UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2020, 7:55 pm   #1
radio88
Triode

Default Schematic for a simple "One valve radio"

Hello,

I would like to have a go at building a simple "One valve radio".

I have some experience in electronics but only in building "simple transistor radios etc.

I have never used valves before but I have recently acquired lots valves which belonged to my late grandfather, also capacitors, resistors, variable capacitors, coils, inductors etc.

Im pretty sure I have everything that I should need to complete the radio but I am unsure "which valve" to use as I cannot find a schematic which uses a valve which I already have.
(my valves listed below)

I know some of these are high voltage . (I would rather keep the voltage low 6-12-36v as I am a beginner and don't want to fry myself.

Would someone kindly tell me which valve would work OK and a schematic.

6SQ7, 6SJ7, 6J5, 65N7, 0-09 188-5, 6N, 12SK7GT, 6SQ7, PL504, PL500, 89Y, 6AG7, EY88, DY807, PY88, DY87, DY802, UCH81, UCL82 ECF80, PCF802, UY85, PCF82 , UY85, PCL82, PCL200, PCL85, PCL86 ECH84, PCL84 EL183, EF185, PCF80 , 30FL1, BF90, EAA96, 6ALS, EF80, EF183, EF184, UF89, PCH200, ECC82, PCF80, EF183, 6F28, PC86, PCC189, PCC88, EF80, EF183, EAA91, PCF802, 3Q4, 6ALS, 6AL5, PC900, ECF801, 6GJ7, 811A, ME66A, EBL31, CKR1624, 50L6 GT, PL36 ACFC, EL36, PL36, DD, 280 2-30, A06, 280 552, LCH 280 9-09, 280 452,204, EL504, EY88, IB3GT, PL504, DC CBS

Thanks
Old 19th Feb 2020, 8:05 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Schematic for a simple "One valve radio"

These are almost all mains valves, intended for operation from a 6.3V transformer supply or in series across the mains. Do you intend to build a suitable power supply, or were you hoping to run your radio from LT and HT batteries?
Old 19th Feb 2020, 8:58 pm   #3
radio88
Triode

Thanks for the info,
I do have many different transformers ranging from 6v to 36v. They are the ready built type 240v AC to DC at 2 amps, If you know of a simple one valve radio which would work with one of the valves listed let me know which to choose and a simple schematic if possible. Thanks
Old 19th Feb 2020, 9:21 pm   #4
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

If you want to push the boat out and do two valves, then I can confidently recommend this old "Practical Wireless" design; http://www.vintageradio.me.uk/radconnav/2_valve.htm, though is intended for use on the shortwave band. It originally used a 63V battery.

You didn't say what frequency range you are interested in.

I suspect that most of your valves are intended for use in TV's, and as Paul advised, intended for use with mains-powered sets.

B
Old 19th Feb 2020, 9:41 pm   #5
Aub
Nonode

An 811A 😍
Old 19th Feb 2020, 9:57 pm   #6
radio88
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
If you want to push the boat out and do two valves, then I can confidently recommend this old "Practical Wireless" design; http://www.vintageradio.me.uk/radconnav/2_valve.htm, though is intended for use on the shortwave band. It originally used a 63V battery.

You didn't say what frequency range you are interested in.

I suspect that most of your valves are intended for use in TV's, and as Paul advised, intended for use with mains-powered sets.

B
Any frequency will do, its just the pleasure of building a radio with a valve.
the 2 valve radio looks great but I would rather start off with something simpler.
If none of the valves I have are suitable I will buy one. not sure which...
Thanks
Old 19th Feb 2020, 10:00 pm   #7
radio88
Triode

It would be awesome to use one of the large valves like the 811A and have it on display.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 10:23 pm   #8
paulsherwin

Aub was joking. The 811A is completely inappropriate.

The Gilbert Davey one valve designs will work with any small signal pentode, of which you have quite a few in your list. Your EF80 and EF184 would be ideal, assuming they're in good working condition of course.

http://www.daveysradios.org.uk/
Old 19th Feb 2020, 10:25 pm   #9
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Radio 88, I may have a coil and variable cap if you need them.

