UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jul 2021, 6:22 pm   #1
Max Ripple
Pentode

Default B&O Beocord 5000 type 4705/4715/4716

Does anyone here have good experience of these machines please?
We used to avoid them like the plague during the '70's as they were so unreliable!
It's quite possible though,that another enthusiast has succeeded where we failed, considering the better materials and expertise that prevails today?
This particular example needs overhaul of course,having myriad mechanical and electronic problems,just as they used to do?
Thanks,
Nick
Old 9th Sep 2021, 8:33 pm   #2
Krolroger
Pentode

Default Re: B&O Beocord 5000 type 4705/4715/4716

Hi,

I'm having a go at fixing up one of these lovely (at least from an aesthetic pov) Type 4715 machines.

I've read the comments from those far more expert than I am but am optimistic that I can get some functionality out of it. (I've managed previously to breathe life into a couple of dead Beocenter 4000s which essentially use the same - simplified - tape transport).

I'm currently replacing the Roederstein red caps which are all out of spec, in one case by a factor of 10. A selection of tants I tested were fine. I will change the Wicon filter caps and motor cap though in general these seem to age well.

Getting the belts is problematic as the best supplier is in Denmark and they have no stock. The less critical belts (take up/spool and counter) are more easily obtainable in the UK.

The test procedures seem to rely on tools that are specific to B&O so my best policy is to disturb as little as possible consistent with changing the belts. The sealing paint on the adjustment screws looks like it hasn't been tampered with.

Beolover has posted a very helpful blog on restoring one of these machines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BCord 5000.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	240923  
Closed Thread