UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Apr 2017, 7:34 pm   #61
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Racal RA17C tips

Several RA-17s have passed through my hands in which I replaced the BFO assembly with a product detector. The improvement was worth the effort.

Al.
Old 30th Apr 2017, 7:40 pm   #62
dtvmcdonald
Pentode

Default Re: Racal RA17C tips

Exactly what was the improvement? I've tried a product detector on
a couple of receivers and noticed no significant improvement. These all
had, however, plenty of BFO injection, and I never ever tried them
with really high S/N ratio SSB signals, best S/N was probably 30 dB at best.
Old 2nd May 2017, 4:00 pm   #63
Keith
Heptode

I regularly use an RA17C-12 and find it's SSB performance to be perfectly adequate without any modification.
Old 3rd May 2017, 12:14 am   #64
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Racal RA17C tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Several RA-17s have passed through my hands in which I replaced the BFO assembly with a product detector. The improvement was worth the effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
Exactly what was the improvement?
Improved resolution of strong SSB signals. The need to reduce the IF gain and increase the AF gain is much less required, if at all. However, there a several suggested ccts. around for a PD for a RA-17: not all will show much of an improvement. Moreover, please note that I am talking about the RA-17 and the RA-17L. I have no experience of the RA17C-12.

Al.
Old 3rd May 2017, 6:17 am   #65
Radio Wrangler

The RA117 may be worth looking at. It has as standard an S meter reading the AGC line which manages to work normally on CW and SSB, so the AGC is definitely active. The 3-way knob switch for the meter is the obvious difference on the front panel in place of the RA17's toggle switch. You also get a full Watt of audio.

In the early 1980s I bought an RA117 from John's Radio in Birkenshaw (Nr Bradford) The receiver was NOS, taken right out of long-term packaging and put into a slim metal cabinet from a batch which John had had made locally. Inside, the castings gleamed! I used it on aM CW and SSB without an SSB adaptor. I wondered about one, but never happened to find one.

David
Old 3rd May 2017, 9:43 am   #66
Keith
Heptode

The RA17C-12 seems to many many similarities with the RA117 - it too has the 3 position meter switch which includes an S-meter position. Possibly it has the same AGC arrangements. I've certainly never had to reduce the RF gain to resolve SSB signals.

Last edited by Keith; 3rd May 2017 at 9:43 am. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd May 2017, 11:36 am   #67
Radio Wrangler

Ah, that may explain things. Thanks, Keith

David