UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2020, 8:23 pm   #21
paulsherwin

Default Re: Suggestions welcomed for an inexpensive restoration project.

Posts will generally stay indefinitely unless there is something objectionable about them.
Old 2nd Feb 2020, 9:25 am   #22
BrianAllen
Heptode

Thank you, so much valuable information on here.

Regards,

Brian
Old 2nd Feb 2020, 1:25 pm   #23
llama
Octode

According to Google Maps, I'm only 42 miles away if you fancy a trip out this way. I've got a few valve radios and some transistor ones you can have FOC. Pick and choose and then come back for more!
Graham
Old 2nd Feb 2020, 2:37 pm   #24
BrianAllen
Heptode

Thank you Graham, I will take you up on your offer.

So many generous people on here; I hope that I will be in a position to reciprocate in the near future.

Regards,

Brian
Old 2nd Feb 2020, 8:13 pm   #25
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTechFan96 View Post
Don't shy away from an FM set! They are a lot more usable than MW/LW only sets.
I agree with that. Get it working on MW/LW first then sort out FM.

Something like a Bush VHF80 is a good choice. Fairly easy to work on with the large flat chassis, uses commonly available parts, unlikely to have any nasty surprises, sounds really good (especially on FM) when working well, and still fairly common. Cabinets tend to be reasonable too, and fairly easy to dismantle everything if you need to respray the front.

Main issue is that there will be lots of Hunts capacitors to replace. Also it is an AC/DC set with the chassis connected to one side of the mains so needs extra care (and perhaps an isolating transformer) if working on it live.

VHF81 is the wooden cabinet version, otherwise identical to the '80.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 2nd Feb 2020, 8:30 pm   #26
BrianAllen
Heptode

Thank you Paul, I will keep my eye out for one.

I intend going to Harpenden next month, so will "pick the brains" of other attendees regarding a live chassis. I think I understand but can never have too much information/advice.
Old 5th Feb 2020, 10:26 pm   #27
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTechFan96 View Post
Don't shy away from an FM set! They are a lot more usable than MW/LW only sets.
I agree with that. Get it working on MW/LW first then sort out FM.

Something like a Bush VHF80 is a good choice. Fairly easy to work on with the large flat chassis, uses commonly available parts, unlikely to have any nasty surprises, sounds really good (especially on FM) when working well, and still fairly common. Cabinets tend to be reasonable too, and fairly easy to dismantle everything if you need to respray the front.

Main issue is that there will be lots of Hunts capacitors to replace. Also it is an AC/DC set with the chassis connected to one side of the mains so needs extra care (and perhaps an isolating transformer) if working on it live.

VHF81 is the wooden cabinet version, otherwise identical to the '80.
The VHF 81's are fairly easy to work on but it takes some figuring out how to get the dial glass to actually clear the cabinet upon removing the chassis.
While on the subject of this particular set, the plastic capacitors have a tendency to either split or go leaky, resulting in a knackered o/p valve.
The switchgear leaves a lot to be desired too.
Personally, the American sets are by far the easiest to service, minimal components and very good reception.
Just some thoughts, Rick.
Old 6th Feb 2020, 12:11 pm   #28
David Simpson
Nonode

Brian, whilst waiting to decide on your next project, you could maybe continue to hone your basic electronics skills. Skills such as soldering, measuring of resistance, capacitance, inductance. The mnemonic BBROYGBVGW for reading of resistance banding colour coding is well worth learning.
Have you any old scrap items of circuitry such as tagstrips, printed circuit board, veroboard, etc., which you could practice on ? Recent thread posts on soldering & solder stations are well worth reading. Other threads(via "Search") on basic test equipment such as Multimeters, Meggers, LCR Meters, and good old reliable AVO8's, etc. are also a great source of info.
If you find yourself struggling with a particular aspect of VRR&R, perhaps you might find a kind old(yep - old, according to Jeremy's summation of the age poll results) Forum member living near you who could mentor you.
Get your arris along to BVWS Swapmeets, or local Amateur Radio Society junk sales. Great opportunity to meet like-minded enthusiasts, and acquire decent 2nd hand test equipment & gash stuff to practice on.
Finally, try & keep a note or record of your projects. Might come in handy several years away, should a similar faulty item comes your way again.

Regards, David
Old 6th Feb 2020, 5:31 pm   #29
BrianAllen
Heptode

Hello David, some great advice there; thanks for taking the time to post.

I did recently purchase a box of various components from an ebay auction. A bit of job lot of small speakers, a small fan and PCB's and other bits and pieces (probably from old computers). Some great stuff to practice desoldering and resoldering also lots of components to practice using my multimeter on and getting to recognise resistor colour codes. I only paid about £7 including postage, so I don't have to worry about any costly mistakes.
I will be going the Harpenden BVWS Swapmeet next month of which I am really looking forward to.

Thanking you once again for your advice.

Regards,

Brian
Old 6th Feb 2020, 9:01 pm   #30

When very young I struggled with the resistor code until I twigged it was the rainbow with a few bits at the ends. Easy after that. It came to be so automatic when asked what the colours where on a resistor in an interview (HR doing it not an engineer) I read the value in ohms and converted back to the colours, all these years later it is still an instant thing for 3 band ones.

Good job getting a jumble of bits to play with, when testing components on a board with your multimeter the others round it can (and usually do) make the reading not quite right, try it both ways round and then after removing the component (or just one leg).

Quote:
I will be going the Harpenden BVWS Swapmeet next month of which I am really looking forward to.
Take a sports car, motorcycle or public transport, you limit the amount of stuff you take home!

Old 6th Feb 2020, 9:29 pm   #31
BrianAllen
Heptode

I did actually Google mnemonic BBROYGBVGW and surprise surprise the racist stuff came up first, so will find something in good taste to remember the values.

Nice little exercise to test components on and off the board.

Thank you.
Closed Thread