UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2016, 12:26 pm   #1
Radio Tech
Nonode

Default Material for Cards (HSVT)

Hello folks

Thought this might be of use, those of us who have a Mullard HSVT and have to make the cards for it, the material can be found on Amazon, the manufacturer of this is a company called Sign Materials Direct. The material itself is 0.5mm thick and it is Acrylic Perspex PETG and comes in A4 or A3 sizes and its a product made by Bayer.

Best wishes

Ken
Old 5th Mar 2016, 3:57 pm   #2
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Material for Cards (HSVT)

Hi, Ken,

The material should be fine, but at £4.68-ish for two cards, which is what you'll get from an A4 sheet, it seems a bit pricey if you need to make more than a few.

You might be better to go for Tufnol. RS are doing quite a good price for the 0.4mm stuff. Sheets are 590mm x 285mm and you get 5 sheets for £11.14. I reckon you should get 5 cards out of each sheet.

I've miked the cards out at between 0.6mm and 0.85mm. Much thicker than 0.85mm will jam in the slot. I reckon the 0.4mm should do you, but RS also do the 0.8mm stuff ( a bit dearer at £20 for 3 sheets)

Have you sussed out a punch yet?

Cheers,

Frank
Old 6th Mar 2016, 4:29 pm   #3
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hi Frank

No not yet, I am marking and drilling out the long way round, I just need someone to make the jig for me, I can not do it as I don't have the facilities to make it, you could make one for me please.

I will have a look at the tufnol material.

Best wishes

Ken
Old 8th Mar 2016, 1:36 pm   #4
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

Hi, Ken,

My younger brother runs a light engineering business in Dalbeattie, and he's kindly offered to make one for me. However, it's taking him forever, so I don't think that's an option. Mind you, being an precision engineer, I'm pretty sure he's going OTT on the job and turning out a masterpiece of toolmaking.

What I could do is to supply you the drawings/CAD files, so perhaps you could have one made up by a local engineering firm in your area.

BTW, apparently Tufnol is more easily worked if it's heated to 100C. At 4mm, it should cut quite readily with a paper guillotine.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Frank
Closed Thread