UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Sep 2018, 12:54 pm   #81
greenstar
Octode

Default Re: Show us your drills!

Today's find - a Bridges 'Neonic' 1/4 inch. Good working order, £3 at croft car boot.
I wonder what the relationship was between Bridges and Stanley? I see some drills are labelled 'Stanley Bridges'. Not this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100612.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	169387   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100610.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	169388   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100611.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	169389  
Old 16th Sep 2018, 1:30 pm   #82
barrymagrec
Octode

Stanley took over S N Bridges in 1961 and sometime later changed the Bridges branding to Stanley Bridges
Old 16th Oct 2018, 4:04 pm   #83
rontech
Heptode

I remember my father acquiring an electric drill in about 1955 made by a company called "Bridges" It had a cast aluminium body and lasted for years. I have still got the 6" rubber disc attachment for holding abrasive discs. It had the "Tower Bridge" logo moulded into it.
Old 16th Oct 2018, 10:31 pm   #84
Herald1360
Dekatron

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flys like a banana"

Yes, but the plural of fly is also flies same as the present tense of the verb "to fly"

Ms Truss would be disappointed!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 16th Oct 2018, 11:56 pm   #85
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

I recall being taken by my Dad into his works on a Sunday (in the days when you had to work probably 6 days a week) as we drove into his section we passed a man working on his rusty Hillman sanding some filler, he was outside with plenty of puddles about him with his metal case drill. It was sometime later I heard a terrific scream and then heard the bustle of an ambulance arriving, but the man was dead.

When we went home I cut the lead off my Dad's old Wolf metal case drill and chucked it in the bin. Plenty of youngsters had seen the PIF film about the man being electrocuted with the drill, as it was usually on in the mornings or afternoons but a lot of adults were still not really aware of it.

Presumably the cable on the man's drill had been connected to a non standard (plenty about in those days) 13 amp socket where he was working and perhaps he omitted the earth who knows -he didn't live to tell the tale. I obviously had some explaining to do when Dad went to use his drill again, but persuaded him to get one of those new fangled plastic things.
Old 17th Oct 2018, 2:01 am   #86
Refugee
Dekatron

The drill in the safety film that I remember had the wires stuffed into a 13 amp socket without a plug.
Old 17th Oct 2018, 5:32 pm   #87
The Philpott
Dekatron

I think the next upgrade for my metal cased drills will be a combined RCD/13A plug, hard wired to the end of the cable. Screwfix have them. I find i cannae concentrate on drilling properly unless i have total confidence in the drill.

Dave
Old 21st Oct 2018, 8:36 am   #88
BulgingCap
Pentode

Last week I acquired a Bosch drill of unknown vintage. I could find no reference to it on the net apart from something that looked similar in a story about a Polish chap who had used one for 70 years after buying it from a displaced German family at the end of WWII. He had donated it recently to the Bosch museum. Then I spotted the drill thread on here, never having seen it before. The first post from Greenstar showed the same drill!

Mine does not have a chuck but an extension 'nose' that has a bladed end with two small pins or knobs. The end rotates freely but when depressed against a surface the blade engages and oscillates rapidly about 45 degrees either way. I have no idea as to its purpose, and have attached pics of the tool.

I also have a Wolf Sapphire pistol drill that I think was given to me by my father in 1972. He didn't sell them but gave them as Xmas gifts to his plumbing customers in Lincolnshire. It has the original brushes and is in regular use, even used at times to start recalcitrant outboard motors. I have since bought a couple of Sapphire drills with hammer gearboxes from yard sales. They are indestructible.

I notice with dismay that the brand and logo has appeared recently on some far Eastern junk, although whether this is an illegal operation I couldn't say.

The Wolf 'Standard Duty' drills are real wrist snappers. I have a couple.

-Fixitnow: I found a Desouter drill like yours ages ago. I don't use it but couldn't bear to throw it out. The brush caps were missing and they were impossible to source so I made a pair from nylon.

Regards, BC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVC-226F.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	171254   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-227F.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	171255   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-228F.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	171256   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-229F.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	171257   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-225F.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	171259  

Old 21st Oct 2018, 5:26 pm   #89
Radio Wrangler

That sounds like a valve-lapper.

Not our sort of valves, but poppet valves in the cylinder head of an engine. Some such valves came with two pre-drilled holes to suit the pins on the business end of a motorised lapper.

