UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2022, 9:29 pm   #1
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Philips model number?

Which model was the all transistor mono tv available in twenty or twenty four inch size please? Thanks.
Old 27th Jul 2022, 9:44 pm   #2
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Philips

Hi Tony is this any help? https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/early-19...hrome-philips/
Rich.
Old 27th Jul 2022, 10:05 pm   #3
jayceebee
Heptode

Default Re: Philips model number?

320 chassis?

John
Old 27th Jul 2022, 11:49 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

What era are we talking? A few years back I picked up a 22" one from the late 70s, there's a thread here somewhere. Thought it might have been one of the last large screen mono sets.
Old 28th Jul 2022, 9:21 am   #5
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

22"? Assume that's a typo as that was one size I've never seen in a mono TV (I expect to be shot down in flames...)

The 70s Philips was the 320 chassis that had something of the G8 about it - a smallish vertical chassis that swung out. The 17" was in a trendy white cabinet (sought after today) with more traditional 20" and 24" versions using the G8 flappy tuner heads. Solid state with a thyristor PSU and a glow switch as fitted to the 570 and the G11.

Later models were the Pye L7 and so on that appeared in both Pye and Philips guises.
Flat chassis in a traditional cabinet, they just worked till the tube or the customer controls died. Maarten would be able to give you exact model numbers. They were available till the mid-eighties, but didn't sell in large numbers.
Old 28th Jul 2022, 9:36 am   #6
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I am reasonably sure but maybe mistaken that the Philips 320 was also available in 17" models as well as 20" and 24" models. These were great sets and had electronic similarities with the G8 chassis.

They gave very good b/w pictures and we found them to be very reliable.
Old 28th Jul 2022, 10:16 am   #7
toshiba tony
Heptode

Thanks all, yes it was the 320.
Old 28th Jul 2022, 12:27 pm   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

The 17" 320 had the controls under the CRT and used a rotary channel seletor based on the more usual flap type. They ould be stripped down (without removing the TV's back) and the phosphor-bronze contats re-tensioned and the PCB cleaned. It was possible to invert the knob so the markings were upside down - not that it happened to me, you understand...

The stand for this 17" TV was a chrome golf-tee shaped affair and, if present with the TV, makes good money from hipsters today!
Old 28th Jul 2022, 1:06 pm   #9
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

If you have never seen the original 17" version of the 320, here goes! The 17" tube was incredibly good and never failed! Unusually the Mullard A50-120WR/A61-120WR were very poor, lasting only 3 years before they went gassy giving a soft out of focus picture.
Opening one of these tubes shows the smallest CRT getter I have ever see, not much bigger than a B9A valve type.
I have the 20" version that Bertha tickled up a long while back. As Simon says it was often confused with the G8 colour receiver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	320.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	261700  
Old 28th Jul 2022, 1:25 pm   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The 20" version of the 320. It lacks the sparkle of the 17" version.
The encapsulated mains bridge rectifier [BY179?] used to go violently S/C often blowing one of the P/C tracks. This was later replaced by 4X single diodes. The mains was fed directly to the bridge, the 10 ohm surge limiter being on the secondary. This may have been the reason for the demise of the original bridge. A very reliable chassis spoilt by the typically cheap UK thyristor power supply. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	320 20.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	261701  
Old 28th Jul 2022, 2:12 pm   #11
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Yes, the 17" CRT was always bright and sharp. The 24" cabinet gave the impression of being slimmer than it was - more back than cabinet. As John says, the green BY179 rectifier could fail spectacularly.
ISTR the line oscillator IC had to be replaced with exactly the correct part or there were problems.
Old 28th Jul 2022, 2:44 pm   #12
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes Glyn! I pulled the 20" one above off the tip many years ago. I remember on powering up the 3rd harmonic tuning cap, the green Philips type was O/C. A massive flash of EHT destroyed the line osc chip. Luckily I had both parts from the shop days and it was soon up and working again. You don't see much written about the 320. T.T. has certainly brought back some memories. John.
Old 29th Jul 2022, 10:52 am   #13
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

LLJ in Television magazine did a write up on these, calling the 17" one 'pretty' saying that 'pretty things can often be naughty!'
Old 29th Jul 2022, 11:00 am   #14
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I aint bin pretty for 40 odd years so no chance of being naughty. J.
Closed Thread