UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2014, 5:22 pm   #1
dominicbeesley
Octode

Default Radio 4 Engineering Works

I don't seem to be able to get the cricket but only have one LW set available to check at present. It picks up a nearby wobbulator on 198kHz...

D
Old 27th Mar 2014, 5:25 pm   #2
dominicbeesley
Octode

Default Re: Radio 4 gone?

It's back now...no cricket though!
Old 27th Mar 2014, 6:49 pm   #3
Station X

Engineering works at Droitwich were announced on air earlier today. I don't remember the details though.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Mar 2014, 6:54 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

Digital Spy is the place to look for Broadcast issues: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showt...ight=long+wave
Old 27th Mar 2014, 7:03 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

7 hours a day shutdowns for 3 months. Sounds more like tower work than TX work. Replacing guys?

David
Old 27th Mar 2014, 7:03 pm   #6
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

I wouldnt trust DS as far as I can throw it!

Yes there is maintenance due at Droitwich, and an alternative temporary site is being made available to take the coverage.

There has also been adverse weather over the site today, in the form of electrical storms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
7 hours a day shutdowns for 3 months. Sounds more like tower work than TX work. Replacing guys?
Indeed, mast refurbishment.

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Old 27th Mar 2014, 7:09 pm   #7
threeseven
Octode

Next time I drive past I'll stop and see what I can see!
Old 27th Mar 2014, 7:19 pm   #8
turretslug
Dekatron

Inference can easily turn into a house of cards but if that amount of man-hours is being invested in the mast, does it mean that 198kHz is seen as being around for a good while yet?
Old 27th Mar 2014, 8:01 pm   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

South Gate Amateur Radio News mentioned transmitter work to be done the other day.
Old 28th Mar 2014, 12:23 pm   #10
dominicbeesley
Octode

Thanks all, I'll bear in mind that its going to be on and off for a while...instead of attacking the noise waveband switch like I was yesterday until I realised that I could hear a faint French station which must have been the 2MW Alger Chaine 1...not bad to say that interference is so bad normally that R4 is a struggle. I suspect my neighbours are away and their noisy ADSL is off.
Old 28th Mar 2014, 12:54 pm   #11
telstar
Octode

Hi Dominic. I don't often listen to Radio 4, only when trying l.w out after some restoration project.
As it was mentioned, it is probably maintenance work on the transmitter. Anyway, when I do some more projects, I will know that when I can not receive it.
Cheers
Mike
Old 28th Mar 2014, 7:29 pm   #12
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

The work at Droitwich is for refurbishment of the main masts.

During the work period, LW services will shutdown during the day, whilst MW services will be supported at reduced power from an alternate, temporary transmitter site.

R4 LW service will not, however, be shut down during the Test Match coverage! I'm sure that will be of comfort to some!

Old 28th Mar 2014, 8:54 pm   #13
paulsherwin

So R5 from Droitwich will also be stuffed at the same time? I thought the transmitters had different antenna arrangements.
Old 28th Mar 2014, 9:55 pm   #14
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
So R5 from Droitwich will also be stuffed at the same time? I thought the transmitters had different antenna arrangements.
Safety Issue. All down to the RF field strengths when climbing through the apertures.

At these wavelengths, even touching a van parked on site can be dangerous! Though its not as bad as places like Rampisham used to be, we couldnt even go on site with some antenna configurations there!

R5 will be carried at reduced power from the temporary site

Old 29th Mar 2014, 2:01 am   #15
dominicbeesley
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G7MRV View Post
R4 LW service will not, however, be shut down during the Test Match coverage! I'm sure that will be of comfort to some!
After all my messing around the T20 wasn't on Longwave anyway so I had to get it on my phone which kept cutting out - my WiFi really doesn't have the range of Algera Chaine 1!

Good to know that maintenance is still being carried out on the masts. Long live Longwave!

D
Old 29th Mar 2014, 2:32 am   #16
echelon
Tetrode

This engineering work is presumably why the 198kHz mid-day shipping forecast is being temporarily suspended? It was odd hearing the announcer recommend listeners to retune to...R4 LW online.

Ah, they never mentioned DAB, or satellite, so perhaps it's somehow studio related. But that would hit online too!

Confusion reigns- come back R. Caroline, 'in the very centre of your dial'
Old 29th Mar 2014, 2:55 am   #17
paulsherwin

There is generally very poor public information about transmitter work now. This isn't the fault of Arqiva, who are just responsible for organising the work. Rather, it reflects the fragmented nature of broadcasting (particularly radio). Increasingly the BBC is becoming a commissioning body which buys in content from third parties and sends the output to a chain of contractors for ultimate transmission.
Old 29th Mar 2014, 1:05 pm   #18
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

R4 on 198KHz from Droitwich is now off and the R5L signal from Droitwich on 693KHz is very much on reduced power.
For those of us in the south of England it gives us a chance to check the performance of both old and new radios. On many of my receivers the 198KHz signal from Westerglen/Burghead is either just not there or buried under a spurious signal from a local medium wave station. But on a few sets such as my 1972 ITT/KB Tiny Super portable the 198KHz signal from Scotland is clear enough to listen to with no interference caused by spurious breakthrough from medium wave stations. It's quite an interesting and revealing test for both new and old radios.
Old 29th Mar 2014, 1:20 pm   #19
Station X

Here, with Droitwich off air, the Westerglen/Burghead signal is superior to that on 720 kHz from London. The London signal is stronger, but there's more interference on it.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 29th Mar 2014, 3:24 pm   #20
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I'm very close to Droitwich and listen regularly on LW. My bedside alarm radio - a Grundig which I've had from new but coming up to 30 years old may be approaching vintage - sounds particularly well.

Westerglen/Burghead is weak but clear on my 1966 Philips Popmaster pocket portable and is about the same strength as the French stations on the the LW band. It is listenable in a quiet room.

720kHz is barely discernable on the same set 'barefoot' but with a Tecsun loop alongside and careful rotation to null out electrical intereference it is possible to make out the 'Any Questions' conversation but barely listenable.

At this location my 720 signal might be from Lisnagarvey, Northern Ireland.

On a more recent (1990s) Sony pocket portable Westerglen/Burghead is quite listenable and 720 is listenable with the loop but there is interference. This is a more sensitive set than the Philips. France Inter, Europe 1, RTL and RTE 1 are all an easy listen and Monte Carlo quite clear.
Closed Thread