Smear on a dab of valve grinding paste onto the sealing face and insert the tool into the two holes and get going. Keep rotating the tool so lapping doesn't move back and forwards repetitively....

80 Watts is about right, it doesn't need a lot of power.

David
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 4:22 am   #90
BulgingCap
Pentode

I certainly would not have thought of that. I will research further with new search terms.
I have never come across this technique, or valves with holes for a tool, but it seems to be feasible. Initially I thought that I would not like to use such a tool on my British motorcycle cylinder heads in case the tool jumped out of the holes, but I suppose that most engine heads were cast iron in the period when this tool was made. The story of the Polish engineer suggests his similar looking drill could be pre-WWII.
Thanks for the info,
BC
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 4:30 am   #91
BulgingCap
Pentode

There we go: "vintage valve lapper" on Google, first hit gave me this picture of an essentially identical tool except the operator provides the 80W.
Many thanks, Radio Wrangler. A polymath indeed (or maybe an Engine Wrangler in your spare time..!)
BC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	171318  
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 11:09 am   #92
Refugee
Dekatron

Yes but yours is a much more fancy electric valve lapper.
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 2:16 pm   #93
BulgingCap
Pentode

It seems really fierce actually, so I would be a bit frightened to use it in anger.
BC
Old 24th Oct 2018, 9:42 am   #94
Brigham
Octode

If it is a valve-lapper, it will most likely turn further one way than the other.
My Tecalemit example turns three 'clicks' forward and two back, to ensure that the valve rotates as well as oscillates.
Old 25th Oct 2018, 5:57 pm   #95
ajgriff
Nonode

Having followed this thread for a while I couldn't resist buying the drill pictured below despite the fact that I really don't need another drill!

It's decent example of a little used sixties Stanley Bridges two speed drill complete with original chuck key I think.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stanley Bridges Drill.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	171531  
Old 26th Mar 2019, 4:58 pm   #96
greenstar
Octode

Ahh, there are some lovely drills here. I love the Stanley, Alan, it's nice to see one looking so new. And the Bosch valve lapper. That EW model number suggests a similarity to the drill in post 1.
My first trip to a car boot sale this year yielded two bigger Wolf's. I like the smaller hand drills most, but now I am getting into drills I am appreciating the bigger ones, and had decided to look out for one.
Here is a Wolf 1/2 inch WD34cA, 550rpm, and the 3/8 NW 3cE, 750 rpm. Both worked straight off, (I will be more careful to check all the wiring before trying these things out) but I have fitted serviceable cables and cable grips. I used the smaller rubber hose from a washing machine, just the right size for the grips. The half inch will need a thorough clean up. £3 each. The chap selling told me they had come from a neighbour's, and he had weighed in a heap of them for scrap aluminium.
Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1110425.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	180470   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110427.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	180471   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110426.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	180472   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110423.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	180473   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110424.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	180474  

Old 26th Mar 2019, 5:42 pm   #97
McMurdo
Dekatron

I've never used an old metal drill since! Take care, vintage drill fans...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sock.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	180479  
Old 26th Mar 2019, 8:40 pm   #98
greenstar
Octode

It is fair to point out that any 240v appliance can be lethal! used in the wrong way. I think I hardy need to say this to a group of people enthusiastic about old tech. Make sure the case is earthed, use an rcb, don't stand in a puddle, etc. A bad experience, Kevin, can of course lead to aversion (I ate a pumpkin part of which was mouldy and spent the night throwing up, and have since been put off the taste of pumpkin ... but avoiding pumpkin is not the issue). Many metal drills were used safely and heavily for many years and the build quailty is outstanding. There you go. Just use your wits.
Old 27th Mar 2019, 2:43 pm   #99
greenstar
Octode

Here are those two Wolf's cleaned up a little and looking happier. I also found a Youtube video of a chap with the NW3cE 3/8", who had it professionally serviced and still feels he has a bargain. He expresses himself pretty clearly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bifWv88p0QA&t=94s

Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1110429.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	180518   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110430.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	180519   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110431.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	180520  
Old 27th Mar 2019, 5:37 pm   #100
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
Having followed this thread for a while I couldn't resist buying the drill pictured below despite the fact that I really don't need another drill!

It's decent example of a little used sixties Stanley Bridges two speed drill complete with original chuck key I think.

Alan
I like the looks of that chuck key! At least, you can get a better grip on it the tighten the drill properly.
Closed Thread