UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Feb 2020, 4:53 pm   #1
Dorian27
Heptode

Default Akai 1710

I have an Akai 1710 and the sound on the right speaker using internal amp is very poor quality compared to the left, which is a nice rich quality. I have changed valves but to no avail. I don't know where to look as I am a novice especially when it comes to capacitors. Can any one advise where to look please, or what to do please.

Using external amp all sounds good then if that helps any.
Old 5th Feb 2020, 5:35 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Akai 1710

Have you also tried playing back through external speakers ? i.e. direct to external speakers not through external amplifier.

Are you happy that the right channel internal speaker is not physically damaged, such as a split cone ?

Also how does it sound on headphones when connected direct to the recorder ?
Old 5th Feb 2020, 8:28 pm   #3
Dorian27
Heptode

Have not tried any of this thank you will try soon and let you now
Old 6th Feb 2020, 9:16 am   #4
saxmaniac
Heptode

I think capacitors are very good quality in these, so don't just jump on the fashion for recapping but track down actual fault. Do the obvious as above but go down the route of measuring voltages in supplies and round the valves. I think a manual should be available and you can compare between the channels as well. It's worth checking mute switch and rp switch before all that
Old 6th Feb 2020, 4:36 pm   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Dorian, for any internal live work/monitoring be very careful, your personal safety should be your main priority.

All equipment that uses 240 volt AC mains is potentially dangerous, old/vintage valve equipment is potentially additionally more dangerous because of the high DC voltages present, that valve circuitry use.

For any non live internal inspections always ensure that the mains power plug for the equipment is first unplugged from the wall socket (i.e. not just switched off at the wall)
and allow at least 5 minutes after powering down the equipment, for the internal capacitors to discharge sufficiently, before any internal access work is undertaken.

Before any internal testing is carried out it would be worthwhile first doing a safe (non live) internal visual inspection of the components (ones that can be accessed/seen) to see if there is any sign of any components having overheated/being damaged/leaking/looking stressed/burnt etc
Old 8th Feb 2020, 6:25 pm   #6
Dorian27
Heptode

Thank you all for your help .I took the player out of the case could not see anything bad I tried external speaker and it was fine.So I put it all back in it's case and low and behold it all works again with nice sound .If it goes again I will have to look further but for now leave well alone thank you all
Old 8th Feb 2020, 11:27 pm   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Well done Dorian, that is good news, hopefully it will stay fixed.

Even if the problem does return, you now know that currently the problem is not a permanent problem.
Closed Thread