UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jun 2019, 1:07 am   #1
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default NAD 6325; Stuck Cassette Drawer

I have a problem with the cassette drawer, loaded with a cassette, which just won’t open.

It started when I tried to unload a cassette, and the drawer opened but some tape seemed to have tangled in the mechanism and the cassette could not be extracted. In trying to solve the problem, I just made things worse, reaching a point where the drawer does not now open to any extent; it’s firmly latched closed.

I’ve removed the case, so I can see the whole of the transport mechanism, but I cannot figure out why the drawer won’t open, but I’m not at all familiar with cassette mechanics.

If anyone can suggest what I do, I’d very much appreciate that.

Thanks

B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020445.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	185341  

Last edited by Bazz4CQJ; 19th Jun 2019 at 1:17 am.
Old 19th Jun 2019, 1:44 am   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: NAD 6325; Stuck Cassette Drawer

Panic over; problem solved . Found a reference on Google to a similar problem with a NAD 6340. All that's needed is to turn the flywheel a little and there's click and everything appears good again. Seems that the problem relates to the heads staying partially forward after STOP has been pressed.

Wonder if there's any kind of maintenance (lubing?) that might be appropriate while the cover is off?

B
Old 19th Jun 2019, 6:25 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I suspect you need to change the main belt from the motor to the capstan flywheel, Bazz.
Old 19th Jun 2019, 10:01 am   #4
paulsherwin

Yes, this sort of mechanical problem is often a sign that the main capstan belt is knackered. It usually isn't obvious that the belt is bad.
Old 19th Jun 2019, 4:53 pm   #5
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Thanks for those suggestions, which may well be quite right. Since my last post, I've realised that turning the flywheel does enable the drawer to be opened, but as soon as you put a cassette in and press PLAY, things proceed well for about 2 seconds before the everything stops and the and the drawer is stuck closed again.

I've never changed a belt before; any pointers has to sourcing one and how to do it would be welcome.

I'm quite fond of my old NAD gear (I have a 3020 receiver also, bought new back in ~1987) and this is the first time I've ever had any problems with either.

Thanks
B
Old 19th Jun 2019, 5:27 pm   #6
paulsherwin

The procedure varies but usually involves removing a backplate containing the capstan flywheel back bearing. You can use the old belt to work out the required size if it's not too far gone. The belt width isn't normally critical so long as it rides the motor pulley correctly. CPC stock a range of belts.

You could try removing the old belt, boiling it in an old pan, then putting it back. This works surprisingly often, at least for a while, but replacement belts are cheap enough.
Old 19th Jun 2019, 6:42 pm   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

With decks oike that in your NAD 6325, the back plate c/w capstan motor has to be removed. The new belt is then fitted around the flywheel. There is usually some form of protusion onto which the belt is temporarily hooked whilst re-fitting the back plate & motor, then, using some form of hook tool, the belt is carefully routed around the motor pulley, taking care not to twist it (the new belt) and to ensure that it's correctly routed around other parts of the drive mechanism. There will almost certainly be a second, smaller, square-section belt, probably associated with the other motor, which is used in FF & REW. modes. These jobs are fiddly, but doable with care. Service info. may be available from HiFi Engine. This is downloadable F.O.C. from their site, but you have to register with them first.
Old 19th Jun 2019, 7:53 pm   #8
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Ok, thanks for that. I've been watching YouTube videos (on other machines) and clearly this needs the front panel to be taken off the main chassis, so looks like I need to start off with a clear bench and budget an afternoon for it.

B
Old 13th Feb 2020, 5:59 pm   #9
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Well, I finally got around to changing the belts on the NAD, but the outcome seems bad. First time I powered it up, there were "unhappy" mechanical sounds coming out of the transport mechanism for a few seconds, then those stopped and the mechanism is now sitting with the pinch wheel up against the capstan in the play position, but the capstan is not spinning.

Subsequently, power-cycling or pressing any of the control buttons or revolving the flywheel have had no effect; the machine seems to be locked and dead in this position.

I have no prior experience of working on cassette decks, so any suggestions on what to do next would be welcome.

Thanks

B
Old 13th Feb 2020, 6:25 pm   #10
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

You say revolving the flywheel by hand has no effect. Is it easy to turn? If so, do the capstan and the take-up spool turn? I assume there isn't a cassette in it. If not, it shouldn't have gone into play. You'll need to 'trip' the solenoid that engages the mechanism that moves the pinchroller. Now turn the flywheel so it moves it back to the stop/eject state. Now I think you'll need to remove the deck completely to see exactly what's going wrong. Keep us posted!
Closed Thread