UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2022, 3:14 pm   #1
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default 'Tarvin Sands' exchange

Does anyone know the dialling code used to reach 'Tarvin Sands' ? It was a UAX13 that opened circa November 1969 and was located in the same building as 'Tarvin' exchange another UAX13 which by then had almost 700 lines on it. 'Tarvin' was 0829 4 i.e 934 from its parent exchange 'Chester' (0244) .

I've searched dozens of STD codebooks but without luck. From early 1969, the codebooks list -
Tarvin (3 figs) 082 94
Tarvin (5 figs) 0829

I did find a local (Tarporley 0829 3) book which in the list of STD codes shows -
'Tarvin Sands see local list'

But when I looked in the local list, there was only Tarvin listed as 993. That was the code when the TXE2 which replaced both Tarvin & Tarvin Sands opened in May 1971. Looking at the print date of the Tarporley code book and it was August 1971. Looks as though someone forget to remove 'Tarvin Sands' from the list.

There was a 'relief' mobile exchange locally for the Kelsall UAX13 (0829 5 - 935 from Chester) known as 'Boothdale'. It never had an STD code as its local code was 930 from Chester . The STD code 0829 was translated to level 93 from Chester but a '0' was never allowed to be the digit after the 'C' digit of an STD code - hence Boothdale only every had the 'local code 930 from Chester which could be accessed by the 0244 local and adjacent charge groups but not those coming in via STD translation.

If you've got any codebooks from between mid 1969 and early 1971, I'd be grateful if you can check them out for 'Tarvin Sands' - you may have the only copy!
Old 21st Jul 2022, 9:42 pm   #2
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Re: 'Tarvin Sands' exchange

If you draw a blank, I know someone who lives in Tarvin. He hasn't been there that long, but perhaps he can ask around!
Old 23rd Jul 2022, 1:31 pm   #3
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: 'Tarvin Sands' exchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post
If you draw a blank, I know someone who lives in Tarvin. He hasn't been there that long, but perhaps he can ask around!
Tnx. I'm not too far from Tarvin. I've researched the history of the exchange and have details of several operators from its days as a manual exchange in the then village Post Office. Hoping to get the info onto the village website. Tarvin went 'auto' in 1948. I've even tracked down where one of the operators who was still living aged 103, three years ago. I doubt she'll know the code

I remember the days of the next door exchange Tarporley being a manual exchange on the first floor over the what was then the Crown Post Office I was in the old manual exchange during the change-over in 1960 and remember some lines still calling on the old exchange a good hour after the change-over !.

Last edited by Pellseinydd; 23rd Jul 2022 at 1:58 pm.
Closed Thread