UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Feb 2020, 3:13 pm   #1
Robsradio
Heptode

Default Smiths Sectronic

I must keep away from charity shops!
This clock called to me a few days ago, it was looking very tired and dirty and wouldn’t run.
I asked the shop manager if they had a screwdriver i could borrow as I wanted to take the rear cover off to see if a battery had exploded, it looked as though an alkaline has leaked over the negative spring contact, but it was recoverable.
So handed over a few coins and brought it home.
There was an Energizer alkaline fitted with an ED of 2027, tested this and seems as new, so the fault was within the movement.
Checked voltage at movement connections and looked ok, flicked the balance and voltage was wavering significantly, so tightened the positive lead screw and voltage was steady and clock started to run, but I wasn’t happy with the balance amplitude, it was barely 180deg, it should be well over 200deg.
So stripped, cleaned and re-oiled, balance now around 260deg and sounds sweet.
A quick clean and polish of the case, and glass and I’m pleased with the result (may polish the bezel another day).
It has no real monetary value, but sometimes the tinkering and results are the true ‘value’ in enjoyment.
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0976CAC3-379A-42E1-89E3-048EBE596942.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	198668   Click image for larger version

Name:	1DC0B4D7-DAF4-421E-B59C-9CBEBCCB975D.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	198669  
Old 9th Feb 2020, 11:30 pm   #2
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Smiths Sectronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsradio View Post
It has no real monetary value, but sometimes the tinkering and results are the true ‘value’ in enjoyment.
Rob
So true and it's good to know that I'm not the only one who gets tempted by clocks like this although mine are Metamecs rather than Smiths. My favourite is actually a kitchen wall clock identical to the one in the attached image as it's a bit late in the day for a photography session showing the actual clock. Cost next to nothing and once refurbished has graced my kitchen above the door for eight years without missing a beat. Whatever you do Rob don't start avoiding charity shops.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Metamec Yellow Wall Clock.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	198720  
Old 10th Feb 2020, 9:22 pm   #3
Robsradio
Heptode

That’s a lovely Metamec, is yours mains, battery or 8 day?
Old 10th Feb 2020, 10:22 pm   #4
ajgriff
Nonode

Mains with a bakelite casing and all metal movement (if memory serves) which I think dates it to the 1950s. There was a later version with a smaller white casing (plastic?) and a third hand for seconds. Some of the them had cream rather than yellow faces but there may have been other colours as well. I'll post some proper photos when I get a chance. I've got three other Metamec mantle clocks similar in style to your Smiths charity shop find. Two are battery and one is mains powered. Doesn't seem to be much appreciation of them generally but to me they have a certain period charm.

Alan
Old 10th Feb 2020, 11:35 pm   #5
ajgriff
Nonode

Just a quick view of the actual clock with its period mains connection.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Metamec Wall Clock.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	198783  
Old 11th Feb 2020, 6:36 pm   #6
Robsradio
Heptode

Very nice Alan