UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jun 2018, 1:34 pm   #141
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Speaker Cable of Yesteryear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The difficulty with bell wire was in stripping the insulation without nicking the solid conductor.
Teeth worked quite well when I was young, not anymore though.
Old 21st Jun 2018, 1:36 pm   #142
johntech
Triode

A term regularly used on "Fancy"speaker cable is "Oxygen Free" so the copper is oxygen free presumably !
How can this effect sound common sense suggests there cannot be much oxygen in copper anyway!
Another rip off for the poor man in the street are HDMI cables. A friend of mine bought a new dvd player and was sold a super HDMI lead for £70 !
Take it back immediately said I. Here's one for a fiver not the cheapest but still decent quality. It's digital, so it will work or it won't no half measures.
Old 21st Jun 2018, 10:16 pm   #143
Herald1360
Dekatron

Maybe someone heard of copper oxide rectifiers and reckoned that rectifying any of the loudspeaker signal was a bad thing......
.........O..Chris....O
Old 21st Jun 2018, 10:39 pm   #144
emeritus
Dekatron

The book "The practical handyman" (Odhams, probably published in 1938) has a section on installing points for extension speakers around the house. It recommended small nonreversible 2 pin plugs and sockets, and the recommended wire (routed under the floorboards) was lead sheathed twin rubber insulated 18 gauge wire. The possibility of using smaller lead-covered bell wire was mentioned but not recommended as, while cheaper than the 18 gauge stuff, the insulation was of poorer quality than the lighting cable.
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 4:03 am   #145
Radio Wrangler

The lead sheathing would have been protection for the otherwise esculent insulation of the day.

David
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 7:55 am   #146
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Also, in 1938 distribution was often at high voltage, each extension speaker having its own output transformer, so decent insulation was a necessity.
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 9:37 am   #147
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Oxygen in copper affects conductivity, but only slightly. It can have no significant effect on a speaker cable, but it is a good example of how a real, but negligibly small, effect is turned by marketing into a significant effect in order to extract money from audiophiles. Two claims are made:
1. the effect is real - true, so difficult to challenge
2. the effect can be heard - almost certainly untrue, but difficult to challenge without lots of careful listening tests and there are lots of get-out clauses if any test shows indistinguishability

Grossly exaggerating a real effect is relatively immune from attacks by physicists and engineers, because they have to admit that the effect is real and all true audiophiles know that they can hear effects which psychoacoustic research say are many orders of magnitude below threshold so should be inaudible.
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 12:38 pm   #148
AC/HL
Dekatron

(OT illustration warning) You can boil water in a paper bag, but a paper kettle would be a bit of a stretch. Everyday life proves that if you want to believe something, you will, despite sage advice to the contrary, even possibly because of such advice.
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 1:47 pm   #149
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Yes, saying that at audio frequencies about the only thing which matters about a speaker cable is its resistance (and that does not matter too much, provided it is small enough) is dismissed as 'conventional engineering' by some people. They fail to notice that it is 'conventional engineering' which enables them to make such comments online, talk to their friends, watch films in the middle of a field (if they so wish), fly off on holiday etc.
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 3:02 pm   #150
Radio Wrangler

Hmm If we had to develop aeroplanes using only audiophile principles....

It could make an hilarious comedy. I want the film rights!

David
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 3:19 pm   #151
turretslug
Dekatron

Steady on- they're costly enough as it is....
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 4:12 pm   #152
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I will say that before I got a bit more fussy, and whilst I always did eschew ungainly bell wire, I do admit to going to Woolies and buying cheapo two core, clear transperent, lamp flex. Well, it did the job at the time....
Old 23rd Jun 2018, 8:31 am   #153
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The lead sheathing would have been protection for the otherwise esculent insulation of the day.

David

Another recondite word to add to my lexicon for my crepuscular years.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread