UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2018, 12:59 pm   #1
poppydog
Banned

Default Anglepoise bulbs

What are members using as replacement bulbs for their anglepoise lamps? Mine went the other night and I pinched a bulb off the landing and it was a led bulb from poundland, however after a couple of minutes the lamp started to get the droop as it seems the led bulb is too heavy

regards poppydog
Old 4th Sep 2018, 1:27 pm   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Anglepoise bulbs

Tighten the pivots on the lamp.
Old 4th Sep 2018, 1:36 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

You may find a GU10 halogen spot with bayonet adaptor light enough or even the LED equivalent. They worked for me in Anglepoise clones at work.

I would have suggested a standard reflector bulb, but it seems they have gone the same way as GLS filament bulbs.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Sep 2018, 1:37 pm   #4
Hartley118
Nonode

Yes, LED lamps are generally heavier than the Anglepoise was designed for, but you may be able to reduce the droop by tightening up the spring tension. Otherwise buy up a few tungsten lamps before they disappear.

Martin
Old 4th Sep 2018, 2:56 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Is it a true Anglepoise? The copies are very variable. Mine is a 25 year old Habitat copy and is happy enough with an 11W CFL (ES base).
Old 4th Sep 2018, 3:36 pm   #6
poppydog
Banned

Thanks for the replies, I will try to put pic on tonight
poppydog
Old 4th Sep 2018, 3:45 pm   #7

The "LED Filament" type of bulbs are much the same weight as old tungsten lamps.

Old 4th Sep 2018, 4:52 pm   #8
mole42uk
Nonode

I have three genuine Anglepoise and I have tightened the spring tension on all of them. Take a coil or two off the main spring and reform the end. All is well for the halogen bulbs I use.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 4th Sep 2018, 5:45 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I'm using Philips LED lamps in all mine. Much lighter than Osram ones, look the part, and run cool too.
Old 4th Sep 2018, 7:05 pm   #10
McMurdo
Dekatron

I ordered a GU10 adapter for my chinese anglepoise but it makes the front of the lamp stick out, so not very nice. However, my Terry Anglepoise has a 'pro-elec' 11W gls led lamp (CPC) and it is very,very light and balances just fine.

I know what you mean about some of the better quality led lamps though, especially the ones like Samsung that have a huge aluminium ribbed heatsink at the bottom and/or a glass diffuser. They're so heavy.
Old 4th Sep 2018, 9:45 pm   #11
poppydog
Banned

My missus came up trumps in her dinner hour today, rather than shopping for shoes and handbags , she found an electrical shop with a knowledgeable chap (how unusual..) who understood the problem and sold her the correct bulb for the job. It’s a clear halogen GLS bc bulb, its more or less the same weight as the old one, however it’s a little yellow and not very bright but will do the job for now. He reckons the cheaper makes of the led bulbs are a lot heavier than the dearer ones and the missus is picking up a good quality one from him in a couple of days’ time so we will see.

I would like to know how old this lamp is, if anybody could tell me? It was destined for the skip but was given to me instead.

Regards
Poppydog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180902_191641 - Copy a.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	168750   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180902_191741.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	168751   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180902_191825.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	168752  
Old 4th Sep 2018, 9:59 pm   #12
McMurdo
Dekatron

looking through the adverts on Graces Guide, yours appears in an advert from 1947
Old 4th Sep 2018, 10:21 pm   #13
emeritus
Dekatron

It looks similar (in configuration and colour) to the one I got new for my birthday in 1968 that I am still using. . I think it cost around 7 guineas then. I believe the same design was manufactured for a long period of time. I laid in a stock of traditional GLS bulbs when the distributors were clearing their inventories for about 10p/bulb so have more than a lifetime's supply. The flex is different from mine, which has its original flat flex, single insulated, with the earth lead terminated at the bottom pivot and only two conductors going up the the lampholder, which was originally Bakelite. I subsequently replaced the lampholder when it failed, probably damaged by my using too high a wattage lamp as a student.

Last edited by emeritus; 4th Sep 2018 at 10:29 pm.
Old 4th Sep 2018, 11:42 pm   #14
Herald1360
Dekatron

Whoever was skipping that presumably had no idea of what it was worth!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 5th Sep 2018, 1:01 am   #15
Paul_RK
Dekatron

The only slightly later Anglepoise here has been happily balanced for quite some time with a small globe 5.5W (40W equivalent) Electrek LED bulb from Poundland. Not surprising, as the LED globe weighs 32g, only 2g more than the first conventional 40W bulb I chanced upon just now.

Paul
Old 5th Sep 2018, 5:59 am   #16
suebutcher
Heptode

I was using a LED bulb in my Terry Anglepoise, but it tended to flicker so I've gone back to halogen. No problem with the balance in either case. A nice lamp, and one I bought fairly cheaply because the seller assumed it was a Planet, the less well balanced Australian equivalent that depended very much on pivot friction to prevent droop.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 8:10 am   #17
barrymagrec
Octode

My benchlight (not a genuine Anglepoise) suffers from this problem with the CFC bulb I use to avoid the burning smell. The fix was to clamp a weight on the rear parallel member.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 8:17 am   #18
Herald1360
Dekatron

If the spring action is too strong solder strategically wrapped round the arms near the shade or a couple of bulldog clips ditto can help........
.........O..Chris....O
Old 5th Sep 2018, 1:33 pm   #19
ITAM805
Nonode

I added a couple of cable ties over the springs of my 70's lamp and adjusted them so as to stop the droop at a useful height. It only droops when in a lowered position, the ties dont affect it in the more upright positions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0177 (Large).jpg
Views:	240
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	168784  

Last edited by ITAM805; 5th Sep 2018 at 1:40 pm.
Old 5th Sep 2018, 2:08 pm   #20
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That's a genuine Anglepoise, probably 1990s rather than 1970s from the design of the knurled nuts and the black springs. No cable ties required if you use a nice, light LED lamp.
Closed Thread