltages, different construction techniques and different common fault conditions.

Some local libraries have copies if you want to try before you buy.
Old 25th Aug 2015, 4:10 pm   #15
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks Paul - really appreciate the quick level of response on this Forum, notwithstanding the quality of advice and guidance which has been excellent so far.

Beware though, there will be more questions once I get the chassis out the case!

Think I'll stick with getting the Tony Thompson 3rd Edition!
Old 30th Aug 2015, 7:19 pm   #16
DonaldStott
Octode

Hurrah - very minor progress today!

Replaced the Scale Lamp - thanks for the link Nick.

(See attached image - glowing nicely).

To get the chassis out I'll need to disconnect the speaker - I'll need to desolder somewhere and the tabs on the speaker seem most accessible?

Any other hidden connections, wires etc that I need to be aware of before completely removing the chassis?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150830_185753.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	112424  
Old 30th Aug 2015, 7:35 pm   #17
Wellington
Hexode

Thumbs up Re: Philips B3G63A

Sometimes (and I'm not familiar with this set) you don't have to unsolder the speaker connections, you can unscrew the nuts on the four brackets around the rim of the speaker, and bring the speaker out with the chassis.

In your first photo, it looks as if the wires to the speaker have been looped and secured in a simple knot. You could try undoing this and that may give you the length of wire required to remove the chassis and leave the speaker in the cabinet. This depends on the insulation on the wires being flexible, though.
Old 30th Aug 2015, 7:48 pm   #18
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks Wellington for your very quick response!

I'll see how easy it is to unscrew the four brackets around the rim of the speaker - hopefully they will budge and maybe a few careful drops of WD40 might help?

I've inspected the looped speaker wires and there is no way that the knot will undo without the insulation cracking - best left alone I think?

I think I'll need to get the speaker out as I need to repair the cabinet.

P.S. Forgot to add that my application and payment to the BVWS has been sent off.

Last edited by DonaldStott; 30th Aug 2015 at 7:49 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 31st Aug 2015, 5:32 pm   #19
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldStott View Post
I've inspected the looped speaker wires and there is no way that the knot will undo without the insulation cracking - best left alone I think?
I think I'll need to get the speaker out as I need to repair the cabinet.
I'm currently restoring one of these sets, and the speaker leads are in a similar condition to yours. I intend to replace them with new wire, being careful to dress them away from the EL84 and any other hot parts on re-assembly.The ones on my set I unsoldered from the speaker with ease, and it was the original factory soldering, so yours will probably be just as easy.
Mine is now functioning, and what a lovely sound and good sensitivity it has!
Just a bit of cosmetic TLC now, and its done. Well worth the effort. Tony
Old 31st Aug 2015, 7:37 pm   #20
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks Tony - always great to find someone who's a couple of steps ahead.

Have you posted anything about your restoration so far and the steps taken.

I'm particularly interested in which cable you used for the speaker as an upgrade would be an easy job? What about capacitors - did you replace the Philips black pitch ones and if so, what with?

Any other advice and/or guidance would be welcomed.
Closed Thread