UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Feb 2020, 6:40 pm   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Another Bush TV12.

My "Birmingham" Bush TV12 had a no sync fault. Tried another EF50 sync separator valve but no improvement. The 'scope confirmed that the full video vaveform was present at the grid pin of the sync valve but closer observation showed that the sync tips weren't clamped to chassis potential.
As a quick test a silicon diode was connected between the grid of the EF50 and chassis, sure enough the sync tips are now at chassis potential. Turned out the control grid contact on the valveholder is broken. A replacement has been fitted and now the set displays a steady picture, but there are still a number of other faults to sort out.
The first picture shows the high quality ceramic B9G valveholder. Seems a pity to use it for such a mundane task as in the sync separator.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BushTV12B_B9G.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	198325   Click image for larger version

Name:	BushTV12B_2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	198326   Click image for larger version

Name:	BushTV12B_3.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	198327  
Old 3rd Feb 2020, 9:12 pm   #2
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Default Re: Another Bush TV12.

I am wandering if the unusually high quality valve holder and the EF50 were war surplus Components that were to hand rather than producing new valveholders from scratch.

Christopher Capener
Old 4th Feb 2020, 8:07 am   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

Those paxolin valve holders can be troublesome, not had any problems with them on my TV12, but replaced a few on an LV20 due to corrosion.

I do like the spring clips fitted on Pye sets, they really get a firm hold on those EF50's

Pye obviously learned a few things when using EF50's in radar during the war.
I think the pin length was a design flaw on an otherwise excellent valve.

Mark
Old 4th Feb 2020, 10:20 am   #4
Jac
Heptode

Very expert fault finding David!

Jac
Old 5th Feb 2020, 11:22 am   #5
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hello Jac,
the TV12B has two other faults to correct. As the attachment shows the vertical linearity could be better and the vision alignment needs attending to. Sound on vision and over emphasis of the vision HF component.

I'm considering replacing the MW22-14 CRT with the ion trap MW22-16. The original tube has evidence of ion burn and as this set has almost 7KV EHT available I'm certain there will be a worthwhile improvement in picture quality by fitting the later tube.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BushTV12_4.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	198435  
Old 5th Feb 2020, 5:01 pm   #6
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Circuit diagram of the frame timebase. V3 (EF50) functions as a Miller transiton oscillator.

From r-type.org: http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-135.htm

The foldover might be caused by the changes in the values of the components associated with C2. Flyback time too long.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BushTV12B_5.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	198467  
Closed Thread