UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Sep 2015, 11:54 pm   #1
PaulM
Hexode

Default Harby Village Show - camera and OB truck demo

This Saturday (5th September) the Harby Village Show ( http://www.harbyvillageshow.co.uk/ ) in Nottinghamshire (near Lincoln)will feature our operational Yorks /Tyne Tees vintage OB truck. The following operational cameras will be on show run from the vehicle:

2 x Marconi MkIV Image Orthicon
1 x Marconi MV Image Orthicon
1 x Marconi MkVIII colour camera
1 x Marconi MkX colour camera
1 X Ikegami 355 widescreen CCD

Also on show will be:

1 x Marconi MkII 3" Image Orthicon as used at the Queen's Coronation in 1953

1 x Panavision GII 35 mm film camera

We would be pleased to see any forum members and show you around!

Best regards,

Paul Marshall

Last edited by PaulM; 4th Sep 2015 at 12:08 am.
Old 5th Sep 2015, 7:03 pm   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Harby Village Show - camera and OB truck demo

Harby (Nottinghamshire) is only about 30 miles from my home so I was able to visit the show. Paul first showed me round the Yorkshire/Tyne Tees truck. All the equipment was operating with displays from the outside cameras on the monitors at the mixing desks and all the support equipment was working well.

I was also given the opportunity to see round a Southern Television OB truck that was located nearby. All the equipment in the Southern truck dated from 1968 and would have been as it was when in service. This was in contrast to that in the Yorkshire/Tyne Tees truck which displayed equipment from different periods.

I was also shown a BBC OB truck that was in the early stages of being restored.

It was very nice to meet Paul and very kind of him to show me round. Apart from anything else the scale of what Paul has achieved in saving all this equipment and putting it all together in a working setting is very impressive indeed.

Paul, as you would expect, is very knowledgeable and was happy to answer my questions. My background is in domestic television receiver servicing and so I have a high level of ignorance about the broadcasting end of things.

Thank you Paul, the experience was most enjoyable.
Old 7th Sep 2015, 6:22 pm   #3
David Simpson
Nonode

You know, its strange to think that Harby has achieved such publicity over recent years.
My association goes back well over 40 years. Many a time, my wife & I used to visit & stay with Dave & Janet Medley. Many fond memories of shooting heaps of pheasants in those big sugar beet fields on the Wigsley road.
Dave is sadly missed by us, and by many others I suspect. We're glad that Janet is keeping good health & enjoying life. Also glad that Chris is keeping up the shooting interests. Wonder if "the Major" is still on the go.
I hope the Village Show goes well.

Regards, David
Old 19th Sep 2015, 10:31 pm   #4
PaulM
Hexode

Sorry for my slow reply to comments on this, but work has been a priority for the last couple of weeks and I'm only just catching my breath after that and the Harby show itself.

Many thanks to David and ukcol for their comments. Yes, we know the Medleys and thanks for the kind comments on 'the tour' of the rest of the 'living museum' at my place nearby.

Please find attached a photograph taken by long time collaborator Dave Hill. This was at about 5 pm after almost everyone had left and we were about to 'pull the big switch' and start packing everything away. We didn't have time to take any photos during the day but I'm sure that some will surface!

We had a great show with all the cameras behaving well and a lot of interest in the 'Hollywood' Panavision film camera in particular. It was lovely to see so much interest from younger people and be able to explain how things used to work! The working Marconi MkVIII had only been cobbled together a few days before after inactivity for over a decade. The two MkIVs, the MkV and the MkX are more frequent 'performers' and the Ikegami 355 is, well, modern by our standards being made in 2001. Everything in the truck also worked well with no faults. The only real problem was the generator powering us which had to be tweaked as it was running at 54 Hz which caused some consternation initially. After that was done, all was sweetness and light.

All being well 'Yorks Tyne Tees' will have a new paint job some time in 2016 as after 10 years the paint is starting to fade. Despite that, she did actually scrub up quite well for the day!

Paul M
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Harby_15.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	113250  
Closed Thread