UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2018, 1:38 pm   #21
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: ICE Speedmaster 1000 Eprom programmer

Adrian seemed sure (from experience?) that WinLV V2 does not support the 1000 series programmers, can you confirm that, Adrian?

(I'll PM you tonight re: File updates).
Old 23rd May 2018, 10:54 pm   #22
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Hi guyes sorry for the delay in replying, only just got back home. I have indeed receved the email form RF BURN and have downloaded the zip file. I'll be unable to do anything with it till early next week but will let you know how I get on.
Old 24th May 2018, 10:03 am   #23
RF Burn
Hexode

Hi Graham (SiriusHardware), email with software sent!

And you are correct, V2 software was written to support the 48 pin socket version (LV48) which, I believe is a complete re-design of the 1000 series. Enquirers on the net about 1000 software have also confirmed that V2 does not support these older programmers.

Jay,

Thanks for letting me know you have received the file OK, I did have a little trouble persuading my email server to upload the file!

Adrian

Last edited by RF Burn; 24th May 2018 at 10:09 am.
Old 24th May 2018, 11:02 am   #24
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Thanks Adrian, acknowledged. I won't be able to pick it up off my digital doormat until tonight, but I will let you know if I successfully receive it.
Old 24th May 2018, 8:02 pm   #25
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Adrian, download succesfully received and saved to HDD, but not yet installed.

I have been advised (ordered) to have a bit of a den clearout this evening, so will reluctantly defer the grand opening of the zip file until some time later, probably not until after the bank holiday now. I'll report back here when I've had a chance to play.

My thanks to Jay for his original post, without which I might never have known that there had been newer software made for these programmers, and to you, Adrian, for keeping it safe all these years and then taking the time to dig it out for us.
Old 24th May 2018, 10:48 pm   #26
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Yes huge thanks to Adrian by storing that software you have turned some intersting junk into a usefull piece of equipment.
Old 25th May 2018, 10:39 am   #27
RF Burn
Hexode

Just happy to be of some help lads!

FYI, I still use my MM1000+ programmer to program PIC micros and NVM (EEPROM) chips for old business customers who sometimes need their firmware updated.

Adrian
Old 28th May 2018, 10:28 pm   #28
JimmyDeath
Pentode

Hello

I thought I would join in this thread because I believe I have the same programmer as originally mentioned, see pic.

If that is the case I can confirm that the file 'MM1K-UD.zip' that Sirius uploaded works fine with my unit but as they are older versions of the files I already had installed I have attached my version (Chiptest V3.02 - Eprom V3.25 - PAL V3.11) which you may be interested in.

Note it is DOS only but runs quite happily within VirtualPC 2004 as long as the host OS supports printer ports. I am running mine on a win 98 machine at the moment.

I wasn't aware that there was a version of WinLV for this but if you one that works I would appreciate a copy.

Regards

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070260.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	163766  
Attached Files
File Type: zip SM1K_030208.zip (746.5 KB, 135 views)
Old 29th May 2018, 11:31 am   #29
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I gave WinLV V1 a brief test drive and found that it unfortunately could not 'see' my MM1000E (not plus - maybe that's the significance of the '+' ?). My (older) version of the DOS software finds it OK so the cable connection / interface is OK - I forget exactly which internal firmware 'selftest' reported finding, V2.xx I think.

JimmyDeath, thanks for uploading that newer file, I'll let you know if my MM1000 (not 'plus') is recognised by those later versions of the DOS software, although I imagine it will be.

It'll be interesting to hear if Jay's 'Plus' is recognised by the WinLV V1 software.
Old 29th May 2018, 12:28 pm   #30
RF Burn
Hexode

Mmmmm, just checked out what you guys are saying about the software that I uploaded to you, it was directly pulled from the computer (which runs Windows XP + SP3) which hosts my MM1000+ programmer unit.

I think that the software designer at IceTech decided to, or was told to remove the older devices from the programmer selection drop down box, as my programmer does not appear in it, HOWEVER, the software runs quite happily with it, and indeed shows MM1000 in the status bar at the bottom of the window.

Being a software engineer myself, I know from first hand experience the tricks that management play when they want to 'persuade' customers to buy their latest gizmos, but don't want to alienate old clients!

Adrian
Old 29th May 2018, 1:09 pm   #31
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I'm wondering if (For the purposes of connectivity to WinLV) there is a difference between the 'Plus' units which you and Jay have, and the 'not Plus' units which JimmyDeath and I have. That's why I look forward to hearing whether Jay's programmer is recognised by WinLV.

(JimmyDeath's unit appears to be an 'ordinary' Speedmaster 1000, unless the 'plus' is marked elsewhere on the unit).

