UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2020, 3:08 pm   #1
Bagman1
Diode

Default Can anyone identify this radio? 1925ish

This was my grandfather's. I think it's from 1925 and it may be Fellows but it doesn't look like any of the models I've seen. It's got two variable capacitors and three variable resistors, one next to each valve. The valves are Fellows Louden F2, Marconi R5V and Ediswan AR (possibly; no markings). Bits missing and I don't know if the loose variable capacitor shown is part of it. Any info welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200224_131447.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	199850   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200224_125236.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	199851  
Old 28th Feb 2020, 11:46 pm   #2
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Default Re: Can anyone identify this radio? 1925ish

I wonder if it may be a home made set. The fact that there is no maker's name stamped into the Ebonite and - to be honest - the untidy wiring suggest that this may not have been a professionally produced model. The missing component above the centre valve was presumably a dual coil holder.
Old 29th Feb 2020, 7:51 am   #3
FIXITNOW
Octode

Does look like home made, possibly from one of the mags of the time. Not one I have noticed but there are a lot off mags-blueprints out there.
Old 29th Feb 2020, 8:36 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Probably quite restorable, the parts are not too difficult to find but could be expensive if you wanted a full coil set. It will work on cheaper valves from the 50's.

I've seen several sets with this layout over the years so it was probably copied from a popular design.

Ed
Old 2nd Mar 2020, 10:48 pm   #5
Bagman1
Diode

Thanks guys, My Mum did describe it as a 'kit' so I guess he built it himself. I wouldn't have a clue how to restore it and I have no testing gear. Maybe I could start by finding a circuit diagram? Can anyone point me to a circuit diagram for this kind of set? I guess the other components are resistors and capacitors; what did they look like in those days? There's a transformer (at least it looks like a transformer); how do I find out what the supply voltage is supposed to be mains?

Thinking about it, I've just realised where my Grandad would have learnt his (dodgy!) wiring skills; he was a military 'engineer'. I think he wired explosives; I guess he got into radio when peace broke out.
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 5:59 am   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The transformer is almost certainly to couple the (audio) signal between valves and not part of a power supply.

A set like that would run on batteries. A 'low tension' one for the valve filaments, probably a lead-acid accumulator. And a 'high tension' one for the valve anode circuits, this was probably 'tapped' to provided several different voltages for different parts of the circuit.
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 8:24 am   #7
FIXITNOW
Octode

the 6 terminals on the right would be for the various battery voltages, those on the left aerial and earth and bottom ones for head phones
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 12:44 pm   #8
bileaflet_valve
Tetrode

Possibly three batteries in total: low tension (filaments), high tension (anode circuits) and a Grid Bias battery too?

Do you have a case that the set fits into?

Restored, it would be a nice set!

Les.
Old 8th Mar 2020, 5:32 pm   #9
Bagman1
Diode

I don't have a case Les, all I've got is what's in the pics. I guess the case got used for something else during the last century. It bears quite a resemblance to the Fellows Fellowphone Little Giant Three (except for the variable resistors in my Grandad's version) and I know that some of the components were ordered from Fellows. Fellowphone 3:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	little_giant_three_1646492.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	200538  
Closed Thread