Ed
Old 19th Feb 2020, 11:04 pm   #10
radio88
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Aub was joking. The 811A is completely inappropriate.

The Gilbert Davey one valve designs will work with any small signal pentode, of which you have quite a few in your list. Your EF80 and EF184 would be ideal, assuming they're in good working condition of course.

http://www.daveysradios.org.uk/
Yes I thought you might be joking after I looked up the 811A. its a great looking valve though, would be nice to see it on display.

Oh that's great, so some of my valves will work! I will dig out the EF80 and the EF184, I will try to test them, I know how to light them up with 6v but no idea to fully test them. I have a lot to learn.

Sorry to ask such basic questions but on the following link it says HL2K or similar valve, so if I use for example my EF80 are the pins the same? I just need to figure out what is what.
http://www.daveysradios.org.uk/b1v.html
Old 19th Feb 2020, 11:11 pm   #11
radio88
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
Hi Radio 88, I may have a coil and variable cap if you need them.
Very kind of you to offer. Actually I have quite a few components including variable caps and coils after inheriting my granddad's hoard of old electronic equipment.
Hopefully I can make a radio or two out of it.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 11:14 pm   #12

I have (somewhere) a small slim blue book about making a valve radio, I bet it is online somewhere. It is! From our beloved runner of this site too https://www.vintage-radio.info/download.php?id=739

Old 19th Feb 2020, 11:26 pm   #13
radio88
Triode

Nice little book, thanks
Old 20th Feb 2020, 4:05 am   #14
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

You can use the 6SN7, you will need a power supply of 6.3V for the heaters (6v will be fine) and 90v for the HT line.

As the 90V current will be low, you can use 10, 9v transistor batteries connected in series for the 90V to start with.

Then, if you feel a bit more confident, you can build a proper power supply later.

https://www.frostburg.edu/personal/l...schematic.html
Old 20th Feb 2020, 12:25 pm   #15
paulsherwin

The pins will be different depending on the valve chosen (though as it happens the EF80 and EF184 have the same pinout). Davey tended to use valves that were old and obsolescent at the time he was writing, as these were available cheaply. You should look at several simple valve designs and try to understand what's going on rather than building something by slavishly following an old project from a book or magazine.

Lots of designs to look at here: http://www.vintageradio.me.uk/radconnav/valvetrf/
Old 20th Feb 2020, 4:36 pm   #16
greenstar
Octode

Valves like the EF80 and probably many others can be used with batteries, connecting one filament side to the cathode - i think that then must be -ve. There are circuits on the web, 6vLT and 12v or more HT usually. They can also be used as triodes by connecting two grids to the anode. so will work in a lot of simple circuits. Look on the web and Youtube.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 4:55 pm   #17
TonyDuell
Dekatron

There was a 1-valve radio kit produced by the educational company Thames and Kosmos called the Radio Ace. It used a double triode valve, ECC82 with a single 12V battery (8 AA cells in series) for the heaters (both sections of the heater in series) and anode (HT+) supplies.

The circuit is on-line and there are also some suggested modifications here :

http://members.iinet.net.au/~cool386/kits/ace.html
Old 20th Feb 2020, 4:57 pm   #18
paulsherwin

Most valves with 6.3V heaters do pull 300mA, which is quite a lot from a battery.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 5:37 pm   #19
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I just spent a short time here https://www.americanradiohistory.com...s_Magazine.htm looking at back issues of Practical Wireless, dated around the late 50's-early sixties, and I'm sure there were some one-valve projects, but didn't find one.

My view is that when you're beginning, the thing that is most important is that whatever you build actually WORKS! If it doesn't, you'll probably lose interest and might never come back. In some ways, the legacy of the valves you have is bad because it's pushing you to look for designs that use those valves, rather than good, proven designs. Not everything that was ever published turned out to be any good!

B
Old 20th Feb 2020, 7:47 pm   #20
ericelectric
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio88 View Post
Thanks for the info,
I do have many different transformers ranging from 6v to 36v. They are the ready built type 240v AC to DC at 2 amps, If you know of a simple one valve radio which would work with one of the valves listed let me know which to choose and a simple schematic if possible. Thanks
you could use an ef80 pentode valve
Closed Thread