UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Oct 2019, 10:24 am   #1
electronicskip
Nonode

Default What's your winter project?

First frost on the shed/workshop this morning as the clocks change has prompted me to sort out a couple of winter projects.

Another Philips N1702 to tinker with and a couple of Midland CB Radios I've been meaning to restore.

What's your winter project?
Old 27th Oct 2019, 10:41 am   #2
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Re: Whats your winter project?

I've having some work done on my loft with a decent ladder installed and having it all boarded. So I'm going to sort out 25 years of "accumulation," a big task, but someones got to do it!
Old 27th Oct 2019, 10:42 am   #3
ajgriff
Nonode

My objective is to finish last year's winter projects! In particular the refurbishment of a box full of faulty Flukes and completing the restoration of a Roberts R505 ought to be priorities.

Alan
Old 27th Oct 2019, 10:56 am   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Very similar to Clive. I already had a decent Loft Ladder and a very experienced builder/neighbour did a great job boarding out the roof space into a couple of storage/work rooms but that was quite a while ago now. My painting/shelving/carpeting and sorting part is ongoing so I hope to push on over the winter to finish. It is a work in progress but in the process, bits of kit emerge that I need to do some work on as well so it's not all paint and carpentry.

Dave W
Old 27th Oct 2019, 10:57 am   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

An Ekco A22, but I’ve cheated a bit, I’ve been working on it since may this year! progress so far can be found here

Also got a bashed up Murphy SAD94, which really does look sad! Big crack in the cabinet to fix, should be fun. Also need to get back to a Motorola 7VT2 tv from the USA, and have a look at my TV22 and see what needs sorting in that. There’s a Sony DSR-PD170 camcorder that I got from the NVCF this year that was dead as a doornail, after tidying up the power board and linking out the OC fuses it fired up and worked perfectly! Just need to source some new SMD fuses (1.4A 24V, 0805) and a couple of SMD caps to tidy it up and it’s good to go, it’s also got a really low hours count on it, so loads of life left in it.

That’s just a few of the things in the queue currently, I’m sure I’ll find many more things yet!

Regards
Lloyd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4C26B95D-6A0C-4B11-B8F1-0FAEC0D403F3.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	192479   Click image for larger version

Name:	A9141452-480C-4061-B1DA-4A0CA57BDD20.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	192480   Click image for larger version

Name:	57228B98-E3FC-4B5D-A682-5C60BE4D4D63.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	192481  
Old 27th Oct 2019, 11:15 am   #6
unitaudio
Heptode

First up is restoration of a Sharp WQ1234 stereo radio cassette portable, then an Aiwa ADF-410K cassette deck with a locked up mechanism and after that I don't know although there's plenty of other goodies in the queue.

Regards,
Paul
Old 27th Oct 2019, 11:54 am   #7
Cobaltblue

Two sets that have been waiting for some action for a while.

Both have sat semi dismantled for over 6 months a Cossor 222 and a Cossor BR2.

I got as far as checking that all the major parts were OK when got distracted by other things.
I am going to have to re-stuff all the power supply caps in the 222 including a pretty early wet electrolytic in its Copper can. The rest are square metal cased paper capacitors.
This set has a classic power supply 3 capacitors and two chokes, pretty extravagent for a 2 Valve + Rec TRF.
Once I have finished this one I have a second 222 awaiting the same treatment.
There was no official Cossor Service sheet for the 222 but there is one for the 222A as far as I can see the differences were in the power supply and output stages.
The RF stages everything is moved around but appears to be electrically the same.

The BR2 is pretty straight foward the circuit or one close enough appears in the Cossor 1932 pocket guide.
It's pretty simple anyway so no circuit really needed,
Really it just needs cleaning up and testing.
Not sure what to do about the case it looks "Scruffy" but not really bad enough to repaint.
It came with an HT power supply which needs more work than the Radio although it does look tidier

Cheers

Mike T
Old 27th Oct 2019, 12:01 pm   #8
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Basically completing a Bush DAC90A, which has been 'in progress' for several months!
Old 27th Oct 2019, 12:04 pm   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

For me it's:

o Investigating/fixing low sensitivity on my Barker-88. I'm suspecting something has gone 'soft' in the IF chain.

o Continuing the rebuild of a Hallicrafters S27. All the wiring is cotton-covered and totally rotten; I have a good stash of the fibreglass-covered high-temp wire salvaged from a cooker. There's also loads of resistors/capacitors that I know from experience will be leaky/drifted.

o Rebuilding a Roberts R707 whose output-stage has blown its power-transistor pair (I plan to install a LM380-based IC amplifier) and has what I suspect are Lockfit-related issues in the preamp/tone-control.

o Building up the single-ended transistor amp I've been discuusing here recently.

