UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jul 2014, 6:20 pm   #41
Panrock
Nonode

Default Re: Paint Stripping - "New" Nitromors is hopeless.

I'm having the same problem at the moment, trying to remove old Hammerite from a Mu-Metal CRT screening cover. I am at my wits end with it - now thinking of burning it off - will start a new thread...

Steve

Edit: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...508#post696508
Old 19th Jun 2016, 3:03 pm   #42
PsychMan
Octode

It may interest you guys that there is a
Product called "synstrip" by Starchem, available on an online auction site for "professional use only", and I believe Amazon. It contains Dichloromethane, and is stated by many to be as good as the old nitromors.

I've just ordered some after getting frustrated wasting money on new nitromors for stripping some decorative wood mouldings. At 25 quid or so for 5 litres it's also cheaper!

I'll report back how effective it is
Old 19th Jun 2016, 5:48 pm   #43
Nukeybrown
Heptode

I've used a product by Rustins called Strypit which has worked better than anything else I've used.
Old 20th Jun 2016, 9:05 am   #44
PSValves
Pentode

For what it's worth, since Nitromors changed their recipe, I've been using "Oven pride" cleaner which is essentially Na OH in a gel base. This makes it much easier to use because it tends to stay where it's put. Obviously it's still a very corrosive chemical and correct PPE is not optional (assuming you enjoy the use of your eyes and hands). Gets the paint off though, possibly even more effective than chloromethane.
Old 20th Jun 2016, 9:39 am   #45
Tractionist
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
Just a thought - has anyone tried to remove powder coated 'paint' that is applied as a powder that looks like laser toner and applied by electrostatic attraction and then baked on? No solvent is used.
Powder coating usually comprises an electrostatically charged powder applied by spray and then baked on. (No waste, no runs, no sagging, no bloom, no crazing, no orange peel ..... a primate could apply it. It also is supplied in any RAL colour etc.).

The powder is Synthapulvin and is essentially a form of Teflon - ergo it is heat and chemical resistant [thus it usually fails via chipping or a deterioration of the sub-strait to which it has been applied]. It is also very brittle and does chip - making for very difficult 'touching-up' or localised repairs ..... which is probably why it is not applied to car body panels etc.

The main methods of removal are a) acid tank dip, or b) heat baking and then a gentle grit blast. (Most alloy wheel restorers prefer the former ......)
Old 20th Jun 2016, 4:58 pm   #46
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Dichloromethane, if you want to use it, is still available as a reagent and solvent.
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 6:53 pm   #47
PsychMan
Octode

Yep, I can confirm Synstrip is pretty serious stuff!

Just applied some, and within 20-30 seconds the paint was peeling. It looks like the same result you may get from 3 or more coats of the new Nitromors
Old 9th Aug 2016, 8:59 pm   #48
RT 1006
Tetrode

Thanks for sharing that info, it's very useful, I'll make a note of this for the future as I too have had bother finding any 'new formula' paint stripper that actually strips paint.

Last edited by AC/HL; 10th Aug 2016 at 3:10 pm. Reason: OT aside edited
Old 10th Aug 2016, 12:16 am   #49
AC/HL
Dekatron

Also, see post 31 and 32 here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=125530
Old 10th Aug 2016, 8:38 am   #50
ms660
Dekatron

Here's how to use Nitromors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLTpqeat_mg

Lawrence.
Old 7th Sep 2016, 11:02 am   #51
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I knew I should have looked here first.

I'm doing some regular household DIY - stripping doors, exterior wood paneling, etc. I bought a 2L tin of Nitromors (£32) and it is indeed hopeless. Hardly an impression on the job and the lot is gone. The front of the tin proclaims "Super Strength" - pause while I emit a cynical laugh. "Repeat as necessary" it says on the instructions - well, as I am a fair way into middle age and I don't want to be still doing this job in my dotage I have resorted to burning the paint off with a blowtorch.
Old 7th Sep 2016, 1:07 pm   #52
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdrive View Post
Here's how to use Nitromors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLTpqeat_mg

Lawrence.
"This video is unavailable" comes up when I looked.

