UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2009, 6:19 pm   #1
Dr-Watts
Heptode

Default Spitfire AM Transmitter

Hi all,

I've been after a small AM transmitter for some time now to 'show off' my vintage collection and play some period radio show's on them.
I found such an artical at: www.6v6.co.uk
It cost a little under seventy quid including postage and I'm very pleased with it.
After I'd ordered it, it arrived a couple of days later well packed and the power supply, audio leads and a wire antenna were all included.
After initial set up on the 'factory setting', resulys were OK if a bit noisy.
This was due to beating with another radio station and I hadn't earthed the TX ( Like it said in the manual )
After finding a dead frequency here in Milton Keynes (1503kHz) I set the thing up propperly, earthed the TX to a water pipe in the cupboard where it lives and tuned the antenna using the ATU (Fitted to the TX).
The results are good, it sounds nice and has a good enough range to cover all the radio's scattered around the house with good results.
My only critisism is that it could do with a bit more bass, but if you turn the bass up on your audio source it compensates nicely.
We are fortunate enough to have a large (Ish) Walk in cupboard in the kitchen - right in the centre of the house where all my electronics stuff and records live. This was the obvious choice for the thing to live

Click image for larger version

Name:	TX1.JPG
Views:	1216
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	28890

Click image for larger version

Name:	TX2.JPG
Views:	1004
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	28891

As you can see, it's quite high, so the wire antenna is just installed by running it through curtain wire hooks and cable tying it in place.
The wire is 3 meters long.
Anyway, enough of the waffling, I guess what I'm trying to say is, I bought one, and I think it's a nice add on to the vintage radio collection
Old 30th Sep 2009, 10:41 am   #2
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Spitfire AM Transmitter

Sounds good. What input voltage does it use? I have an AMT3000 and the only failing with it is the ridiculous 20 volt supply it requires.
Old 1st Oct 2009, 9:19 pm   #3
Dr-Watts
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilley View Post
Sounds good. What input voltage does it use?
12V DC from a small plug top power supply, how convenient
(And that was supplied with the correct pluc attached to the O/P and the voltage set)

I'm playing a Rock n' Roll mix I did for a friend a couple of years ago and listening to it on my big old 'Baffle Board' Murphy right now
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 6:05 pm   #4
cockshad
Tetrode

ive just got one of these and im well impressed...certainly does the job..
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 8:17 pm   #5
Paul LS
Retired Dormant Member

A question for anyone who has any experience on tuning the antenna using the ATU.. the little (well tiny actually) variable capacitor used for peaking it up. Should it turn continuously or should it be a single turn... mine can be turned continously (doesn't seem to make much difference)? I cant believe it is a single turn as it is so small it would be impossible to set it accurately.

Range is good with the unit, but I am a little disappointed with the quality. There appears to be some distortion. I have tried adjusting the input level but it seems not to make much difference. Perhaps I am just being too "picky".

Thanks,
Paul.
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 8:42 pm   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I have to say again, that although they conform to FCC Regulations in America, these are not licensable in the UK or anywhere else in Europe. [The supplier doesn't claim that they are] as they operate on the Medium Waveband on which there is no spectrum allocation withing Europe. Hence, their use is unlawful.

I did enquire with Ofcom whether these micro-transmitters were indeed compliant, and made the point that they do fulfil a need, and that maybe Ofcom could champion a change in the regulations (as it has with other low power devices on other frequencies, such as -i-trips etc, which are license exempt, but must conform to EU regulations and spectrum allocation).

Here's a clip of Ofcom's reply:

Quote:

It appears that the product is the type of product (radio equipment) that is covered by the Radio Equipment and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment (R&TTE) Regulations.

Such a product may only be lawfully placed on the market or put into service if it meets the requirements of the regulations, has a Declaration of Conformity and is legitimately ‘CE’ marked (see the following link for further details).

The FCC approval scheme is not applicable in Europe.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/licensing/ap...s08/br_faq/q20

Normally a license is required to use radio apparatus in the UK, however specific categories of radio apparatus can be manufactured to meet defined standards for license exempt use in the (see the following links for further details).

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/i...30final.pdf%20

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/cond.../statement.pdf

We encounter many non-compliant devices on the market in the UK, we have to prioritise our work so as to maximize the effectiveness of our team and offer the best level of protection of the radio spectrum. We find that there are some suppliers who are genuinely ignorant of the law and cooperate with us, we also encounter those who blatantly ignore the law and require firmer action.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, clearly there is an issue that requires further investigation by Ofcom.

End clip.

I think it's implicit in their reply that this is not at the top of their list of priorities. Like, regardles of any illegality, where are the problems which these devices are causing. I don't think that many users of Spitfires or similar devices are having sleepless nights over this.

Enjoy!

Maybe Spifires should be "heard and not seen"

Regards,

David,
G4EBT
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 11:21 pm   #7
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

I agree with Dave.

I looked at buying one of these and to confirm that they did meet UK approval I asked the seller repeatedly by email to confirm that they were legal to use. I never got a reply.

It is illegal to use these devices .

Mike
Old 4th Feb 2010, 12:43 am   #8
Michael Maurice

I think this type of transmitter is clearly sending a message:

Do not use me------repeat Do not use me.....

Thus we're switching off the big red sign and taking it off air
Closed Thread