If the purpose of the 'emulation' list was to let you run the software and see what your choice of programmer would be capable of if you bought one, then it would be natural to remove programmers which were no longer available to buy from the 'emulation' list. I bought my MM1000E in 1993 - it would be surprising to hear that it was still available to buy new in 2003, when WinLV V1 was the current software.
Old 29th May 2018, 4:37 pm   #32
JimmyDeath
Pentode

Hello

Mine is definitely not a plus, it could also be an early version as the reported firmware is V1.10 against Sirius's V2.xx

Regards

James
Old 29th May 2018, 10:18 pm   #33
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I've just looked at that again, using my current version of the DOS software. My Micromaster 1000E (from 1993) reports firmware version M2.01, the 'M' probably means 'emulator' as it does have that additional feature, as suggested by the 'E' on the end of the model number.

I haven't yet tried the late version DOS software you posted earlier, because the '98 laptop I run the software on is not network or internet connected and does not even have USB as it's slightly too early for that, so the only way I can get files onto it is via a floppy or a CD. I'll do that later in the week.
Old 29th May 2018, 11:12 pm   #34
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Hi guys i've not had chance to try the software yet however i hopefully will have some time tomorrow evening to have a go with it.

got both my 486 with DOS/win3.11 and my P120 with win95 ready to go and the software copied over to some 1.44 floppy disks. I can also try it on my old P3 laptop running win98se.

just to claarify the programmer i have is the speedmaster 1000 NOT the plus version however its differient in apperance to the one JimmyDeath has posted up above. Mine is in a plastic houseing two tone grey with a slope to the front.
Old 30th May 2018, 1:34 am   #35
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Well, I have confirmed again that WinLV V1, running on my Windows 98 laptop, does not 'see' my Micromaster 1000E even though the DOS software does see it connected using the same cable connected to LPT1. Mine has the same slope-fronted casing as yours, by the way.

If you have the same problem with WinLV, you should at least still be able to use the DOS software, out of which JimmyDeath's version would now seem to be the newest (I think Adrian mentioned that he also had the same version of the DOS software on a floppy). So even if WinLV doesn't work with yours either, you should still be able to get up and running with the DOS software.

For someone with your obvious interest in retrocomputing, the separate CHIPTEST software in the package is tremendously useful as it does functional testing of not only most 74xx series, most 40xx series logic and a good selection of DRAMs and SRAMs, it also tests one or two microprocessor peripheral ICs - the 8255 springs to mind. Furthermore, it allows you to design 'custom' chip tests to cover devices not included in the standard libraries. This is also true of the EPROM programming software by the way, you can adapt existing or design new programming algorithms for devices not included in the original libraries. Obviously you need good data for the target device to be able to do that.

The 74xx and 40xx ICs which are not covered by CHIPTEST are those which have a degree of 'analogueness' about them such as monostables (like 74123) which usually require external R/C circuits to function.
Old 30th May 2018, 10:47 am   #36
RF Burn
Hexode

Guys, I have the following original 3.5" floppy disks distributed by Ice Technology:

1) Micromaster 1000 (c) Ice Technology Ltd. 1991 (1 disk)
2) Win 95 Software; winLV v.1.01.0139. DOS Software; EPROM v.5.13, PAL v.5.05, EMUL v.2.05, GLV32 v.2.07. no date (2 disks)

My only computer with a 3.5 floppy drive in it is refusing to read any disk that I put in it and I just don't have the time to find out why. It could be that all the old disks (12) that I tried in it have lost their data or that the drive or OS has a problem, who knows.

Anyway as these disks are of no use to me, if one of you guys have a 3.5" drive and would like to try and at least get the files off them then you can have them gratis. PM me if one of you wants them and I will post them off.

Adrian
Old 30th May 2018, 12:30 pm   #37
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I would like copies of the DOS software as they are later versions again than any others discussed here so far: But unfortunately you can not read them. I wonder if you have HDD backed up copies of these versions of the s/w?

I'd like to be in the queue for these but I recognise that JimmyDeath would be equally interested in them, and Jay has no original software at all for his programmer so ultimately, it would be better if they ended up with Jay. But I would ask that if anyone does take them and is able to read them, please post copies here.
Old 30th May 2018, 12:32 pm   #38
JimmyDeath
Pentode

Hello Adrian

I have several 3.5" drives and would like to put my name in the hat for these. Happy to image them for everyone else if they can be read.

Regards

James
Old 30th May 2018, 2:20 pm   #39
RF Burn
Hexode

James (JimmyDeath),

As Graham (SiriusHardware) is quite happy to defer to you, I will send you these disks on the basis that if they are readable then the disk images are made available to anyone who wants them on the forum.

So, if you can PM me your address I'll get them in the post to you.

Adrian

p.s. Unfortunately HDD backups no longer exist.
Old 30th May 2018, 5:16 pm   #40
JimmyDeath
Pentode

Hello

Thanks for that, I have one of those flux reader cards so if there is anything recoverable on the floppy then it can usually read it.

I'll send a PM

Regards

James
Closed Thread