UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2020, 11:20 pm   #1
davebms
Pentode

Default Philco U647

hello all, a new protect ,or possibly bridge to far, the cabinet is good
the speaker needs a couple patches speaker transformer checks out ok
But 35RE gone, 1d6 fitted, barretter and holder gone, dial lamp and shadow
meter also missing. the chassis rubbers missing and its had a good bashing
the centre sub chassis bent . so a capacitor dropper for LT a resistor for shadow coil ? the schematic u647 not very clear but u638 looks to be the
the same radio (different cabinet ?)I've fitted new electrolytic caps (sticking out of the top (easy to get back out if it fails) isolation transformer variac lamp limiter , the capacitor dropper made the dim bulb not dim!, took two days to work that out ..so I have a second variac for LT (the isolation transformer probably is no longer doing it job)I had the make a wooden frame to hold the chassis Many hours spent, but this evening found MW 5 live ? no aerial turned of let cool down (voltages not GOOD) fire up plug in long wire crikey, lots of stations ..so I think that indicates major parts all ok. need to work out what to do next, its above my pay grade but seems to be a good performer

dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phico 002.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	218391   Click image for larger version

Name:	phico 006.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	218392   Click image for larger version

Name:	phico 003.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	218393   Click image for larger version

Name:	phico 005.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	218394   Click image for larger version

Name:	phico 007.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	218395  

Old 25th Oct 2020, 7:34 pm   #2
davebms
Pentode

Default Re: Philco U647

hello all . the HT was low i have changed most of the capacitors in rectifier out put valve end (No room to get probes on valve pins) took a wire of
the block capacitor tacked new cap (higher value all I had) with a new resistor I got negative grid volts 0n 2151 .removed 1D6 I put a diode and a bridge for LT in an old valve base adjusted LT volts ,still
low HT. turned wave change switch a few times All ok 210v in 250v dc out
Then I plugged in a power/energy monitor. the set draws .2amp =200ma at 27 watts, (the LT is on a separate power supply) if that is correct the 1D6
rectifier is not up to the job should I be looking for another type rectifier, what valve ?

thanks all
Closed Thread