UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2017, 12:45 pm   #1
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Custom panel meter legends

I have a 100uA meter movement from Rapid that I wish to make my own legend for. The back panel legend of the meter is removable with two screws. Does anyone have any tips on doing this i.e. how to get rid of the existing legend or overlay it so it looks professional? Currently it has dymo stickies over the existing items and it looks rubbish!
Old 29th Mar 2017, 2:01 pm   #2
richard.cs
Triode

Default Re: Custom panel meter legends

I usually remove the original back panel and scan it on a flatbed scanner. Then edit the image (usually with the gimp image editor), print it out on heavy paper with a colour laser printer and glue it to the panel.

It often takes a few attempts to get it to print the perfect size but other than that it works well and looks professional.

Here's one I did earlier:
http://randomfunprojects.co.uk/bigfiles/rf_load005.jpg
Old 29th Mar 2017, 2:26 pm   #3

The classic method was to use a chewed match end and some Vim to remove the old markings, then re label with Letraset. Close up it looks much better than a printed dial.

Old 29th Mar 2017, 5:58 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I never attempt to modify the old dial as it never looks neat, apart from which there are often too many markings to try to obliterate. (See the first pic below). The most important feature to retain is the curved graduated scale. I remove the dial and scan it, then use Photoshop to delete any markings that I don't need and to create new markings. When I'm happy with the result, I print the new dial on 'silk' (semi gloss) photo paper, then turn the original metal dial plate over and glue the new dial to the back of it using 'Pritt' stick.

I've attached a couple of examples. The first pic is of a 20uA meter, which - as will be seen - had many redundant markings. The second pic is after I've scanned the dial, removed all the unwanted markings, and added new markings to suit my needs.

The next three pics are of a dial that I did for a forum chum to his requirements. The third is a scan of the original dial, the fourth was with that scan edited but the 'aged' look retained, with most of the original lettering apart from re-scaling it to 300V FSD. He was undecided as to whether he wanted to retain the original appearance, or to have a 'clean' new dial, so I created the one in the fifth pic as an alternative. ('new wine in old bottles'!)

Deleting and adding text isn't too difficult - creating the arced scale is (for me at any rate) - hence, I retain the old one which suits the particular meter movement. There are several CAD meter dial packages which enable a scale to be created from scratch ('Galva' for example), but for the few occasions I've need to create a dial, it hasn't been worth learning to use yet another CAD package, which doesn't come easy to me.

Hope that helps a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weston 20 uA meter dial_edited-4.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	140044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weston 20 uA meter dial_edited-3.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	140045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Meter Dial Doc Wobb.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	140046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Meter Dial Doc Wobb ver1_edited-5.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	140047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Meter Dial for Andy Plain White_edited-2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	140048  

Old 29th Mar 2017, 6:18 pm   #5
MrBungle
Dekatron

Excellent - thanks for the tips everyone. Sounds like a consensus on the best way to do it.

I'm going to attempt this at the weekend as I have a convenient all in one scanner and printer. Many thanks again
Old 12th Apr 2017, 3:51 pm   #6
MrBungle
Dekatron

Well only two weeks after I planned to do this, it's done. Big thanks to David and Richard.

Name:	voltmeter-new.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	140840

And it replaced this somewhat horrible job I did before with the dymo printer:

Name:	voltmeter-old.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	140841

I have actually redesigned and rebuilt the entire unit in the time between attempt number one and this one.

Now to build a power supply ...
Old 14th Apr 2017, 2:39 am   #7
FrankB
Heptode

Hmmm, interesting subject.
I used to photo copy the original dial for the curve and then re-mark the paper. Then I would remove the old dial scale plate (Love those old Weston 301 series meters), reverse the dial plate, glue the new scale on, and reinstall.

I also would paint the back side with white paint and use Datak (tm)( Pretty much a hen's tooth item here now); transfer scales to make a new face. Then if I ever needed the original meter, the face was still there, intact.
Old 15th Apr 2017, 8:12 pm   #8
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Well only two weeks after I planned to do this, it's done. Big thanks to David and Richard.
I hate to be critical of such a nice job, but to me the "10" looks a bit out of skew.
Colin.
Old 16th Apr 2017, 3:30 am   #9
joebog1
Banned

HHmmm when I do meter layouts I just use a simple CAD like Easytrax ( its DOS basically but will will run under win3.1)
It also works very well with WINE and Linux ( which I use, and started with Unix almost 40 years ago )
Just make an arc on a new layer, and place all the digits at the same distance from pivot ( AKA "centre" ) and using the same angle as the graduations for the major points.
BUT !! add the numbers to the face plate and delete or "invisible" the arc for the setup. This also works with Qcad or Librecad.
I really cant help with windows.

Joe
Old 16th Apr 2017, 9:42 am   #10
MrBungle
Dekatron

Yeah i noticed that as well. Criticism welcome

I've redone it on the PC already just not printed it out. I figured out i would do that when the threshold of eye annoyance has been exceeded. I have some better paper to print onto as well now.
Old 16th Apr 2017, 2:11 pm   #11
julie_m
Dekatron

If I needed to make a meter scale, I'd write a program in PostScript and send it straight to my laser printer. But that's because I know enough PostScript to generate a meter scale ..... It probably isn't worth learning just for that.