UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 7th Mar 2024, 9:38 pm   #21
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Dictating machines

Since I posted earlier I've had them up and running. From the paperwork, the first EN3 dates from 1966. The tape features a well spoken woman and a man talking about company business and arranging board meetings for 1967, so would date the recording to late 66 when the recorder was new. The woman was complaining about her salary and said she would be prepared to be sacked for her impertinence - I only played bits of the recordings. The playback started off quiet, but picked up as the capacitors reformed - they haven't been powered up for a while. The second EN3, the Luxus, which has the addition of a level meter and volume control, has good audio, but has a bit of a drive problem in play.

Other than where the previous owner has recorded himself, the two larger Philips machines have recordings that are in what sounds like Dutch. These machines are the EL3582 and the EL3583/15. They were a little sluggish to start off with, but soon picked up once they'd been on for a while, so it was good to give them all a bit of a run. I have had them all running in the past, but it's been quite a while, so they were overdue a work out to keep the belts and pulleys moving!

Below is a circuit for the EN3 and also a list of available accessories (if it's readable) from the paperwork that's with it:-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160604.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	294373   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160606.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	294374  

Last edited by Techman; 7th Mar 2024 at 9:59 pm. Reason: Put Philips model numbers in proper order of previous pictures.
Techman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2024, 12:50 pm   #22
Gulliver
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post

Most odd is a "Recordon" which is a magnetic analogue disc recorder. it looks rather like a record player but records onto 10" discs of magnetic tape material using a head contained in what looks like a gramophone tonearm. The whole thing is guided by a "scroll" that sits atop the disc in the centre. I have just one disc, a police doctor transcribing letters to his secretary.

Photo in #9

John.
Thanks, I had missed that. It looks identical to my Recordon machine. Not as practical as tape or even wire except that the magnetic disc could be folded and posted in a regular envelope.

It's currently in storage (read my mother's attic) but I am finally hoping to be in a position to buy a much larger house than I currently reside in within the next two years and should be able to have my entire collection within easy reach.
Gulliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2024, 8:02 pm   #23
Brigham
Octode

I had a derelict Recordon as a kid. No pedal or headset, but I rigged up a pre-war head telephone to shout into, then listen back on.
Quality was virtually unusable. I could recognise the emphasis in 'Mary had a little lamb', but that was about it. The turntable drive had developed a 'flat' somewhere, presumably with standing, and made a rythmic pounding sound which virtually blotted-out the playback.
There's a good view of one in an episode of 'Agatha Christie's Poirot', the acclaimed BBC Television series, where it poses as a BBC transcription machine!
Brigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2024, 11:45 am   #24
suebutcher
Heptode

About thirty years ago I had a Dictaphone Ultravox. An amazing machine, I wish I'd never sold it.