That lot should keep me occupied for a few dark evenings!

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 27th Oct 2019 at 12:10 pm.
Old 27th Oct 2019, 12:23 pm   #10
John10b
Nonode

Shed/workshop had new roof so should be good for several years. Continuing with the Pye Blackbox, Amp and deck mostly completed, deciding on how to tackle cabinet.
Cheers
John
Old 27th Oct 2019, 12:25 pm   #11
mickm3for
Heptode

First finishing the tcs 12 tx rx, power supply built then restore the command receiver/transmitter both 3-6mhz but the tx moddied for topband i have the orignal parts , finish homebrew q meter, cap reformer/ tester, sort a Rees Mace RMH24 had this for a while also various xtal sets to restore not forgetting the Globe King and HAC 1 valve trf that i have Mick
Old 27th Oct 2019, 12:27 pm   #12
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
An Ekco A22, but I’ve cheated a bit, I’ve been working on it since may this year! progress so far can be found here

Also got a bashed up Murphy SAD94, which really does look sad! Big crack in the cabinet to fix, should be fun. Also need to get back to a Motorola 7VT2 tv from the USA, and have a look at my TV22 and see what needs sorting in that. There’s a Sony DSR-PD170 camcorder that I got from the NVCF this year that was dead as a doornail, after tidying up the power board and linking out the OC fuses it fired up and worked perfectly! Just need to source some new SMD fuses (1.4A 24V, 0805) and a couple of SMD caps to tidy it up and it’s good to go, it’s also got a really low hours count on it, so loads of life left in it.

That’s just a few of the things in the queue currently, I’m sure I’ll find many more things yet!

Regards
Lloyd
I'd love to see how you're progressing with that Ekco!
Old 27th Oct 2019, 1:36 pm   #13

Finding the floor in both workshops!

Old 27th Oct 2019, 2:00 pm   #14
dragonser
Heptode

hi,
I have Heathkit HFW-1 tv alignment generator to recap. ( and probably re resistor ! ).
I've managed to get hold of the caps, now I just have to find time to change them over carefully...
Old 27th Oct 2019, 2:14 pm   #15
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Complete o/haul of my Murphy A40 before Christmas,should have done it last Advent!

Trouble is when you are busy with other folks sets,like the Cobblers kids shoes,you never get around to your own!
Old 27th Oct 2019, 2:31 pm   #16
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I'd love to have my Uher miniline set working for Christmas...

Then there are the Leak speakers that need new crossovers, the Ferrograph hum and tape transport, rebuilding my valve pre-amp, assembling the Contax IIIa that's in pieces on the floor, fixing the hairspring on my grandfather's Seiko Seahorse...

Oh, and building the house!

Can we extend the projects into Winter Futures?!
Old 27th Oct 2019, 10:08 pm   #17
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Folks, very few projects in a winter as it is when you all want rewinds doing. This is also coupled to a visit to my son in Melbourne (for his DIY season), then when we get back SWMBO will want me doing house and garden jobs.
I need to get at least a split personality for all the projects.

Ed
Old 27th Oct 2019, 10:40 pm   #18
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I've got loads on the go

There's 4 teleprinters to get sorted and add to the I-Telex Network - 3 Electronic, 1 mechanical.

EKD 300 Receiver that was working and is now dead.

Redifon R551 to finish

VE301 Volksempfanger

Marconi TF2370 Spectrum analyser (unless anyone here wants one)

Oh, and a GEC Miniscope......

Winter isn't long enough
Old 27th Oct 2019, 11:02 pm   #19
joebog1
Banned

For me its back to my Laboratory Golden Ear amplifier that I stopped building because I couldn't see. I know it isn't winter, but I build things for the same reason you folks do in the Northern hemisphere. It's too damn horrible outside!!. We have already had a few 38 degree C days, and summer isn't here yet. I will post pics as I go.

Joe
Old 28th Oct 2019, 12:16 am   #20
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
I need to get at least a split personality for all the projects.
Only one! A five year old Granddaughter in the mix makes at least three for me
Closed Thread