UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Aug 2007, 10:05 pm   #1
dominicbeesley
Octode

Default TV24 CRT tips

Hello All,

I'm finally getting round to having a look at my TV24 now I've got a standards converter.

I've managed to get everything out of the cabinet and it looks fairly nice and neat. A few questions though:

1) This is my first "old" telly since I was a kid, since then I have become more worried about killing myself, (though not unduly I still drive my old bus without a seatbelt quite hapilly) - long sleeved denim shirt, and safety specs - is that sufficient?

2) The tube doesn't appear to be properly mounted - it is flush with the felt pads in the wooden collar at the bottom but not all the way round. Should I loosen the mounting collar at the back and slide it back until it looks more flush. (When in the set originally it was not lined up nicely with the rubber and it looks like it is putting undue stress on the neck).

3) What should I use to "safely" discharge the EHT component? Is my usual 100k resistor with croc clips adequate? Is there a simple tool for doing this?

4) The screen is pretty dusty am I ok to just windolene it? gently...

Cheers

Dom
Old 20th Aug 2007, 10:32 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: TV24 CRT tips

First - Read up:

www.oldtellys.co.uk

The set is the wooden version of the TV22 - There's a sign up top there - I think Paul has a manual of some kind.

Safety is paramount. Dry floor, Rubber Soled Shoes, Isolating Transformer, Variac... but keep one hand behind your back when making measurements. Don't run current across your heart...

Not got a TV22/24 so I can't get mine out to check, but please move the tube as gently as possible and don't force it. If you break it, you might well not get another.

As far as discharging EHT goes, I use 2 screwdrivers, then put the tool that you mention on. But I'm very crude - use a 10K resistor to discharge to deck.

Windolene will do, but be gentle.

Remember - the Set is replaceable - you're not.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 21st Aug 2007, 11:35 am   #3
af024
Octode

Yes I know what you mean about the CRT mounting on a TV24. It scares me too. It seems to rely heavilly on being inside the cabinet. When out of the cabinet, I always tie a thick rubber band across the face of the CRT to keep some front to rear pressure on it. Otherwise the whole thing can slide forwards with all the weight being supported by the neck (eakkk!!).

Regards,

Andy
Old 21st Aug 2007, 12:01 pm   #4
Panrock
Nonode

Long time since I've seen a TV24. But I presume the tube mounting is like the TUG24 console version.

In the TUG24 I needed to be very careful when withdrawing the chassis from the cabinet, especially since the tube face could be stuck to the screen mask and will need to be dislodged. Yes, wear goggles. You must make sure no sideways strain is put on the tube neck.

With the tube-and-chassis safely out on the bench, the first thing I did was to make a criss-cross string affair that pulls the tube firmly back into the mountings. To see what I mean see the attached pic. You can probably do better than this - rubber banding or webbing would be better. The main thing is the tube mustn't move.

Then you can turn the whole thing on its side safely for servicing.

For cleaning the tube face an anti-static cleaner is best. But don't use it elsewhere on the tube, particularly around the EHT connector.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tellies.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	11665  
Old 21st Aug 2007, 12:57 pm   #5
af024
Octode

A TV24 (and rather feeble rubber band affair) ....

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush TV24 019a.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	11666  

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 10th Jul 2008 at 4:46 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 21st Aug 2007, 2:59 pm   #6
dominicbeesley
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
Long time since I've seen a TV24. But I presume the tube mounting is like the TUG24 console version.
Looks pretty much identical!

Quote:
With the tube-and-chassis safely out on the bench, the first thing I did was to make a criss-cross string affair that pulls the tube firmly back into the mountings. To see what I mean see the attached pic. You can probably do better than this - rubber banding or webbing would be better. The main thing is the tube mustn't move.
Thank you! Excellent idea

Quote:
Then you can turn the whole thing on its side safely for servicing.

You read my mind! That was going to be my next question!

Dom
Closed Thread