UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jan 2020, 12:28 am   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile US outlet query.

Hi,
Just another daft question.
Why is the right hand slot ('live' or 'hot') on an American 110 volts socket outlet sometimes 'T' shaped?
I've seen them at airports and in commercial premises, but less so in domestic situations. I know that there is a 220 volt version with horizontal slots, and the usual 110 volt ones have vertical slots, but I'm curious about the
T' slot.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 24th Jan 2020, 12:40 am   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: US outlet query.

Is this what you are looking for?
https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/NorthAm1combi.html
Old 24th Jan 2020, 12:53 am   #3
MrElectronicman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
Hi,
Just another daft question.
Why is the right hand slot ('live' or 'hot') on an American 110 volts socket outlet sometimes 'T' shaped?
I've seen them at airports and in commercial premises, but less so in domestic situations. I know that there is a 220 volt version with horizontal slots, and the usual 110 volt ones have vertical slots, but I'm curious about the
T' slot.
Cheers, Pete.

The T shape is usually used in places like Hospitals to indicate the ground.

Domestic outlets are the usual 3 pin and they are also much cheaper, and sometimes they are not always wired correctly.
Old 24th Jan 2020, 2:07 am   #4
broadgage
Nonode

It may be a standard 120 volt 20 amp outlet, rather than the much more common 120 volt 15 amp outlet.

Common USA practice is to connect multiple 15 amp outlets to 15 amp or to 20 amp circuits.
If higher loading appliances are to be used, then 20 amp outlets on 20 amp circuits.

The very common 15 amp plugs will fit 15 amp outlets or 20 amp outlets.
The less common 20amp plugs will only fit the 20 amp outlets, a 15 amp outlet will reject the 20 amp plug.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/390265123937218008/
Old 24th Jan 2020, 7:17 pm   #5
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
It may be a standard 120 volt 20 amp outlet, rather than the much more common 120 volt 15 amp outlet.

Common USA practice is to connect multiple 15 amp outlets to 15 amp or to 20 amp circuits.
If higher loading appliances are to be used, then 20 amp outlets on 20 amp circuits.

The very common 15 amp plugs will fit 15 amp outlets or 20 amp outlets.
The less common 20amp plugs will only fit the 20 amp outlets, a 15 amp outlet will reject the 20 amp plug.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/390265123937218008/
Your answer is Spot On!
I couldn't have answered the inquiry any better and I was in the trade.
Dave, USradcoll1, retired electrician.
Closed Thread