UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2013, 10:59 am   #1
Rick62008
Retired Dormant Member

Default Were all TurboDrive Philips deck made this way? No lubrication on critical parts?

Hi.
I have acquired a Philips VCR VR685 (which one of the many issues was already explained here https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=94870 ) and this is my first TurboDrive deck based VCR iI ever got to work and iI have to ask if it is normal the nearly complete lack of lubrication on critical parts. I was actually a bit shocked when some of the parts were just grinding against each other leading to its demise so soon. I know this is a later deck but it was introduced in 1994\95 iI guess so iI still expected better.

Is this really how all TurboDrive Philips decks were made? Not to mention the flimsy plastics all over the place which make later revisions of the Philips Charly deck look like a true beast in robustness.
Old 29th Mar 2013, 3:03 pm   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Where all TurboDrive Philips deck made this way? No lubrification on critical par

Hi
The answer is yes! There was the odd daub of Molykote or similar here and there. However, Philips had learned from the Charlie series so the plastic was of slightly better quality, though about half of the decks I saw had the record prevention tab and spring broken off, rattling round inside.
They did seem to last well, though.
Glyn
Old 30th Mar 2013, 12:18 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Where all TurboDrive Philips deck made this way? No lubrification on critical par

They're starting to deteriorate, recently I've had a couple with crumbled plastic bushes on the chassis where drum load arm mech goes. Also had one where the brakes stopped working for the same reason. That they've lasted since the late 90s at all is surprising. Probably best avoided now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4523.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	78021   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4525.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	78022  
Old 30th Mar 2013, 12:54 pm   #4
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
You're right, Ben, of course, though they certainly lasted better than those Eighties all-plastic cassette decks they made! We need to remember they've done their job - a consumer product that lasted five to ten years until VHS beacme obsolete.
With the increasing 'solid-state-ification' of everyhting we'll one day look at the mechanics of a video recorder - even the Turbo deck - and be amazed it ever worked.
Glyn
Old 30th Mar 2013, 6:34 pm   #5
Rick62008
Retired Dormant Member

Well iI went ahead and lubricated this turbrodrive deck, although iI just noticed that if too much lub is added in the mode wheel it can get to the tape when the tape ejects and the pinch roller rises to its park position.
Old 31st Mar 2013, 10:04 pm   #6
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
They're starting to deteriorate, recently I've had a couple with crumbled plastic bushes on the chassis where drum load arm mech goes. Also had one where the brakes stopped working for the same reason. That they've lasted since the late 90s at all is surprising. Probably best avoided now.
The crumbling bushes are typical for 1996/1997 model years (VR666 etc). Haven't seen them on any earlier or later models.

I don't think turbodrives should be avoided, as it is arguably the best mechanism still produced after all other brands switched to flimsy crap.
Old 5th Apr 2013, 7:31 pm   #7
trellis
Pentode

Default Re: Were all TurboDrive Philips deck made this way? No lubrification on critical par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Hi
With the increasing 'solid-state-ification' of everyhting we'll one day look at the mechanics of a video recorder - even the Turbo deck - and be amazed it ever worked.
Glyn
Quite honestly, ever since opening up my first VHS VCR to watch how it operated, I find it astonishing not only that they work, but they work so well, and they're so cheap to buy! Truly remarkable technology that we just took for granted.
Old 5th Apr 2013, 10:29 pm   #8
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Were all TurboDrive Philips deck made this way? No lubrication on critical parts?

They weren't cheap to buy when they first came out.

They worked because they were born out of the Philips N1500/1700 which in turn evolved from Alpha wrap reel to reel VTR's.

I find it quite amazing watching record player autochangers in action and they were 20 - 30 years or more previous.

The fact that VCR's are cheap now comes of 35 years of evolution, together with different manufacturing techniques.

I believe the Turbo and its predecessor the Charlie deck were assembled completely by machine.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 6th Apr 2013, 10:55 am   #9
Rick62008
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Were all TurboDrive Philips deck made this way? No lubrification on critical par

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellis View Post
Quite honestly, ever since opening up my first VHS VCR to watch how it operated, I find it astonishing not only that they work, but they work so well, and they're so cheap to buy! Truly remarkable technology that we just took for granted.
Indeed! Most of the time people look at VCRs as clumbsy or fail prone machines, mostly because the only vcr they ever owned was after 1998\2000 and the quality never again matched the previous VCRs.

VCRs can be really clever mechanically wise, and a feast for the eyes. People never understood what brains went into their design and they just toss it away like if it was a empty can.

Who knows, maybe some day VCRs will collectible. They are becoming already hard to find and even worse, in working condition.

Michael Maurice, as for the turbodrive and charly decks being assembled by machines, you wouldn't know if is there in existence any video of that happening? That would be historical actually.
Old 6th Apr 2013, 7:48 pm   #10
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Were all TurboDrive Philips deck made this way? No lubrication on critical parts?

If there's a promotion video of such manufacturing, it was probably made by Philips Austria as the deck manufacturing was exclusively done there.
Closed Thread