UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2021, 11:32 am   #1
reeltoreelrob
Pentode

Default Ferguson 3248 recording problems

Hi all,
I am having a few problems recording on this Ferguson, the recording is generally not the best it seems to have distortion mostly on bassy parts of music, it doesn't matter if it's on manual or auto even when the level is set low in manual, recoding speech from the radio doesn't show up the problem.

Secondly when it has been recording for a while tracks 2.3 will virtually stop recording this only happens on tracks 2.3 the record meter continues to work.
Playback is fine connectors to heads are clean and tight.
I'm not a fan of changing caps for no reason but I have swapped the black ones can't remember what make they were but all out of spec. I know it's hard to diagnose online but any ideas would be great.

Thanks in advance
All the best Rob .

Last edited by reeltoreelrob; 7th Mar 2021 at 11:43 am.
Old 7th Mar 2021, 12:04 pm   #2
Mooly
Octode

Default Re: Ferguson 3248 recording problems

Distorted bass could be down to insufficient bias current. Might be something worth looking at.
Old 7th Mar 2021, 1:05 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

If not done already then try to get some electrical contact cleaner sprayed into the Track Selection and Record/Play switches (keep spray away from other parts) and afterwards exercise both switches many times.

Also ensure the combined Record/Play head and the erase head are really clean.

David
Old 7th Mar 2021, 10:21 pm   #4
reeltoreelrob
Pentode

Hi,
Thanks for the input, I will be looking at the points you have both made.
I bought it off eBay, it arrived badly damaged so had to get a donor set it is now looking good.
When I first had it the amplifier would stop working when it got warm but the change of capacitors sorted that, overall it's not got a bad sound considering it has a small speaker.
All the best Rob.
Closed Thread