UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2021, 8:25 pm   #1
eddiearnoldz
Diode

Default HMV RADIOGRAM 2340 tonerarm wire cut and SONOTONE 9TA replacement

Hi guys

Brand new to these forums,

very excited about recently saving an old HMV 2340 radiogram from the skip and trying to get it working. Radio is working but only when i shove a big old aerial into the little section at the back. This has confirmed speakers work and sure i can fit an aerial easily. Is there a specific aerial i should be trying to procure??

The real problem is the Garrard 3000 turntable. I have done all the normal degreasing and cleaning and during that found that the tonearm cables had been cut clean. I soldered them back together and now only get Sound coming out of the right tweeter. What is the best way of replacing the wires and where would i get them from? Or is my problem the cartdige? the cartridge is a sonotone 9ta which may also need replacing as well. I have been reading and also trying to get a replacement but as one person said they are as rare as hen's teeth.

Could anyone suggest or send me a link to a good and available replacement for the sonotone 9TA. Not bothered if its not original but would just like to get it working. I havent found any suggestion of a good replacement that is avialable.

Looking forward to hearing back from you all.

Really great website!

Best, Eddie
Old 8th Mar 2021, 11:27 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV RADIOGRAM 2340 tonerarm wire cut and SONOTONE 9TA replacement

These (very good) Sonotones sell for up to £50-00, but there are cheaper options and we can advise. Firstly, it's best to check the continuity of the 4 tone arm wires first as there may be nothing wrong with the cartridge at all. There are internal FM and AM aerials already in the cabinet. You can buy an FM flexible Indoor "T" aerial for about £2-00.
Old 8th Mar 2021, 4:10 pm   #3
eddiearnoldz
Diode

Thanks for the reply Edward.

Will try and grab a T aerial online as when I engaged the one my dad leant me into the socket at the back I got full bright reception and clear sound through all speakers.

I think the best solution would be to get a new set of (fully intact) wires to attach to the cartridge and see if that makes a difference before trying to source a new cartridge. What is the best place to buy a new set of full length tonearm wires? Could you send me a link to your preferred supplier?

And if I did try and get a similar cartridge to replace the Sonotone 9TA what is the best and most available?

Thanks for your help

Eddie
Old 10th Mar 2021, 5:03 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

You may find it quite hard to source a reasonable length of stereo cartridge wiring. If the wires you have are already the correct length, why not just check their continuity as I advised above. If you do replace you will need to correctly terminate them and then fit the harness in, not that easy. If you do decide to replace them, maybe another member on here may have a set - or you may need to buy another donor deck or a complete dud record player just sold for spares?

Whilst you can substitute another cartridge for the most excellent Sonotone 9TA/HC, it will be unlikely to be as good!
Old 11th Mar 2021, 10:48 am   #5
jonnybear
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiearnoldz View Post
I soldered them back together and now only get Sound coming out of the right tweeter.
A picture of your connections would make it easier for members to identify any problems.

John

Last edited by Station X; 11th Mar 2021 at 11:39 am. Reason: Quote attributed.
Old 11th Mar 2021, 8:05 pm   #6
eddiearnoldz
Diode

Thanks Jonny Bear. Will get a snap of the offending wires when I get back to my parents' next week.

Thanks.
Old 4th Apr 2021, 6:39 pm   #7
eddiearnoldz
Diode

Default Hmv 2340

Hi there.

Recently been refurbishing an HMV 2340 and after having it fully working on all radio forms and record player it suddenly has stopped. When first picked up I cleaned and decreased record player (garrard 3000) and changed new wire that had been cut and bought a replacement sonotone cartridge.

On the chassis I changed about 14 of the capacitors (mainly old black ones and a few small blue ones of varying values from 2uf to 750uf). It was all working fine and then all of a sudden stopped when I changed from vhf to MW. I’m not sure what the problem could be and the only time it worked again for about 10 seconds was starting on vhf but then changing it to another radio setting cut it out again and now nothing comes from any switch choice and no sound at all. Not even static. And no sound from record player. Seems like a power issue? So strange as it was working perfectly for a few days.

I want to get in and clean all the contact point on the switches but finding it hard to access them! Could transistors be an issue?

Does anyone know what the cause could be? Can send pictures if more info is needed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th Apr 2021, 6:59 pm   #8
Station X

The way to tackle a totally dead radio or record player amplifier is to take voltage readings and compare them with the service sheet.

The fault could well be with the PSU.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 6th Apr 2021, 1:47 pm   #9
PaulR
Dekatron

Do the panel lights come on, and does the turntable turn?