UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2017, 3:33 pm   #1
Kentode
Octode

Default Defeated by my BSR UA14!

Aaarrgghh!!!

This Dansette Bermuda has been gently restored, and when played, worked perfectly, but the platter didn't stop when the arm returned to the stop!

I'm missing something obvious!

Something needs to be degreased /greased.

I've read the stickies, rotated the platter manually, watched cams and gears, I give up!

Where do I hand in my card?

BVWS member
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 4:17 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Defeated by my BSR UA14!

This is an extremely common problem on the UA14 - it's not just you! I suspect that the control lever does not move to the
"off" position either. It may be due to lack of torque. Ensure that there really is a good grip between the inner rim of the turntable and the edge of the idler by abrading the idler edge slightly. French chalk on the TT inner rim also helps.
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 6:41 pm   #3
electrogram
Heptode

This problem is due to a very light spring attached to one of the levers controlled by the vertical position of the over arm becoming weak. Replace the spring or as I do just shorten it a bit.
Old 26th Apr 2017, 9:17 pm   #4
tracypaper
Octode

I strip the mechanics all the way down to the last Alloy plate, then polish it with some Autosol so it comes back to a gleaming shine, there is no grease or oil on these parts so any dust or oxidisation causes resistance and affects the operation. This has worked for me every time I have had the problem.
Gaz.
Old 28th Apr 2017, 8:38 am   #5
Kentode
Octode

Having taken a break and mulling over your helpful reply Edward, I checked the torque at 78rpm and it's more than adequate. As I'm not confident (yet) to do a full stripdown that meant going in and looking for a weak spring.

I found a loose one! See the first photo.

My question now is where does it hook onto? In the second photo I'm pointing at what I believe to be the correct eyelet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	141648   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	141649  

BVWS member
Old 28th Apr 2017, 9:11 am   #6
Kentode
Octode

In answer to my own question, the spring does appear to go in the eyelet shown in the second photo. A slow cycle by hand and watching the underside rewarded me with a small clang! As the automatic stop operated and the switch returned to the off position.

Thanks for all your help, I'm just going to pick my card out of the bin!

BVWS member
Old 28th Apr 2017, 5:21 pm   #7
tracypaper
Octode

Yes Ken the spring does fit to that eyelet. Any more problems and a full strip will have to be done, what is great nowadays is that we can take digital pictures of every step. Good luck.
Gaz.
Old 28th Apr 2017, 10:26 pm   #8
Kentode
Octode

Cheers for the confirmation Gaz, I'm thinking that as well as the photos a good selection of ziplock bags and tags with a good description of whereabouts the items come from /go to are needed, as well as a thorough list of the order in which they are removed /replaced.

As and when I reach that point I'll invite you to Todmorden for a brew and biscuits!

The Dansette is currently playing Humphrey Lyttelton and his band's "The Doormouse".

Many thanks for your reply,

BVWS member
Closed Thread