Anyone else got the same problem? It could be a work related issue maybe- we have a Germany based ISP. It doesn't look like the usual work related "Net Nanny" thing since it's Youtube in origin.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 7th Sep 2016, 1:32 pm   #53
yesnaby
Octode

Same here.
Old 7th Sep 2016, 2:49 pm   #54
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
"Repeat as necessary" it says on the instructions - well, as I am a fair way into middle age and I don't want to be still doing this job in my dotage
In view of the amount of time it takes to remove paint then perhaps it should be called Nitrosnores

Symon.
Old 7th Sep 2016, 4:14 pm   #55
Goldie99
Heptode

It's beginning to look like the various forms of sand- / grit- / bead- / shell- etc..... blasting are becoming more and more 'attractive', especially now I've used my last tin of (original) Nitromors...
Old 7th Sep 2016, 5:18 pm   #56
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
It's kind of curious that on 19th July I gave a nod to Wickes' product and someone else gave a nod to Wilkos' product, but seems like those inputs have been overlooked. Paint stripping has come up before on the forum and I recall that one member was impressed by "Ecostrip" (I think) which is available from Homebase. Curiously, that too seems to have been overlooked. Yesterday someone gave a nod to B&Q's product; time will tell.
There are alternatives, recommended by forum members, that may be worth a try if the branded types are unsuitable.
Old 7th Sep 2016, 6:13 pm   #57
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Cascamite isn't a problem as it's made from casein - a derivative of milk. The only problem with it is that as with two-part epoxy, you always make more than is needed, so some goes to waste!

As to varnishes and paint, I try only to us those that carry the warning 'High VOCs' (Volatile Organic Compounds), and where the instructions for brush cleaning state 'Clean With White Spirits'. Some brush or roller applied water-based paints are good, but I've never had success in using brush-applied water-based varnish. That said, water-based acrylic aerosols - both paint and varnish - seem excellent, and of course industrially, most if not all cars are now sprayed with acrylic - not cellulose based paints, due largely to safety considerations.

Back to the original thread, the reason that paint strippers such as Nitromors or whatever aren't as effective as they used to be is that stripper using dichloromethane (DCM), which includes the original Nitromors formulation, have been banned for use by the general public for some years now. I'd reiterate what I said in an earlier thread, where I mentioned DCM based 'Paramose' which is vicious stuff and highly effective, but can't be bought by the general public.

The main provisions of the Regulations as they stand are:

The decision concerns:

1. A ban on the placing on the market of dichloromethane (DCM)-based paint strippers for use by the general public after 6 December 2011.
2. A ban on the placing on the market of DCM-based paint strippers for use by professionals after 6 December 2011.
3. A ban on the use of DCM-based paint strippers by professionals after 6 June 2012 with the option for Member States to permit continued use subject to certain conditions.
4. Additional safety measures for the use of CM-based paint strippers in industrial installations.
5. Improved labelling of DCM-based paint strippers.

Latest developments:

The Decision was adopted by the Parliament and the Council on 6 May 2009 and was published in the Official Journal of the European Union on 3 June 2009. It has now become a Commission Regulation formally amending REACH (Commission Regulation (EU) No. 276/2010).

Source:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/aboutus/europe...oromethane.htm

But that said, DCM based Langlow 'Strip Away Pro' 'remover/stripper' which is the 'real deal' is still on sale via Amazon to the general public, though for how much longer is anyone's guess:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LANGLOW-REM...7JVS61DQNKNX51

I can testify to its effectiveness - ride at your own risk!
Old 8th Sep 2016, 10:42 am   #58
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
. . . I have resorted to burning the paint off with a blowtorch.
Which is what I am doing at present: in the process of renovating the interior doors and frames in this 100 year-old Edwardian semi-detached house. Needless to say, suitable precautions are always taken!

Al.
Old 8th Sep 2016, 11:22 am   #59
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Yeah - you have to be careful. I did a Georgian house twenty-odd years ago with a blowtorch, which must have had dozens of coats over the years. The older ones were based on heavy metals - lead etc - and the curls of paint hit the floorboard with a resounding thud. I took all the doors off though and took them to a professional stripper, where they immerse the entire door in a bath of something nasty.
Old 8th Sep 2016, 12:18 pm   #60
Herald1360
Dekatron

Don't they use caustic soda? Still freely available, but I suspect more immediately nasty to get splashed with than DCM.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread