UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2022, 8:54 pm   #1
Tom williams
Pentode

Default Sanyo Hi 8 camera not working

Hi All,

I have a sanyo Hi 8 video camera that Im currently trying to get running, I have had it running in the past ( latest was about 2 years ago.), but it now refuses to run on both the battery and the mains adaptor. There is currently a tape stuck in the camera which I would like to retrieve. For the model number see the pictures below. Could someone please suggest a solution to the problem? I have checked the mains adaptor and it is running fine and will charge the battery.

Tom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220724_182105.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	261467   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220724_182058.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	261468  
Old 24th Jul 2022, 10:12 pm   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Sanyo Hi 8 camera not working

My guess is surface mount electrolytics have probably failed and leaked goo on the board, I have a small Sony LCD tv that had a load of them in, and all of them needed replacement.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 24th Jul 2022, 10:35 pm   #3
greg_simons
Octode

From personal experience i would concour that the surface mount caps are leaky, there are literally dozens of them, unfortunately the pcb is also likely to be damaged because the electrolyte rots the tracks and through board eyelets, best advice, recover the tape and look for a better machine.
Greg.
Old 25th Jul 2022, 5:30 am   #4
TIMTAPE
Octode

Yes the early model 8mm camcorders have fared a lot better in this respect. They used traditional through hole electrolytics.

Without looking carefully at the PCB's though it's hard to know if or by how much the PCB tracks have been corroded by leaking electrolyte.
Old 25th Jul 2022, 8:49 am   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_simons View Post

best advice, recover the tape.
How is one of the questions ?

David
Old 25th Jul 2022, 10:29 am   #6
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

If you can pop it open, get to the mech, find the loading motor, disconnect it, then give it some power from a bench power supply starting at a low voltage to see if it’s rotating the right way. I have done this in the past, the only snag being that if the tape is fully loaded then there will be a loop of tape left out as the take up reel won’t be doing anything, unless you can see the back of it and rotate it by hand.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 27th Jul 2022, 8:32 pm   #7
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

I am guessing leaky surface-mounted caps in the DC-DC converter (power supply) circuit. The way to retrieve the tape with no or minimal damage caused to the tape or the camera is by injecting a small voltage onto the loading motor's leads, providing the unit can be taken down to bits with the mechanism in the loaded/latched state.

Fivos
Old 27th Jul 2022, 9:30 pm   #8
kevinaston1
Hexode

I have the service manual if you need it PM me (17MB)

Kevin
Closed Thread