UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2019, 2:57 am   #1
OldRoyH
Diode

Default Rebirthing – 1950-51 Classic TM5 with Collaro 3RC-511 turntable

This irresistible market find from Bundaberg, Queensland, seems to be a Model 21 by Classic Radio Pty Ltd, of Melbourne, dating from 1950-51. I haven’t yet found an original ad picture to compare it with, but the company did introduce a Model 21 in 1949 using this model of radio chassis and some cabinet components have a “21” penciled on them. As an oldie who would have given anything to own a rig like this as a schoolboy, I had to try and get it working and maybe let Bill Haley rock round the clock again.

The turntable is a Collaro model 3RC511 automatic changer fitted with a mono pickup. It was severely gummed up and has a damaged spindle. Following a partial dismantling and thorough clean/relube it seems to be salveable. The motor now runs so quietly I can’t hear it. The three-turret speed change mechanism needs a complete refurbishment, and with some valuable guidance (via UK Vintage Radio website) from Julian Foster who went through it all in NZ, I am about to take the plunge and order re-rubbered turrets and idler. If I can track down a suitable spindle, the changer may yet be made to work. Not so sure about the cartridge. If all else fails, I guess smoke and mirrors in the form of Bluetooth might have to be called upon.

The radio is a basic five-valve broadcast/shortwave. Chassis number stamped on rear TM54011 identifies the circuit as a TM5. I obtained the schematic from the AORSM archive (1950, page 102). Valves: 6AN7, 6SK7GT, 6SQ7GT, 6V6GT, 5Y3GT. The 6AN7 is the new feature in this circuit, modified from Classic’s original 1946 version. Other tubes are all octals based on pre-war designs. IF is 455KHz.

Electronic components of the radio looked in good shape although with wax evidence of power tranny overheating and some obvious deterioration of electrolytics. Broadcast reception was possible, but volume was very low. The detector tube was touch sensitive (glass loose) and required replacement. Electrolytic and paper capacitors have been replaced with modern equivalents. Mica caps left in place so far. The volume pot needed open-heart cleaning and the wave-change switch also needed a thorough clean. The dial pointer string was fortunately intact and sound, so I didn’t have to figure out how to route it. On powering up again, radio performance was hugely improved. An external aerial is necessary (at my location I can’t get AM at all inside the house) and an old quarter-wave 27meg marine antenna serves well. A mike attached to the pickup input shows the output amp is fine (RF side is noisy).

The cabinet has been stripped back to bare wood (camphor laurel veneer) and finished with three coats of satin polyurethane. The 12in Rola speaker needed some patching where silverfish had dined. Speaker baffle fabric replaced. Brassware including the speaker baffle strips polished. Panel labels have been printed on transparency to replace the very discoloured originals.

One day it will all be finished. “In a while, crocodile.” Meanwhile many thanks to Darren for Value of, disposal of and obtaining of radiograms https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=26411 but some of us just won’t listen to reason.

Classic Radio Pty Ltd, founded 1946, operated factories at 10A Claremont Avenue, Malvern (1946-1952) and 80-90 Waverley Road, East Malvern (1952-1960). It was known for its large radiograms, often with cocktail bars incorporated. The cabinets were made by Creative Cabinets Pty Ltd. Cavalcade Radio Pty Ltd marketed the radios with showrooms at 271 Pitt Street, Sydney, and 230 Collins Street, Melbourne. Both companies were subsidiaries of Classic Radio, grouped as the Classic Group. The company changed its name to Classic Radio & Television Pty Ltd in 1954 and started making TVs in 1955. It was taken over by an Adelaide retailer in 1956 and wound up in 1960. (This company was not affiliated to Classic Radio Pty Ltd of Sydney)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic TM5 as acquired July 2019.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	189949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic TM5 cabinet cleaned up Sept 2019.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	189950  
Old 11th Sep 2019, 9:02 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Rebirthing – 1950-51 Classic TM5 with Collaro 3RC-511 turntable

That's a handsome thing. British radiograms of that era tend to be very conservatively styled to the point of being downright ugly. Australian design was more influenced by American practice and this is a good example.

There is more interest in radiograms here than there used to be, but there remains the problem that they take up an awful lot of space in a typical UK home. I guess Aussie homes are generally bigger (again, following American practice).
Old 16th Sep 2019, 9:06 am   #3
OldRoyH
Diode

thanks Paul, and you're dead right about the space. I'm still negotiating the move from shed to house.
Old 16th Sep 2019, 5:49 pm   #4
PaulR
Dekatron

Wow that is a beauty, well done in saving it and good luck with the negotiations.
Old 17th Sep 2019, 6:11 am   #5
Michael Maurice

For rebuilding the turrets and the idlers (there are two) try Terry's Rubber Rollers

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 16th Nov 2019, 7:07 am   #6
OldRoyH
Diode

Now the "gearbox" is working beautifully with re-tyred turrets and idler from Gary Stark. The spindle is another matter however. I'd love to hear from someone who has one in their box of potentially-useful parts. The auto-changer side of things would then be back in business.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Collaro gearbox retyred Nov 19.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	193755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Collaro spindle missing parts Nov 19.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	193756  
Closed Thread