UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Apr 2017, 10:29 am   #1
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Thumping big diode paperweight.

Does anyone know what this Germanium diode's ratings are?

It's a paperweight on my bench at the moment, if anyone would like to have it, it's yours for the postage.

The makers symbol looks like a trident, then Z42/5961, 98-037-5135

The first number is an AEI reference I think, Towers doesn't list anything this big!

I have found one on ebay for £7 with the first set of numbers but it is smaller.
Old 27th Apr 2017, 10:42 am   #2
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Thumping big diode paperweight.

Could do with a photo?
Paul.
Old 27th Apr 2017, 11:02 am   #3
Boater Sam
Banned

OK, pix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00874.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	141601   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00875.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	141602   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00876.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	141603  
Old 27th Apr 2017, 12:07 pm   #4
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Hi,
Yes its a bigun. My Zenon lamphouse rectifier had similar diodes to these when I ran a cinema. the supply was rated at 150 Amp *Continuous load. I only ran it at 70 amp so everything was under run and hardly got warm. The lamphouse could take up to a 3Kwatt Zenon short arc lamp. I only fitted a 1.6K Watt so the whole set up was well under run.
Your diode may be from a welding unit or cinema lamophouse PSU? It will certainly have a very high rating.
Others on here may have more information?
Splendid paperweight.
Paul.
Old 27th Apr 2017, 12:18 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The "trident" type logo was used by Westinghouse semiconductors, who did indeed produce some seriously big diodes/SCRs at a factory in Chippenham, Wiltshire.

The UK arm of Westinghouse (who also did a lot of work on railway braking/signalling gear) was called Westcode, and is now IXYS Semiconductor: http://www.ixysuk.com/aboutus.html

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 27th Apr 2017 at 12:27 pm.
Old 27th Apr 2017, 2:01 pm   #6
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee99 View Post
My Zenon lamphouse rectifier had similar diodes to these when I ran a cinema.
Putting on my pedantry hat, I believe it is spelled "Xenon", unless of course you are referring to a manufacturer's name and not the Noble gas.
Quote:
Your diode may be from a welding unit or cinema lamophouse PSU? It will certainly have a very high rating.
Since you spelled "lamphouse" correct twice before, I assume that this one is a typo.
Colin.
Old 27th Apr 2017, 2:20 pm   #7
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Zenon is the manufacturers designation for the lamphouse, The noble gas is indeed Xenon but the lamp manufacturers used to put their own mix of gas into the bulb to get the colour temperature correct and such like. I sometimes get my worms awound the wong way. Its my age and decrepit condition.
Paul
Old 27th Apr 2017, 2:37 pm   #8
kalee20
Dekatron

Actually, Xenon arcs for cinemas started to take over in the late 1950's, by which time silicon had pretty much replaced germanium for power rectifiers - at least, that's my understanding!

Sam, how do you know it's germanium? Have you measured forward voltage drop or reverse leakage? Both of these would be a giveaway.
Old 27th Apr 2017, 5:07 pm   #9
Boater Sam
Banned

The reference on ebay about the smaller one states AEI and geranium so as this is the same reference # in part It's is very old, it has the forces arrow, it's a safe bet it's a hot house plant.
I might measure it but it's a lump and may be a stack inside. Definitely not a point contact diode, would it make a crystal set for post atomic apocalypse use?
Old 27th Apr 2017, 5:21 pm   #10

That is one serious diode, I think large germanium ones are still made for special applications.

Old 27th Apr 2017, 9:09 pm   #11
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, also very similar to the freewheel and plugging diodes use on traction drives for forklift trucks and similar. These drives, for a 3 tonne truck often had current limits up to 1000Amps.

Ed
Old 27th Apr 2017, 9:18 pm   #12
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Good heavens! All the more reason to keep out of the way of forklift trucks.
Colin.
Old 27th Apr 2017, 11:37 pm   #13
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

I remember seeing similar sized diodes in DC motor control units used in locos. These were used underground in tin mines for pulling large wagons containing tin ore. The control units also employed similarly sized thyristors as well. The diodes and thyristors had a large braided cable attached similar to the old style car battery leads. I believe International Rectifier (IR) made those devices.

Regards
Symon.
Old 28th Apr 2017, 6:28 pm   #14
Bill
Pentode

Ferranti Semiconductors at Chadderton used to make similar sized silicon diodes. I can't remember the numbers. There were forward and reverse versions , painted red or black, for mounting on heat sinks for maximum effect.The base part of the diode was gold plated There was a flying braided lead crimped into the top. The hydraulic crimping tool for this was a big contraption like a lifting jack.Customers could specify their rectifier requirements and have them built in "Power Diodes" section, e.g. 3phase or single phase, bridge , full wave , half wave. More current needed more diodes. The heat sinks were hand assembled from kits with aluminium plates,threaded rods and ceramic insulators
Bill
Old 28th Apr 2017, 7:32 pm   #15
Boater Sam
Banned

That is very interesting Bill. I was at Gem mill in the late 60s but don't remember any big diodes. Probably I was too busy with CRTs.
Its possible that it could be from there, the bottom flange is red around the edge and the initial Z in the part number is very suggestive of a Sebastian De Z product.
Old 28th Apr 2017, 8:07 pm   #16
stevehertz
Dekatron

At Thorn Automation where I worked in the 70s to 90s, the thyristors and diodes were like that, bigger in some cases. Huge things. Used in DC drives with enough current to reduce steel strip between huge rollers in steel mills. Those were the days..
Old 28th Apr 2017, 9:09 pm   #17
Bill
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
That is very interesting Bill. I was at Gem mill in the late 60s, but don't remember any big diodes. Probably I was too busy with CRTs.
Yes, Electronic displays on the first floor? Some good stuff went on there- I remember a sort of dot matrix display that used neon sandwiched between glass plates, excited by an X and Y grid of wires, and some fancy CRTs as well.
Power diodes were ZRxx, most common were the ZR30 to ZR34, 30 amp range.
Signal diodes were ZSxx, metal can transistors ZT, plastic e-line ZTX (still made?).
Also late 1969, some very early LEDs, red at first, but then green were available, tiny devices with gold leads that cost a fortune. Getting carried away here, I'll shut up...
Old 28th Apr 2017, 9:12 pm   #18
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, Mine locos were the big brothers of fork lift trucks.
Main suppliers in my day were AEI, Westinghouse, GE (US) and IR. For higher voltage stuff >1kv we used Brown Boveri and ASEA.

Ed
Old 28th Apr 2017, 10:18 pm   #19
factory
Octode

The whole number (Z42/5961-98-037-5135) is a NATO code.

The Z42 is the Domestic Management Code (DMC) for miscellaneous electrical or electronic components.

The code 5961-98-037-5135 is Nato Stock Number (NSN), which doesn't exist if you search on-line surprise surprise!
5961 is the code for Semiconductor Devices and Associated Hardware.
98 is code for the first country to codify the item, New Zealand in this case.
0375135 is the code for item number.

The logo does indeed look like that for Westinghouse/Westcode.

I have also seen similar diodes at work, but don't know what trains they where used on though as they were no longer used when I started working there.

David
Old 28th Apr 2017, 10:56 pm   #20
Boater Sam
Banned

By heck Bill, that takes me back. I was there when the Gallium Arsenide lab burnt out, slowed the little green LEDs developement a bit.
Huge CRTs too. ZTX transistors, damn fine devices, still around but where are they made now?
Closed Thread